• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

80ish-mm spotters and mobility. (1 Viewer)

mskb

All, I was wondering if birders here find 80-85mm scopes too restrictive for mobility, travel and day hikes? I wish to replace my Kowa 663M+TE-9Z. I am finding 60ish mm scopes to be fantastic for traveling or long haul birding walks but I personally find the viewing comfort (even for the range of 30-45X magnifications) to be wayyyyy better with the heavier 80ish mm scopes. So much so that every time I look through the 60mm beyond 30X, I wish I was using an 80ish-mm spotter! But, I have not tried lugging around a heavier scope yet. Budget constraints mean I am unable to choose both objective sizes.

So I am confused which way to go. If you could share your experiences handling both sizes that would help greatly!

( I do realize the option of adding Kowa's 30X wide, but I do need the higher magnifications at least up to about 45X in the field. To replace the 663M, my top considerations currently are the ATS65 and the Meopta S2. If a good deal doesn't pan out on either, I am thinking about the Nikon Monarch 82. I will get a chance to checkout a Vortex Razor 85 Gen II soon. I likely will not go for the Opticron MM4 77 as my dealer does not carry them. I have ergonomic difficulties with the bigger Kowas TE-11WZ EPs and so they are out of consideration. I do not need the mighty ATX. I also do not wish to go to much bigger objective sizes unless the weight is comparable or the much compact 50mm sizes. If you have any other suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them! )

Thanks,
Kumar

I carry an old 66mm refractor about that’s 2.2kg (plus a bit for eyepieces) and some binoculars. Fine for walking about all day, so I don’t think you’ll have too much problem, as long as it finds your backpack (with a bit of space for some padding). I’d also think about what sort of tripod and head you’ve got as these will weigh you down too and so a heavier scope. I’ve carried a 4kg optic around too, but I wouldn’t want to do too much hill climbing with it. You could always determine your tolerance for weight by adding a few drinks cans to your current kit and seei grow you get on.

Peter

All, I had a chance to take the Razor HD 85 II on the field today. I had the K663M + TE-9Z as well. I have decided not to replace the K633 but stretch the budget, add an 80ish, use them both in parallel and decide later.

Not only were the colors from the little Kowa fantastic, but its CA control relative to the Razor HD, even in the image center was rather significantly better. The ease and field of view was however certainly better with the Razor 85. How I wish the bigger Kowas had worked out for me! At this point, it looks like I will start by adding the S2 / the Monarch 82ED-A.

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back