• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P5100 (2 Viewers)

Karim,
Excellent test image at 50x on the zoom eyepiece.
Select Macro Mode and zoom the camera lens to the end of the Green zone (10.1 mm or 47 mm ). I shoot in this mode most of the time. I use Continuous and hold down the shutter for 3 frames at full resolution or 6 frames at 8 megs. I use Spot Metering and Spot Focus. For White or black birds I usually set Manual Exposure so as not to confuse the meter.
Good luck, Neil.

Thank very much, Neil for advices. I am getting myself familiar with the camera now and may be trying to get some bird photos tomorrow.

Thank you again. May God bless you. Happy birding.

Karim Madoya.

P5100 Auto Focus

I've been quite impressed with the AF of the P5100 which is faster than the P5000. Just enough to get one frame of a Little Ringed Plover feeding around in the mud. This is a good test for an auto focus system. It's good up to about 2/3rds zoom , but after that you have to be more careful and find something with good contrast to focus on (eg legs,ground,branch ).
These were taken at 115 mm (24.5mm ) on the zoom (max is 123 mm ). It's hard to get the AF to work at full zoom in less than perfect light.
Neil.

Nikon P5100 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw 30x eyepiece and DCA adapter.

Hong Kong,
China.
October 2007

Attachments

• little ringed plover.P5100.30x24.5mm.nware DSCN4818.jpg
    little ringed plover.P5100.30x24.5mm.nware DSCN4818.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,260
  • greenshank.doze.P5100.115mm  DSCN2251.jpg
    greenshank.doze.P5100.115mm DSCN2251.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 1,166
Neil,

Very sharp pics. Congrads. How to you keep the rig stable ? What tripod and head are you using ?

Regards
Jules

Jules,
For my mudflat digiscoping I use a small Slik tripond at it's lowest setting with the legs spread wide and jammed into the sand ( I sit on the sand for this type of digiscoping ). I have the Manfrotto 501 Video Head with the arm turned up so that I can hold the arm and the shutter with the same hand while focusing with the other.
Neil.

Hi Neil,
Here are my test photos taken this morning and afternoon. Very much better this Nikon P5100 compare with the two other cameras that I have. I am very happy with this camera. Thank you very much Neil for advices.
KM1.jpg KM2.jpg

KM3.jpg KM4.jpg

hi karim great pics what set up did you use
Hi,
This is my digiscoping tools:

1. Kowa Spotting scope TSN-884
2. Kowa Digital Camera adapter TSN-DA10
3. Kowa Shutter Release cable Stay TSN-DA4-RS
4. Shutter Release cable
5. Kowa 20-60X Zoom Eyepiece TE-10Z
6. Kowa Universal Camera Adapter TSN-DA4
7. Kowa Universal Mount System Short type TSN-DA3ST ( This one is not really necessary but good for balancing and add more weight to tripod which reduces vibration of digiscoping system during windy day)
8. Nikon P5100 Compact digital camera.

Here is my setup photograph with Lumix camera.
DSCF9226999.jpg

Regards

Karim Madoya.

I had a chance to test out the P5100 at distance over land yesterday when this Black Kite was very cooperative at a distance of about 150 metres. Neil

Attachments

• black kite.view2 DSCN5199.jpg
    black kite.view2 DSCN5199.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 901
  • black kite.P5100 DSCN5212.jpg
    black kite.P5100 DSCN5212.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 1,200
I had a chance to test out the P5100 at distance over land yesterday when this Black Kite was very cooperative at a distance of about 150 metres. Neil

Amazing ! How many X was that Neil ? It has to be a lot more than the 60X generally recognized practical limit for digiscoping.

Jules,
I was probably using the Swaro 45x and 87 mm in the camera lens at that time so it was 45 x 87 mm = 3915 mm or 78x magnification. The reference photo was taken at 47 mm , which is about normal vision. Neil.

Hi guys, I wonder if one you could anwer a couple of questions for me as I'm considering this gem as a new digiscoping tool.

Does the P5100 have a good battery life?

And can you save your fav settings like on the canons?

Cheers.

Paul,
The battery life is amongst the best I've tried. One battery will last 2/3rds of a day (without flash ). I have 3 batteries for it (it takes the same battery as the P5000 ) so I never have to worry , even on an overnight shoot.
It has two User settings for programming your preferences. It starts up with the same settings you have recorded.
The only things I miss are the Rotatable Screen ( I like to shoot low to the ground when I can and I have a straight scope ) and a fast frame rate ( the Nikon 8400 is 2.3 frames/sec up to 5 frames ). Digiscoping a Sanderling or Wagtail feeding becomes more of a challenge at 0.8 frames/sec but the faster AF than the P5000 does help here.
Good luck, Neil.

Paul,
This was one of a lot of sunbird photos taken with the P5100 on my recent trip to India. It was a good test of the AF and the screen as I didn't have time to check scope focus. I tried to focus on the feet of the bird or the flower it was feeding on as the head was moving fast . This is about a 50% crop out of the camera. No other adjustments. Good light from 8 metres.
Neil

Attachments

• purple sunbird.unadj DSCN6135.jpg
    purple sunbird.unadj DSCN6135.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 811
Had the P5100 out again early this morning to capture another grey heron photo. Neil

Nikon P5100 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw 30x eyepiece and DCA adapter

Hong Kong,
China.
November 2007

Attachments

• grey heron DSCN7611.jpg
    grey heron DSCN7611.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 710
Very sharp picture Neil.

I also got a P5100. I should get the lens adapter and stepping ring today or tomorrow. I'm eager to try it and will report on the results.

Regards
Jules

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back