• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown night bird, Kent, England (1 Viewer)

romillyh

romillyh
thank you

Thanks for the id -- seems there's general agreement on this! I'd posted the query on Nature Recordists the day before but as initially there was no id over there I posted here. ID in no time!! However someone on Nature Recordists eventually came up with an informative reply, part of which I quote below.

"This is a Moorhen. Rails on migration or dispersing do so at night and perform calls trying to contact others. Since quite some birders do not know these calls well and were wondering what such UFO-birds might be, some Dutch birders have in the 1960's considered Long-eared Owl an option. This tale went on and on and nowadays is difficult to get eradicated. This applies to both Moorhen and Coot, your bird was a Moorhen. ..."

Thanks also to all those who were kind enough to listen to the clip. At least there's now a recording available of the night call of the UFO-bird!

romillyh

They also have a nocturnal songflight, in which they make calls like this as they flying around the territory. I always think they sound much more like young GSW than owls!

Poecile said

>> They also have a nocturnal songflight, in which they make calls like this as they flying around the territory. <<

Can you expand on that as the point is this doesn't seem to be a migrating or dispersing bird -- it's been there for three years, at least during May when I'm most often out nights, so there seems to be a "territory". And yes, it does seem to be a nocturnal flight song as I've heard it making this call as it flies over the fields. That was what it was doing in the clip, when it just happened to pass in front of the dish. At other times it's perched -- it seems to have a roost in a tree some way behind where I record at a Tawny Owl nestbox and I've heard it there many, many times. Always at night though.

romillyh

Not much more to say really - Moorhens and other rails make nocturnal songflights, in which they circuit their territory at about tree-height or higher, giving regular calls as if in some kind of territorial song. This is during the breeding season, not during migration or dispersal (when they may well make other calls but I'm not clued up on that).

nearby water

You caught me out telling a small fib there! I've checked with my OS map and Google satellite imagery and there IS a small garden pond 350 m north of where they roost. This is within what I believe to be their "territory". There's also a small stream 600 m (nearest point) over to the west, though whether this flows in dry weather I wouldn't be sure -- it's a small affair. I haven't heard them over there. Another nearer stream in their patch is marked on the OS but I know for a fact it almost never has water. Very nearby (75 m from the roost) there's a small hole about 5 m across that fills in wet weather (like recently) but I know they don't use it as I pass it frequently

Anyway, there you go. Guess they must use the garden pond! Or maybe just the damp ditch you suggest.

romillyh

Moorhens don't like open water they prefer vegetated areas they can occupy areas that wouldn't show up on OS maps, like waterlogged fields or areas, drainage ditches. I have seen lots of them together in fields with no apparent water close by.

useful link

Just for the record, as this thread's probably reaching the end of its useful life, here's a link to an informative page about the confusion these night-time calls by Moorhens and Coots have caused. The discussion is mainly about Coots, which apparently also have a distinctive night flying call. In the Netherlands these calls have been mistakenly attributed to Long-eared Owls. The page is by Rombout de Wijs, who kindly provided the info in message 5. Here's the link:

http://www.home.zonnet.nl/myotis/owlcoot.htm

There are five recordings of the Coot's night call, including one made during the daytime when the bird could be positively ideed.

romillyh

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back