• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in a big city, Barcelona (2 Viewers)

Allen S. Moore

Isle of Man
I spent 10 days in eastern Spain in April, the first 3 being in Barcelona. I was a bit surprised to observe 47 species of birds, which must be the most ever in my 10 visits to the city. I even saw 11 species from the bus on the way in to the centre of the city on the morning of the 6th, including swallows, that I also saw around the airport just after getting off the Easyjet. The other species seen from the bus were kestrel, yellow-legged gulls, woodpigeon, feral pigeons, alpine swift, house martin, white wagtail, jackdaw, magpies and house sparrows. In a small park near my hotel there were monk parakeets, an escaped species that is seen and heard all over Barcelona. I enjoy strolling around Barcelona, seeing the sights and sampling the food. I headed out and in the evening I had a meal at cafe by Església de Santa Maria del Mar, seeing a little egret fly past.

Easter Saturday, the 7th, was the fifth anniversary of my credit card being stolen by a trio of so-called "tourist police," so with valuables safely locked away I headed off along the street (great tit singing in a tree) to a favourite open space, Parc de la Ciutadella. The monk parakeets were joined by the larger blue-crowned parakeets. The park is a great place for birds, as far as my experience of big cities goes. Around the entrance from Passeig de Lluís Companys I saw another kestrel, common swift, goldfinch, robin, blackbird, blue tit and common starling. Just inside the Park I was pleasantly surprised to see a woodchat shrike, although I had also seen one there a few years ago, and there were 3 willow warblers singing, a new species for my holidays in SW Europe. Two grey wagtails were flying about by the Cascade, where there were also mallards and a moorhen. Other birds in the park included collared dove, spotless starling, goldcrest, crested tit, coal tit (heard), blackcap, common chiffchaff and serin. Larger birds flying over the park included a grey heron and, much more surprisingly, a cormorant.

Leaving Parc de la Ciutadella, I walked along to Port Vell, where I saw black-headed gulls, another mallard and a sandwich tern. Later in the day I stopped to watch a group of musicians outside the famous Bar Zurich in Plaça de Catalunya. Standing with my back to La Rambla, I glanced up and saw the distinctive flight of a hoopoe. Flying overhead, it disappearing over the rooftops by La Rambla.

A few days before I went on holiday I saw on the Rare Birds Spain website that there had been a marmora's warbler and the black-headed subspecies of the yellow wagtail at the mouth of Riu Besòs in the NE of the city, so I decided to see if I could get to the river mouth (Riu in Catalan translates to river in English). I had bought the Michelin Barcelona street plan and, thus armed, on the morning of the 8th I set off on the Metro to Maresme Fòrum and then began walking. The road was leading towards an area where a lot of building was going on, so I took a left and then a right turn to try to avoid that. However, there were a lot of fences for more building work along that road, as well as a rather poor residential area, including a building housing the gypsy cultural centre. It had been an inauspicious start to a birdwatching trip and I began to wonder whether I should be there at all, but I kept walking. Dipping through an underpass beneath a motorway, a road on the right looked on the map as if it was leading to a bridge over the the river, so I followed that for a short distance. The road was little more than a dirt track and led towards some more building sites, "en obras" on the map. I decided to turn left at the next junction through a small residential area that looked as if it was a country village that had been surrounded by the city. As well as the small houses and some trees, there were a few birds - a swallow perched on roadside wires, a greenfinch sang as it flew and a song thrush lived up to its name.

The perseverance worked, and I reached a bridge over the Riu Besòs. There were new looking cycle tracks along each grassy bank, so I went down to the track along the south bank and walked towards the sea. I was pleasantly surprised to see a number of wetland birds in and along the river - 4 cetti's warblers, a common sandpiper, 3 common redshanks, 2 black-winged stilts and a few mallards and black-headed gulls. At the next bridge, the last before the sea, there was a sign prohibiting access from the river bank, so I walked up a ramp and eventually reached the road crossing the bridge, passing an overgrown shrubby area where there was a woodchat shrike and a blackcap. Looking downstream there were more water birds, including a cormorant, moorhen and kentish plover. A man cycled over the bridge with his poodle dog on his back, its front legs on his shoulders and the back legs balanced on his money bag on the base of his back. The dog did not seem bothered at all. I had never seen the likes before, but my camera was in my rucksack! Once over the bridge I followed the north bank of the river a short distance to the beach. By a pool just in from the sea was a little-ringed plover, and 2 swallows and a house martin headed up the river. There was very little open ground except for the river bank and beach, the area being squeezed between a chemical or petroleum works (lots of pipes, anyway) on the south side and a power station just north. Various common birds flew over the river, like magpie and collared dove, and there were 2 white wagtails on the beach. Deciding that it was time to head back in to the city, I crossed a small park, where I saw another woodchat shrike, and caught the tram back into the city centre where, after a fairly warm walk, I was in time to watch the Sardana danced in front of the Cathedral. Nine jackdaws flew over, which must be the largest flock of the species that I have ever seen in Barcelona!

My last birds of the day were around Gaudi's mighty church, La Sagrada Familia, which I visited at dusk - yellow-legged gulls, robin, blackbird, serin and 6 common swifts. It was not quite dark, but several bats flew around. These seemed to be of 2 species, as one bat was a bit bigger than the others.

I was pleased to have seen 47 species of birds in Barcelona in the 3 days, including 36 on the 7th. At least some of the wading birds at the river mouth were migrants, and many of the passerine species certainly were on passage. Spring migration is obviously a good time for someone interested in birds to visit Barcelona!

24 hours in Barcelona

I enjoyed 3 days in Barcelona earlier in the month, but the first 2 of those were spent outside the city on excellent day trips with Stephen Christopher - thanks for those, Stephen.

I had one whole day in Barcelona, 7th May, on which I recorded 25 species of birds, with another 2 on the way to Barcelona Airport the next morning. I visited the same open spaces on the 7th as on my April 2007 visit, seeing rather fewer species than during those 3 days as there were fewer migrant waders and passerines this time. Indeed, the only waders that I saw on my visit on the 7th were 2 little ringed plovers on a gravel bank in Riu Besòs. I recorded 4 species of warblers that day, a blackcap in scrub by Avinguda Meridiana along from Torre Agbar and the rest singing in long vegetation by Riu Besòs - 4 cetti's warblers, 2 fan-tailed warblers and a reed warbler. You don't usually see many birds in Barri Gòtic, the oldest part of the city, except for feral rock doves, but this time I saw a female blackbird feeding on crumbs in the very narrow Carrer de la Lleona, close to Plaça Reial. The blackbird flew up the 5 or so storeys and disappeared over a roof, but it is anyone's guess where it would be nesting.

I had a real treat that evening, watching a pair of peregrines at La Sagrada Familia, the great unfinished church. True enough, I see them often enough back home in the Isle of Man and had seen one the day before in the Pre-Pyrenees with Stephen. However, it was great to be watching the peregrines around this iconic church.

Other species seen during the day were mallard, moorhen, yellow-legged gull, woodpigeon, collared dove, monk parakeet, swift, swallow, house martin, white wagtail, magpie, jackdaw, starling, spotless starling, house sparrow, serin and goldfinch.

On the way to the Airport bus early the next morning there was a common chiffchaff singing in Plaça de Catalunya, and from the bus I saw 2 alpine swifts with their common relatives further out.

Oh for the next visit!

I thought we were the only people who bothered with Riu Besos, Allen, but it seems from your first report that you were there before us. We didn't have as much trouble as you getting access and we were pleased to pick up a Spectacled Warbler in the scrubby bushes north of the last bridge (railway) in September 2007. Not so much about last September (a few Common Redstarts plus the Fan-tailed Warblers and Cetti's) but we did witness some sort of flash flood that flushed all the waders before we got there - it was like a mini-tidal wave coming down the valley and one minute there was a shallow river with gravel banks and exposed rocks and seconds later the whole riverbed was full of water and the roccks and gravel had disappeared.

If you ever get that way in the autumn, there's a decent raptor migration watch point up near Tibidabo. Stephen can give you directions - we had an excellent day out with him last year. We actually failed to find it until it was too late but we did see Peregrine, Hobby, Osprey, Honey Buzzard and (I think) Short-toed Eagle overhead whilst we were looking for it. Hoping to give it a try in late September this year now that we have an idea about how to get there.

I thought we were the only people who bothered with Riu Besos, Allen, but it seems from your first report that you were there before us. We didn't have as much trouble as you getting access and we were pleased to pick up a Spectacled Warbler in the scrubby bushes north of the last bridge (railway) in September 2007. Not so much about last September (a few Common Redstarts plus the Fan-tailed Warblers and Cetti's) but we did witness some sort of flash flood that flushed all the waders before we got there - it was like a mini-tidal wave coming down the valley and one minute there was a shallow river with gravel banks and exposed rocks and seconds later the whole riverbed was full of water and the roccks and gravel had disappeared.

If you ever get that way in the autumn, there's a decent raptor migration watch point up near Tibidabo. Stephen can give you directions - we had an excellent day out with him last year. We actually failed to find it until it was too late but we did see Peregrine, Hobby, Osprey, Honey Buzzard and (I think) Short-toed Eagle overhead whilst we were looking for it. Hoping to give it a try in late September this year now that we have an idea about how to get there.

Thanks, pandachris,

Yes, I realised this time that it is a lot easier to get to Riu Besos using the tram. Some of the walkways along the river were closed this time because of building work close to the south bank.

The flash flood sounds unusual. I suppose that, as with my sighting of the cyclist with his dog on his back, it happened without you managing to take a photograph!

I read about the raptor watchpoint some time ago, probably on the forum. Although I enjoy spring visits to Catalunya most of all, if I am there one autumn I'll explore the possibilities of visiting the watchpoint.

Allen

Our annual pilgrimage is always late September and is probably our least "birdy" holiday, because we're really there for the Merce festival, but we've been squeezing in a bit more birding in the last few years and even managed a lifer last September when we were out with Stephen, in the shape of Great Bustards. We're thinking of having a few days in the Pyrenees before the festival this year.

La Sagrada Familia

I had a real treat that evening, watching a pair of peregrines at La Sagrada Familia, the great unfinished church. True enough, I see them often enough back home in the Isle of Man and had seen one the day before in the Pre-Pyrenees with Stephen. However, it was great to be watching the peregrines around this iconic church.

If anyone knows how these peregrines got on, it would be interesting to know.
Thanks.
Allen

Been to Barcelona once, but that was before my birding days. Now I see what I missed! Nice report. :)

Raptors just outside the city

Thanks, pandachris,

I found a website about Parc de Collserola, where the raptor migration observations are carried out. The website is
www.parccollserola.net
On the first screen click on Activitats guiades and that leads to Observació rapinyaries. That shows a diagram of daily records for much of September and October for many species of raptors and also storks.

Enjoy your visit in September.

Allen

Last edited:
Thanks Allen - and thank goodness for Latin names! My other half is fluent in spanish and can manage to have a go at Catalan but the bird names in the vernacular are often meaning less. The Mirador de l'Arrabassada is where we eventually walked to, from the top of Tibidabo. Interesting to see, on the English language page that there's a chance of "common rat catching eagle" ;)

We've booked this week - two nights in Olot, two in Tarragona then 6 in the city. I think we'll try to get up there at least once.

Peregrines on La Sagrada Familia

If anyone knows how these peregrines got on, it would be interesting to know.
Thanks.
Allen

No posts here, but I've done my own research on the internet. I read that 4 young peregrines were ringed in La Sagrada Familia this spring. The only news that I have found about them fledging was in Catalan:

Els falcons ja han volat. Bona sort i fins l'any que ve!

I think that translates to English as:

The falcons have now flown. Good luck until next year!

Can someone with a better grasp of Catalan than I have confirm my translation?

It is always exciting to see young peregrine falcons taking their early flights. Has anyone on the forum seen them flying around La Sagrada Familia?

Oh, there are some amazing photographs of the peregrines of La Sagrada Familia on the internet, too. Not the only selection that I have seen in the last year or two, but there are some by Laurent Geslin on the Wild Wonders of Europe website.

Allen

My brother is having a few days in barcelona towards the end of September and asked me what "good wildlife" he should look out for. He is a non-birder and unlikely to make much effort unless its for something spectacular but can any of you old hands suggest what he might keep an eye out for? Should I try to persuade him to spend a morning at the raptor watch point for instance? What else is nearby?

Any and all advice welcomed.

John

The raptor point might be a lot of effort, John. It's probably a taxi ride from Tibidabo (Crested Tit and Red Squirrel there last September) or a long walk, to the "Mirador del Arrabassada" (I take no responsibility for the correctness of that particular spelling) and then a further walk past the dog rescue place which is across the road and right from the Mirador. I won't really know until we give this a try next month - Stephen might be able to fill in the (yawning) gaps.

It's probably likely to be 'just birds' although I understand that a Boar was seen in the city, not far from this area recently.

If he's there during the festival (23rd-27th) then he might be better advised to spend his time spotting the mythical beasts, dragons, and so on that abound at this time of year ... and of course there are all those Monk Parakeets. I'm sure there must be dolphins not too far away but we haven't had a sniff despite several "sea watches" in the last couple of years.

If he's lucky, he might see one of these ...

http://avengerpenguins.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=15965

We saw Long-tailed Blue butterflies near the mouth of Riu Besos (see above) but the area is a bit rough. We're considerig trying to get to the El Prat de Llobregat reserve, which is reachable by public transport and is probably worth a look just for the name. There might be terrapins there.

The raptor point might be a lot of effort, John. It's probably a taxi ride from Tibidabo (Crested Tit and Red Squirrel there last September) or a long walk, to the "Mirador del Arrabassada" (I take no responsibility for the correctness of that particular spelling) and then a further walk past the dog rescue place which is across the road and right from the Mirador. I won't really know until we give this a try next month - Stephen might be able to fill in the (yawning) gaps.

Yes, I would agree that a day trip with Stephen Christopher of Catalan Bird Tours is a great key to seeing the birds of the surrounding area, including the Llobregat Delta next to the airport and Garraf just to the SW. In the city itself the larger parks are worth a visit. As in my posts above, I find Parc de la Ciutadella to be productive for birds, especially at times of migration. Gaudi's Parc Guell is also as good or better for birds, especially along the paths in the wooded area up the hill at the back. A walk along the harbour at Port Vell sometimes reveals interesting water birds. I do much of my birdwatching in Barcelona in the morning, as it is both hotter and (probably) more busy in the afternoons. Also, in the afternoons and evenings there is that wonderful cuisine to enjoy!

Around La Sagrada Familia there is the chance of seeing peregrine falcons, always spectacular.

Allen

Last edited:
WE made it to the Parc de la Collserola raptor watch point last week (and bumped into Stephen with a party of clients). I'll post access details when I get the info sorted out. However it is probably not worth the effort for people without their own transport because the same birds can be seen, some of them probably closer, from the much more accessible Tibidabo.

This is quite a bit higher up than the watch point, and about 2 kms away on the vector that most birds seen from the watchpoint use. There's a lift inside the church that gives access to the roof. The best spot is probably from the spacious level up the first flight of steps. There is a considerably higher level just below the large statue of Christ that stands at the highest point on the church but it is very narrow and would be (was!) effectively blocked by a couple of people standing and using binoculars. The lower level has plenty of room.

In an hour or so on Monday we saw half a dozen raptors, often at close-quarters, the most exciting being a very close Goshawk. This compares reasonably well with a similar amount of time spent a couple of days earlier at the watch-point.

4 days in Barcelona in October 2009

I arrived in Barcelona on 5th October but, after sampling some tapas in bars along Passeig de Gràcia, I continued my travels by catching a train south to Tortosa for trips to the Ebro Delta and Els Ports with Rob and Marg of Ebrotours. Further train journeys took me to Lleida, Tremp, Girona and Portbou before returning to Barcelona on the 13th. With the exception of a short but very productive trip by train to Garraf, where I had been in 2007 with Stephen of Catalan Bird Tours, I decided to spend the rest of my time in areas close to the centre of Barcelona. However, thanks for the information on raptor watch points, Pandachris.

I was in Barcelona for 4 nights. I arrived before noon on the 13th and, after checking in to my hotel, I hit the streets. In the evening I sat down outside Cerveceria Inter-tapa on Avinguda de Gaudi close to La Sagrada Familia. A pair of peregrine falcons arrived and landed on the cranes around the great unfinished church. I studied the details of the church spires using my binoculars and spotted a flock of 8 alpine swifts far above and beyond the church, rather a surprise for October. Also around the church were 2 of the most numerous bird species in the city, the yellow-legged gulls and feral rock doves.

Next morning I travelled by Metro and then tram to by Riu Besòs in the north of the city. I walked to the mouth of the river and then inland a little along the north bank. This was my best walk in Barcelona in terms of the number of bird species, allowing me to see 29 of the day's 32 species. Down at the beach, 2 swallows flew south and there was a stonechat and a pair of black redstarts on the boulder breakwater or whatever it is that sticks out across the beach sand there. A lone dunlin in a little creek just in from the river mouth was a bit of a surprise. Upstream, a tree sparrow was another surprise, in the company of a flock of house sparrows on seed-bearing umbellifers on a little island. A kingfisher provided the usual fairly brief view as it flew upstream, and there were 3 little egrets wading in the river. Other birds seen were grey heron, mallards, kestrel, moorhen, common sandpiper, black-headed and yellow-legged gulls, feral rock doves, collared dove, monk parakeets, grey and white wagtails, robins, blackbirds, cetti's warblers, common chiffchaffs, magpies, common and spotless starlings, serin and goldfinches. A painted lady butterfly in river side flowers was a bonus. I heard blue tits in the tree tops at both Passeig de Gràcia and Rambla de Catalunya later on. In the evening I went down to Port Vell and saw 2 mediterranean gulls as well as about 150 black-headed gulls and even more yellow-legged gulls. Nine jackdaws flew over.

I saw or heard 30 species of birds next day, visiting Parc de la Ciutadella and Parc Güell. Both parks had some of the species that I had seen along Riu Besòs the previous day. Approaching the former I saw 5 blue-crowned parakeets in trees along Passeig de Lluís Companys, while birds in Parc de la Ciutadella included woodpigeons, blue tit and 4 rose-ringed parakeets. I caught the Metro to Vallcarca and took a lazy way up to Parc Güell. Despite crowds of people there were quite a lot of small birds in the park, including song thrush, sardinian warblers, blackcaps and 4 species of tit - long-tailed, crested, coal and great.

After my trip to Garraf on the 16th I did not do much birdwatching, but I did strike lucky at Port Vell in the evening, with 4 species of gulls. The stars were no less than 10 mediterranean gulls flying by a boat where fishermen were sorting small fish. I also saw a lesser black-backed gull as well as about 150 black-headed and an estimated 500 yellow-legged gulls.

I was flying out of Barcelona the next morning, so I caught a bus to the airport from Plaça de Catalunya just after dawn. There were 7 species of birds in the square, including the swarms of feral rock doves. As well as a few yellow-legged gulls, other birds there were black-headed gull, monk parakeet, grey wagtail, robin and a flock of at least 100 unidentified starlings flying over. In a tree by Riu Llobregat on the way to the airport there were 12 cattle egrets, my 47th species of bird seen or heard in Barcelona this holiday.

Last edited:
alpine swifts

...Ebro Delta and Els Ports ... Lleida, Tremp, Girona and Portbou ...spotted a flock of 8 alpine swifts far above and beyond the church, rather a surprise for October.

Hi Allen

Alpine Swifts are actually usual through most of October, although scarce by the end, with many flocks taking to the skies above Barcelona's high-rise buildings of an evening. A great place to see them is the Camp Nou football stadium, where they roost - and even on occasion making more noise than the crowd!

Did you post a report or at least a list somewhere for the other sites you mention? I'm particularly interested in your sightings around Lleida. Or did you only visit the city?

all the best

Birdwatching in a smaller city, Lleida

Hi Allen

Alpine Swifts are actually usual through most of October, although scarce by the end, with many flocks taking to the skies above Barcelona's high-rise buildings of an evening. A great place to see them is the Camp Nou football stadium, where they roost - and even on occasion making more noise than the crowd!

Did you post a report or at least a list somewhere for the other sites you mention? I'm particularly interested in your sightings around Lleida. Or did you only visit the city?

all the best

Stephen,

Thanks for the information about alpine swifts.

I only really used my 2 night stay in Lleida as a base for my day trip to Tremp, recommended as a place to visit by friends who had been there. The railway passes through some amazing scenery to get there. Anyway, I couldn't beat my great trip to the Lleida steppes with your Catalan Bird Tours in May, so didn't try! I didn't see many species of birds in Lleida itself, the star for me by far being a white stork flying over the Riu Segre on my way to the railway station at dawn on the 10th. I know that there are quite a lot in the area, but storks of any species are always a pleasure to see.

Allen

Birdwatching in a big city, Barcelona on 15th May 2010

I only had 2 nights in Barcelona this time, but spent a few hours on the 15th in some of my favourite birdwatching sites in the city.

Rising early, I walked from my hotel on Carrer Valldonzella through Plaça de Catalunya to Arc de Triomf and then down Passeig de Lluís Companys to Parc de la Ciutadella. Before reaching the park I had already noted yellow-legged gulls, feral rock doves, monk parakeets, swifts, robin, blackcap, starlings, spotless starling, house sparrows, greenfinch and goldfinch.

As soon as I walked into Parc de la Ciutadella I started to see interesting birds, the first being a short-toed treecreeper just inside the entrance. I spotted it as it fed on the ground underneath a tree, but then it flew up onto the tree trunk. Calls suggested other birds close by, young, perhaps? I know that Barcelona has quite a range of escaped parrot and other bird species, and I soon saw 2 of a species that I had never seen before, nanday (or black-hooded) parakeets. A kestrel flew over the top pond, where there was another escaped species, a family of what looked like greylag geese. Other birds seen in the park included mallards, moorhen, woodpigeon, collared doves, swallows, house martins, blackbirds, common chiffchaff, great tit, magpie, jackdaw and serins.

I found a tram stop close to the park, and caught a tram to just before the mouth of Riu Besòs, seeing an alpine swift by Torre Agbar on the way. The area around the lower part of Riu Besòs was very productive for birds. I had another surprise as I walked over the nearest bridge to the river mouth, as there was an adult audouin's gull with 25 black-headed gulls on a gravel bank in the river. I had seen quite a lot of audouin's gulls in the Ebro Delta with Rob and Marg of Ebrotours just a few days before, but I had never previously seen the species in Barcelona.

I walked to the river mouth and then back inland a little along the path at the edge of the green area along the river. Along the little creek just in from the river mouth I saw a little ringed plover and then a yellow wagtail. The latter looked as if it had a paler crown than that of the iberian subspecies, but it was very flighty. I tried to approach it in the creek, but it flew inland a bit close to the path. I hotfooted that way and noticed movement in open ground to my left, but checked myself when I realised that it was a couple, erm, sunbathing under a blanket. I continued walking quickly along the path, but the woman seemed to be shouting at me, maybe something like, "Oi! Watch where you're going!" Of course, they could have been birders who had not been able to afford the expensive prices of some of the hotels in the city and were just calling something like, "Hey, have you seen the squacco heron?" or whatever! Anyway, there were lots of other birds along that part of Riu Besòs, including little egret, grey heron, moorhens, 2 common sandpipers, white wagtails, 2 cetti's warblers, fan-tailed warbler, 2 reed warblers and spotted flycatcher. Another escaped bird was a muscovy duck, swimming in the river.

I caught the tram again and travelled a few stops before catching the Metro to Vallcarça, as I had last October. Almost noon by now, it was hot and I was grateful to use the escalators to reach Parc Güell. The park was really busy with people, but I managed 4 new bird species for the day, including coal tit, blue tit and chaffinch. For much of the previous week there had been flight cancellations somewhere in Europe because of the volcanic ash cloud, so I sometimes glanced up to see if planes were flying over. I hadn't turned into a plane spotter, honest, but it did help when I was in Parc Güell. A plane was approaching Barcelona airport and at the same time I saw a yellow-legged gull mobbing a large raptor over the slopes below Turro de les Tres Creus. It was a short-toed eagle!

My birdwatching for the day having reached a great moment, I relaxed under the trees and watched monk parakeets nest building before returning by foot and Metro to the city centre, La Rambla to be exact. I did not stay there, however, as I went to Bar Irati in a neighbouring street where I enjoyed some excellent Basque pintxos. I then walked to a favourite square nearby, Plaça del Pi, where there were groups of musicians in costume playing and singing.

On my previous 2 visits to Barcelona I had an evening meal outside Cerveceria Inter-tapa on Avinguda de Gaudí close to La Sagrada Familia, and I did that this evening, too. However, there was no sign of the peregrines this time. I noticed that there was netting on some of the taller towers of La Sagrada Familia. I did see an alpine swift, and there were several bats of 2 species (well, sizes, anyway) over Plaça de Gaudí.

Altogether this day I recorded 45 species of birds, my best for a day in Barcelona, although it did include 5 species of feral and escaped pigeons, parrots and waterfowl. Still, I think that 40 species of wild birds is good for a day in a big city!

Allen

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back