• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BirdBase et al software (1 Viewer)

William49

I had bird listing software years ago named DataHawk...then, well, stuff happens and I've just got paper trail since.

Now, I'm ready to get serious about birding and listing after a few year layoff and have looked at software, BirdBase, AviSys, and Thayer and reviews of these that I could find. BirdBase looks good enough for me and cheaper for the package with all the world birds added in.

I haven't spoken with anyone who uses any of these. Since the most of you know more than I and have used these before, is there anything I need to know before I buy?

Thanks.

William

Hi, I recently bought AviSys after trying Birdbase and getting frustrated. I don't know either program very well, but my general take is that Birdbase is not nearly as user friendly as Avisys.

I am only familiar with AviSys but I am very happy with it. You can also ask the programer a question by email and get a quick answer back.

BTW, you can also keep multiple databases, I keep one for sightings, one for photos, one for sound recordings, etc.

William49 said:
I had bird listing software years ago named DataHawk...then, well, stuff happens and I've just got paper trail since.

Now, I'm ready to get serious about birding and listing after a few year layoff and have looked at software, BirdBase, AviSys, and Thayer and reviews of these that I could find.
I have used Thayer - now spun off to the chief programmer and renamed Birder's Diary - for over 10 years.

The product is well designed and very well supported, and Jeff - the new owner - continues to improve it and add requested features.

Birder's Diary can import data in many forms (maybe including DataHawk), and Jeff will also undertake special conversion projects if the thought of reliving all those happy memories - as you re-enter the sightings - does not appeal to you.

Take a look at http://www.birdersdiary.com

I also use Birders Diary, it is user friendly and as the previous post stated the product support is excellent, and the product continually evolving and improving.
Regards Kim

Over the years I've looked at BirdBase, Avisys, Wings, Wildlife Lister and Birder's Diary. I've settled on Avisys as it seems to provide the best bang for the buck. It also seems to provide a more intuitive way of handling multiday birding trips. Alone it covers the globe, but the BirdArea add on improves its use for "world" birding.

However, BirdBase/BirdArea should work fine.

Bill Atwood said:
Over the years I've looked at BirdBase, Avisys, Wings, Wildlife Lister and Birder's Diary. I've settled on Avisys as it seems to provide the best bang for the buck. It also seems to provide a more intuitive way of handling multiday birding trips. Alone it covers the globe, but the BirdArea add on improves its use for "world" birding.

However, BirdBase/BirdArea should work fine.
I use Wildlife Recorder which does have a World Species species database including distributions. However, not everybody is happy with Wildlife Recorder, see thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=75379

Surfbirds have a review of software at:

http://www.surfbirds.com/Features/SoftwareReview/WhichSoftware.html

David

Avisys does not have a separate subspecies field. However the species database does contain subspecies which can be recorded in the comment section.

Wildlife Recorder

Dave B Smith said:
Can any of the Avisys users tell me if the Database (Clements) and records entry include a field for subspecies?
Thanks,

As pointed out, Wildlife Recorder not only has a field for subspecies, the bird species database provided with version 3 now has detailed distribution text for every sub-species.

Also, here is a REVIEW of Wildlife Recorder on the Fatbirder site
http://www.fatbirder.com/reviews/index.php?article=208

Wildlife Recorder now includes a built in distribution mapping facility so you can plot your sightings on a provided digitized map or use other, more detailed maps.

feel free to contact me with questions.
Bruce Webb [email protected]

Wildlife Computing - USA

Hi William,
I am trying to backup 20 yrs of Datahawk records. The backup feature does not work with DOS 6.0 or later. Do yo have any tips for accomplishing this.
Once I backup, I will convert and start using Birder's Diary.
Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.
- Lifebird

Hello lifebird,
I see this is your first post so on behalf of the staff, welcome to the Birdforum. I have a few suggestions for you. First, try using the Private Message function to contact William49 (as this is an old post and he probably won't be monitoring it). Then rather than backing up your old software, do a data export if possible. The last suggestion is to log on to Birder's Diary and post this question there as Jeff may have previously helped someone with the same issue.

In any case, good luck with your project.

I also went with Birder's Diary for the specific reason that they were the only software that let me "import" my old data rather than re-entering everything. Two years on now and still happy with it.

Okay...I have said this before but why not just use a Spreadsheet and your own collection or birds photos, adding to it your knowledge of the bird you see. That way it is more personal, and you learn about the birds you see as you input the information.

I realize many like these purchased programs mentioned but for many, there is nothing wrong with creating your own data base of sorts....and if needed, couple it with a basic Flickr subscription for that added touch of sharing with all...

I have BirdBase and have used it with good results for a number of years. It is a little quirky, somehow the developer is very stuck on doing things as if it was still a DOS PC it was running on, but the actual function is good. The ability to get updated range data reasonably easy is a plus, and it does have the ability for you to choose subspecies (if you purchase that little extra feature).

I would have to get a program that A) blew me away, and B) allowed me to import my 15000+ observations without problems to make me consider a switch.

Niels

I have BirdBase and have used it with good results for a number of years. It is a little quirky, somehow the developer is very stuck on doing things as if it was still a DOS PC it was running on, but the actual function is good. The ability to get updated range data reasonably easy is a plus, and it does have the ability for you to choose subspecies (if you purchase that little extra feature).

I would have to get a program that A) blew me away, and B) allowed me to import my 15000+ observations without problems to make me consider a switch.

Niels
Are you looking for an off-line program?, or is a webbased sighting registration also on option? For the last, check my signature.

Obervado.org for bird and butterfly sightings

IB) allowed me to import my 15000+ observations without problems to make me consider a switch.
Observado.org did import over 300.000 records of flowers. So a few bird observations with COORDINATES will not cause a problem i think.

Maybe my post came out wrong. I am not looking to switch, I was just trying to give a little review of the program I am using.

Niels

Mission Accomplished - made best choice for birding software

Dear Friends,
Thank you all for the replies to my original question. Sorry I have been away form the forum a bit. I choose Birder's Diary and am delighted not only with the program, but also with the stellar service the support team has provided. They have gone far above and beyond my hopeful expectations for help converting old DOS program data with 20 years of precious sightings. None of the competing firms even considered touching this task.
There is much else I enjoy about Birder's Diary, but I'll stick to topic for this post.
God bless and good birding!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back