• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Camberwell Beautys in UK (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
Camberwell Beauties in UK

Looks like there's a bit of a Camberwell Beauty invasion going on. Mostly Norfolk and Suffolk, but records from other places including Kent and Herts too. Love to run into one of those.

Last edited:
There is a large invasion in the Netherlands as well, with one being seen regularly 25 km away from my home. But I hope one will pass me by accidentally... I've seen them in France and the US, and I try not to be too concerned about my Dutch list. Stunning butterfly.
Curiously, its American name (Mourning Cloak) is a literal translation of the Dutch name: a lot easier to remember for me!

Xenospiza said:
Stunning butterfly.
Curiously, its American name (Mourning Cloak) is a literal translation of the Dutch name: a lot easier to remember for me!

How odd for something so beautiful to have a name that translates to THAT....almost wicked!!

I hope the invasion spreads this way!

Sue

They have reached North Yorks and Cleveland now, with 2 near Whitby and 1 at Harrogate (North Yorks) and another single in Guisborough (Cleveland) all seen yesterday.

Damian

One right in the middle of the Country in my back garden today: http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/106051/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

I was actually uploading shots of Red-veined Darters, taken earlier this morning http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/106048/sort/1/size/medium/cat/500/page/1, to my PC when my wife came in and said there's a 'large brownish butterfly with a whitish edge to each wing' feeding on kitchen scraps in a bucket we keep near to the house ready to take up to the compost heap (which is right up the top of the garden).

My in-built 'radar' immediately thought that it might be one but it had flown off and she had to call me back twice before I finally connected. I've seen a few abroad but this was just about the most unlikely garden-tick that I could imagine!

I was about ready to go out,but knowing that my mate Carl Baggott would love to see it, I took it 'into custody,' without a protest, put it into a box together with some of the scraps from the bucket and a ten-minute car-ride later it was in his safe hands. He released it into his garden and got an open-winged photo: http://www.pbase.com/baggott/image/66219108

I hope it finds its way to wherever it was bound for.

Last edited:
Several European languages have adopted the "Mourning Cloak" translation so I am not sure if Dutch was the original. (Welsh is another one with "Mantell Alar"). It is supposed to represent a petticoat showing under a dark dress. An old name for it in the UK
was "White Petticoat" and another was "Grand Surprise".

There was one in Northumberland two weeks ago, just wish I had seen it.
It's one of those butterflies I'd love to see

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back