• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoopoe in background of TV programme (1 Viewer)

RayMurray

Anyone who watched 'Countryfile' on BBC1 today may have noticed that during the 'Adam's Farm' section on his oil seed rape fields that there was a Hoopoe calling in the background.
I really don't think the BBC dub on extraneous wildlife sounds - so there may be a good local record out there for anyone who knows there the programme is filmed.

THANK YOU :t: I was watching it last night and Neil said I got this 'listening to the background noises' look on my face :-O I'm no expert on hoopoes but swore blind that there WAS one hooping away in the background :king:

Just glad I wasn't imagining it! :t:

I heard it too,unusual for them to call when on migration here,i just assumed it was a dubbed sound.

http://www.cotswoldfarmpark.co.uk/

Anyone else notice that stupid 'advert' that's on before most ITV dramas (Vera last night being one) - a couple on safari get their car driven by a baboon yet I'm sure it's a chimpanzee's noise dubbed over :smoke: I rant about it every time and it's driving Neil nuts!!! :-O

I also heard the Hoopoe on Countryfile last night & thought about starting a thread on here but then forgot, nice to see a few people heard it.

Yes, I commented to my wife "that's a Hoopoe in the backgound".

It would seem odd to have a soundtrack added, anyone got access to the BBC to find out?

A similar thread started recently about a Bee-eater call backing Hyacinth Bouquet....

I also remember Bee-eater all over an episode of Timeteam I think from Somerset. I expect it can be a bit of a lottery what gets dubbed on.

I've just watched the 'farm' section on i player and you can hear the Hoopoe quite clearly, the other thing I noticed was on the previous part he was on another farm with some bee's and you could hear Yellowhammer and Corn Bunting which you could also hear when he was on his own farm, of course you would expect too hear these birds around a farm and if early morning when filming they will be heard a lot more, I would be surprised if this is dubbed on bird sounds though.

My village in Northamptonshire was on a David Dimbleby documentary a while back, apparently, according to the sound effects we have eagles flying around (althoug, I seem to recall somewhere that the dramatic "eagle" sound effect is something like red tailed hawk?)

http://www.cotswoldfarmpark.co.uk/

Anyone else notice that stupid 'advert' that's on before most ITV dramas (Vera last night being one) - a couple on safari get their car driven by a baboon yet I'm sure it's a chimpanzee's noise dubbed over :smoke: I rant about it every time and it's driving Neil nuts!!! :-O

I'm more concerned about the fact that baboons have learnt to drive than any minor over-dubbing details. Worrying.

Anyone else note the churring Nightjar recently in the grounds of an Oxford college on 'Lewis'? Hmm.

My money would be on dubbing - i get really annoyed when they dub a noise resembling a distant jet fighter on documentaries involving Eagles etc..........

I'm more concerned about the fact that baboons have learnt to drive than any minor over-dubbing details. Worrying.

Haha never thought of THAT aspect :-O

Anyone else note the churring Nightjar recently in the grounds of an Oxford college on 'Lewis'? Hmm.

YES!!! I'd forgotten about that one.....pointed it out to Neil *and got told off as usual*

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back