• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh Sandpiper or Greenshank (1 Viewer)

lbrabo

While photographing wagtails coming to roost at a sandpit in the Netherlands this weekend, a sandpiper flew in and landed just when it was getting dark. It called very different from the Greenshanks I usually see and also appeared to be noticably smaller than the Greenshank I had been watching just a few minutes before. It's bill appeared to be slightly curved upwards and the head fairly dark and streaked, but unfortunately I could not make out any further details regarding plumage. I took a few pictures, but before I could move in closer to study the bird in more detail it flew up and disappeared.

I did consider Marsh Sandpiper at the time due to the strange call and small posture, but the bird did not strike me as being particularly long-legged or needle-like billed and I also couldn't quite match the plumage and bill shape. Having only limited (<10 ind.) experience with Marsh Sandpipers, and feeling uncomfortable with calling it a smallish, aberrantly calling Greenshank, I would be interested to learn other people's opinions on this bird. Unfortunately the pictures provide very (too?) little detail, but I hope someone with more extensive experience with both species may be able to assess relative bill length etc...

Sincerely,
Luten

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Clipboard04.jpg
    Clipboard04.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 70
  • Clipboard05.jpg
    Clipboard05.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 78
It´s a Greenshank. Note the little curved bill on this bird.

When you see your first Marsh you'll know. You will see it's so very much paler and slimmer in apperance.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back