• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maldives 1/11/10 - 13/11/10 (1 Viewer)

purpleturtle

At sea for 1 week then Kuredu Island for 1 week.

We are scuba divers and that is usually the primary reason for our vacation destinations, but as a keen birder I always want to see want I can.

Being that Kuredu island is very small, I didnt expect to find much. I didnt take binoculars or scope as we have a lot of scuba equipment to lug-around already.
I didnt buy any field guide but did read through this Avibase list to see what species I might encounter.

Here's the list of what I saw.

At sea
Lesser Crested Tern
Black-naped Tern
Wedge-tailed Shearwater

On Kuredu
Grey heron
Cattle egret
Striated heron
Common sandpiper
Grey plover
Ruddy turnstone
Lesser/Greater sandplover
Asian koel
House crow
White-tailed Tropicbird
White-breasted Waterhen

Common sandpiper were numerous and seen daily. The White-tailed Tropicbirds are a beautiful sight overhead, they were nesting on the ground (see chick photo below) in the vegetation. They are surely at risk from introduced rats.
Asian Koel are very vocal and seemingly more numerous than the House Crows which they parasitize.
The small waders frequently associated closely, but I was unable to tell if the sand plover (photo 4)was greater or lesser?.
The only other terrestrial wildlife seen were the fruitbats,1 species of lizard, 1 species of gecko and a small dark shrew.

Attachments

• Black-naped Tern.jpg
    Black-naped Tern.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 90
  • tropicbird chick.jpg
    tropicbird chick.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 101
  • grey plover and turnstone.jpg
    grey plover and turnstone.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 96
  • lesser sand plover.jpg
    lesser sand plover.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 83
  • female koel sm.jpg
    female koel sm.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Some more photos from Kuredu island, Maldives

Attachments

• common sandpiper sm.jpg
    common sandpiper sm.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 85
  • White-breasted Waterhen sm.jpg
    White-breasted Waterhen sm.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 80
  • striated heron sm.jpg
    striated heron sm.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 75
  • fruitbat sm.jpg
    fruitbat sm.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 81
  • lizard sm.jpg
    lizard sm.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 84
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back