• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Cadiz Province - Site Guide (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

Hi all,

Over the last few years I have sent quite a few BF members a copy of my site notes for Cadiz province. I was sure I'd kept a list of their email addresses somewhere so I could send them an update, but if I did I can't find it!

Over the last month or so I have gradually completely revised my notes including a complete overhaul of the layout, added a number of new sites, enlarged treatment of other sites and added many more maps. If you had the 'old' version (i.e. before October 2010) there's still plenty of new information. Since it's now 78 pages long and has 51 maps, I can't email it directly, but it is available for download (see below).

The notes are free, but I have three conditions a) the notes are purely for private not commercial use (in which case contact me with details), b) you do not pass on the notes with others - refer them to me for a (probably updated!) copy and c) you send me feedback/trip reports if you have them. I appreciate I have no way of enforcing the above, but will trust my friends on BF. To get a copy simply send me a PM via BF and I'll send the web address to download it asap. Naturaly I'd be happy to hear from those who've already used my notes ..... although too much feed back will mean I might be tempted to redo it all again!

Just downloaded this. Haven't had a chance to study it yet but it looks excellent. Thanks John!

Sean

It is excellent! :t: I recently went to this part of Spain and made use of Johns notes. He doesn't want to but I think he should make it into a book.

It is excellent! :t: I recently went to this part of Spain and made use of Johns notes. He doesn't want to but I think he should make it into a book.

Thanks, Joanne. Actually, the latest 'edition' is rather better than the vesrion you had! I still don't want to go down the book route, but I do wish I knew how to set up a webpage to host them,

John

Thanks, Joanne. Actually, the latest 'edition' is rather better than the vesrion you had! I still don't want to go down the book route, but I do wish I knew how to set up a webpage to host them,

John

I have also just downloaded this ,and I thought it was a book, loads and loads to go through this is going to be so useful .Will enjoy pouring over the maps with this gen to hand.
Thanks John.
Brian

I have also just downloaded this ,and I thought it was a book, loads and loads to go through this is going to be so useful .Will enjoy pouring over the maps with this gen to hand.
Thanks John.
Brian

My pleasure, Brian. It's been fun to dredge through my memory and notes and put it all together. Apart from anything else it's useful to have it all lodged on disc rather than in my erratic memory.

Actually, as I toddled back from the library this afternoon I thought of something I could have added ...........

John

My pleasure, Brian. It's been fun to dredge through my memory and notes and put it all together. Apart from anything else it's useful to have it all lodged on disc rather than in my erratic memory.

Actually, as I toddled back from the library this afternoon I thought of something I could have added ...........

John

Well don't keep us in suspense ;) :t:

John.

Well don't keep us in suspense ;) :t:

John.

Don't worry, it's nothing significant. I'm just a terrible one for 'tinkering'! In fact, I've tinkered two pages of A4 all the way up to the 'booklet' you've downloaded.

Incidentally, for those who live within easy striking distance of Sandwich Bay Bird Observatory, I'm doing a talk on the birds of Cadiz there next Thursday (details on the SBBOT website - I hope cos I certainly can't remember!)

John, thanks so much for the information provided and the help you offered me.

JC won't like this but how lucky are we to have the likes of John and others here in BF world?

Once again...many thanks.

John.

I've just printed off a copy of the new 'edition', not having done so previously, and it is rather large - so much so that I can no longer squeeze it into a 'clip' folder!
Could I stress, therefore, that one of the reasons I want to keep it an "online" resource, rather than a booklet, is that it allows you to edit out what you don't need (probably about 75%!). So that if you know you're only interested visiting the Tarifa area, say, you needn't lug the whole lot round. It also means you can add your own notes & updates (as long as you send them to me!) so that it becomes more of a personal record.

I consider myself 'bumped'! The new edition has now got a new edition, if you see what I mean, with many small corrections. Gave a talk on the area to Sandwich Bay Bird Obs last week ..... and a few days later got a message from them to tell me that so many people were interested that they're planning a trip there! It's that good.

Currently typing this in a hotel in Kowloon, HK en route for Oz. I should have better computer access there so should be able to send out my bumpf. Falling asleep at the keyboard and an early start tomorrow ......

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back