• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with ID UK (1 Viewer)

Gandalf_22h

I put a spell on you! ----
Hi. Saw 8 of the attached feeding on the sands at Cornwall. Could it be some sort of Magpie? No front shot available - I did not take the image.

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• 0f5e3e20a.jpg
    0f5e3e20a.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 368
Interestingly, I just noticed that the second link I posted above (this one) is of a bird in Washington State, USA. It looks identical though - does anyone know what species it would be?

Interestingly, I just noticed that the second link I posted above (this one) is of a bird in Washington State, USA. It looks identical though - does anyone know what species it would be?

It's either a Northwestern Crow, or an American Crow. Given it appears to be on the shoreline, that might favour Northwestern Crow, but these species are pretty much indistinguishable except by call to an expert ear.

Graham

It's a partially leucistic Carrion Crow, as has been said, but i can't help wondering if i'm the only one who saw the preview of the post saying "Cornwall" and "some sort of magpie?" and wondered if some very lucky newbie had seen a group of Choughs... ;)

About 1/4 crows to my observation (at least in the New Forest in Hampshire) have white in their wings, but not this extensive. I noticed it once and now I notice it all the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back