• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7 days in Lhasa, Tibet (1 Viewer)

Shi Jin

Just arrived back from Lhasa.

This was my 5th visit to Tibet, and my 3rd to Lhasa.

I again took the "Sky Train" to Lhasa from Beijing, which takes 45 hours, but is well worth the effort (see http://www.chinesecurrents.com to find out more).

I've posted a few photos on to my website (people, places, birds, and a few animals).

Bird photos include:

Harman's Eared-Pheasant (at least 25 birds seen)
Lord Derby's Parakeet (at least 20 birds seen)
Severtzov's Tit-Warbler
Waddell's Babax
Hume's Groundpecker
Prince Henri's Laughingthrush
Pallas's Gull
Robin Accentor
Brown Accentor
Ibisbill
Himalayan Griffon Vulture (c50 seen one morning)

Click here to see the photos:

http://www.chinesecurrents.com/photostream.html

Best regards from an oxygen-rich Beijing

Shi Jin

Last edited:
Super photos ..did I see one of a Marmot or something similar amongst them.

Can I just ask if Waddell's Babax is also known as a Giant Babax, if so is there any chance of uploading the photo on here as it is a species that we have no photos of in OPus.

Can I just ask if Waddell's Babax is also known as a Giant Babax...
Shi Jin admirably follows official BBBC (Beijing Birds & Beer Club) nomenclature, which proudly honours Eastern Palearctic and Oriental pioneers wherever possible - in the case of Babax waddelli, Lt.-Col. Lawrence Augustine (later Austine) Waddell (1854-1938), medical officer in Indian Government service, explorer in Tibet 1904. ;)

Richard B :)

Last edited:
Shi Jin

Superb photos! I'm hoping to be there in Summer 2012 - can you say where you saw the Lord derby's parakeets? (PM if necessary).

Many thanks
alan

Shi Jin

Superb photos! I'm hoping to be there in Summer 2012 - can you say where you saw the Lord derby's parakeets? (PM if necessary).

Many thanks
alan

I think we need to clean up your list Alan if you are getting desperate enough to tick escapes o:D You need a costly trip further east for proper ones...

Great photos Shi Jin, brings back happy memories from earlier on this year...

James

I think we need to clean up your list Alan if you are getting desperate enough to tick escapes o:D You need a costly trip further east for proper ones...

Great photos Shi Jin, brings back happy memories from earlier on this year...

James

Oh b*****, I thought there might be a new site on some remote road east of Lhasa! I'll have to put that one into my Yunnan_Tibet trip in 2035! B :)

a

Oh b*****, I thought there might be a new site on some remote road east of Lhasa! I'll have to put that one into my Yunnan_Tibet trip in 2035! B :)

a

There are plenty of parakeets in Lhasa now, in the local park some turned up just a couple of years ago but they seem to be breeding well - obvious escapes as historically they were never recorded anywhere near here. Where we saw them in June this year was a full days drive east of Lhasa, so you would need minimum 3 extra days + extra permits for this bird. Stunning scenery though.

Northernmost Yunnan in winter is a good bet - a flock of 1200 was found this year!

James

Glad that the pics are being enjoyed.

BTW: As far as I know, I was the first person to see Lord Derby's Parakeets in Lhasa (in recent times at least). I found a flock of 12 at the Norbulingka (the Summer Palace) in early January 2008.

I saw a feeding flock of at least 20 there during my most recent trip.

There is no reason that I am aware of to suggest that these birds are anything but wild.

So there's no need to spend a serious amount of energy and money on a three day outing.

Particularly not, when all of the area's specialities: Prince Henri's Laughingthrush, Harman's Eared-Pheasant, Waddell's Babax AND Lord Derby's Parakeets can be seen on the same day in or around Lhasa.

Best regards from Beijing.

Shi JIn

3 more photos of Lord Derby's Parakeets taken at the Norbulingka appear below:

Attachments

• Lord Derbys parakeet1.jpg
    Lord Derbys parakeet1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Lord Derbys parakeet2.jpg
    Lord Derbys parakeet2.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Lord Derbys parakeet3.jpg
    Lord Derbys parakeet3.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Wiould you be able to put a photo of the Babax on here please as Opus does not have a photo of one and I know it would be very much appreciated

Great photos of the Parakeets.

My pleasure Marmot

Here's the Waddell's Babax for the collection.

And a Himalayan Marmot just for you.

Shi Jin

www.ChineseCurrents.com

Attachments

• www.ChineseCurrents.com_0831.jpg
    www.ChineseCurrents.com_0831.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 75
  • www.ChineseCurrents.com_0870.jpg
    www.ChineseCurrents.com_0870.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 73
My pleasure Marmot

Here's the Waddell's Babax for the collection.

And a Himalayan Marmot just for you.

Shi Jin

www.ChineseCurrents.com

Many thanks for that it has now been added to Opus, one more to get us nearer the 7000 species total.

A really big thank you for the Marmot as well...this one of my relatives looks ready to have a fight with someone.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back