• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cruise around Med and Adriatic (1 Viewer)

trw

I have been cruising for several years and thoroughly recommend it to birdwatchers.You get the chance to do some real seawatching as well as seeing some intersting birds ashore.
Here is my report of a cruise around the Med and Adriatic on the Oriana this August.

The journey to and from the Straits of Gibralter was more interesting on the return journey especially the last day when there were at least 200 Gannets as we rounded the north west tip of France.Also 1 Little Gull,1 Great Shearwater and 4 Whales.The only positive i.d was a Fin Whale.

Cruising along the Portugese coast there were several Cory Shearwater,1 Great Skua and 4 Sooty Shearwater.

As we climbed the Fortress area of Malaga there was 1 Melodious Warbler,1 Rock Sparrow,4 Spanish Sparrow,1 Sardinian Warbler,4 Greenfinch,a flock of Goldfinch and Red Rump swallows and Plain Swift above.There were great numbers of noisy Monks Parakeet in the avenue of trees near the harbour exit.
There were Yellow Legged Gulls around the harbour area.

In Dubrovnik there were huge numbers of Alpine Swift especially off Lopud Island.I personally have never seen such huge numbers of Alpine Swift in one area.
In the harbour there were the usual Yellow Leggged Gulls and Medittearanean Gulls.

As we sailed into Venice there were large numbers of Yellow Legged Gulls,Barn Swallows and several Terns including Little Tern and Common Tern.There were Cormarants in abundance too. Italian Sparrows were seen at the eastern end of Venice in the park area.

There was little to see in Split except the Yellow Legged Gulls and Red Rump Swallows.

As we climbed the fortress at Kotor there were 3 Raven,Red Rump Swallows,a Blue Rock Thrush and a party of Alpine Choughs.Near the edge of the town I saw several Pied Wagtails and 3 Grey Wagtails.

Again there was little to see in Corfu except House Sparrows,a Jay,and Yellow Legged Gulls.As we passed between Corfu and Paxos I saw a Cory Shearwater,Yellow Legged Gulls and 1 Little Egret.

The journey to Gibralter via southern Sicilly was the more interesting than the outward bound journey North of Sicilly. There were about 500 Cory Shearwater and a few Medittearanean Shearwater off the northern tip of Tunisia.We kept on passing rafts of Cory Shearweaters for about 3 hours.

We went up the cable car to the Rock of Gibralter and saw 30 Black Kite circling overhead.There was 1 Kestrel amongst them.There was also 1 Raven and 1 Blue Rock Thrush.There were a lot of Plain Swift and Red Rump Swallow around.
In the Botanic Garden there were Spanish Sparrows, Blackbirds and Blue Tits.The usual Yellow leg Gulls were around the harbour.

As we left Gibralter the Dolphins provided a spectacle.The Straits of Gibralter presented a feast of Cory Shearwater,Meditearanean Shearwater, and Yellow Legged Gulls.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back