• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulf of Carpentaria trip 2010 (1 Viewer)

Tom Tarrant

Bird and Wildlife Tour Guide
Opus Editor
Australia
Hi all,

Have finally completed the trip-report for my recent Gulf expedition, saw around 136 sp including 5 'lifers' (..and it wasn't even a birding-trip!)
Please check out the account on
http://www.aviceda.org/wp/

Would welcome comments (constructive, please!)

Enjoy,

Tom

Tom,

I've had a quick nip through your very interesting report. I chuckled at the comment:

At the bleak town of Kynuna I spotted some Spinifex Pigeon (Geophaps plumifera) although they were far too nervous to allow close-approach (…and a photo!) the same couldn’t be said of a family of Brolga (Grus rubicunda) marching down the high street.

I suppose that I am not the only one who would think that a town isn't bleak when it has a species of crane marching down the high street!

You refer to white-headed stilts - split from black-winged stilts?

Allen

Hi Allen,
Kynuna is a very bizarre little place, we didn't see any of the human inhabitants.
Our stilts have recently been split by the IOC must admit I quite like this classification...some scientists, some birders.

Excellent report, Tom. The drive there and back would be worth it for that Purple-crowned Fairy-wren alone, never mind all the other stuff. Probably a bit far though for a quick twitch from Samford when I'm next over!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back