• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Menorca 6-9 June 2010 (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
Just lost my whole spiel by pressing wrong button anyway this report will be a lot shorter!

We were staying about 5kms from Mahon in a beautiful farmhouse, just at the back of the 4 wind turbines.

The first thing we did on arrival was jump in the pool and cool off after the trip - it's a long drive for us to Barcelona but a cheap and short flight...

I could hear Blackcap, Corn Bunting and Nightingale from me privileged position. Priviledged because I could sit outside with a beer, glass of Rioja and plate of Salmon! Out popped a Woodchat Shrike - great. I even had time to reach for the camera whilst he picked off some insects!

The next morning I snuck off up the track. There were Goldfinches and Corn Buntings everywhere and a nice female Sardinian Warbler. I was suprised because normally these things dissappear into the nearest bush but this one was fairly obliging so I wonder whether the need to feed young was more than her fear of me.

Overhead I got a nice light phase Booted Eagle.

I took my daughter on the short trip up to Cap Favaritx to scan some rocky coast line, thank you Peewit. Picked up a dark phase booty and Red Kite on route as well as an unidentified Pipit.

Whilst a bit unsure of the private sign I took the risk and headed to the lighthouse. A Blue Rock Thrush flew across the road and posed some distance away - I took a poor record shot. At the end two Shags were basking in the sun and two Kentish Plovers pottered about the small inland lagoon. I scanned for some gulls but only saw Yellow Legged. A gull drifted by and I followed with my binos. No Yellow bill - AUDOINS - it flew past at no more than 5 metres wow. Peewit was right they are pretty. I was suprised by the difficulty in picking up the bill at first glance and made a mental note to check all gulls more carefully.

Happy, went back for the rest of the crowd and a trip to the beach. We went to Es Grau. The first bird that flew past was another Audoins Gull. Too easy! One landed not far off and I waded out to get some better pictures. Another overhead.

One thing I did notice was one harrassing a fisherman on the dock with a couple of Yellow Legs. This i was led to believe is not something they do! We peddled past on a pedalo and again got very close views. On the way back from the beach an Egyptian Vulture drifted by a farmhouse just at the entrance to the property and Stonechat rested across the road.

A Red legged Partridge ran up the track in front of the car. A Peregrine flew over the farmhouse as some Kestrels played in the distance. A Hoopoe announced his presence in the garden. What a day.

That night a Scops Owl came to visit. I did catch a glimpse but as always with this bird you hear it more than you see it!

The following day was much of the same pattern. A trip to the beach, a trip out to Favoritx.

Setting off for the airport and again at the end of the track two birds were perched on a dry stone wall. Thekla Larks. Please review the pictures because the bird books are a bit unclear on 'balearic' birds. The bill isn't massively stocky and the crest isn't fanned - however, I was under the impression that Crested didn't exist on the island! Help. In my defence the birds weren't sandy coloured and did have some nice streaks on the breast. My views were cut short by a bus honking because I had stopped on the road.

And that was the hols - gone. A good array of birds and I definately envious of anyone with more time to enjoy the island. I would certainly like to concentrate of some of the warblers - obvioulsy now the target Audoins has been ticked off!!!!

Attachments

• Woody 1.jpg
    Woody 1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 106
  • woody 2.jpg
    woody 2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Booty light.jpg
    Booty light.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Audy 11.jpg
    Audy 11.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 119
  • Audy 4.jpg
    Audy 4.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 97
More pics

More pics and the Theklas

Attachments

• Blue Rock Trhush Cap FAvaritx.jpg
    Blue Rock Trhush Cap FAvaritx.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Cap Favaritx.jpg
    Cap Favaritx.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 95
  • Thekla Menorca.jpg
    Thekla Menorca.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Thekla Menorca 2.jpg
    Thekla Menorca 2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Gypo Menorca.jpg
    Gypo Menorca.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 118
Just lost my whole spiel by pressing wrong button anyway this report will be a lot shorter!

We were staying about 5kms from Mahon in a beautiful farmhouse, just at the back of the 4 wind turbines.

The first thing we did on arrival was jump in the pool and cool off after the trip - it's a long drive for us to Barcelona but a cheap and short flight...

I could hear Blackcap, Corn Bunting and Nightingale from me privileged position. Priviledged because I could sit outside with a beer, glass of Rioja and plate of Salmon! Out popped a Woodchat Shrike - great. I even had time to reach for the camera whilst he picked off some insects!

The next morning I snuck off up the track. There were Goldfinches and Corn Buntings everywhere and a nice female Sardinian Warbler. I was suprised because normally these things dissappear into the nearest bush but this one was fairly obliging so I wonder whether the need to feed young was more than her fear of me.

Overhead I got a nice light phase Booted Eagle.

I took my daughter on the short trip up to Cap Favaritx to scan some rocky coast line, thank you Peewit. Picked up a dark phase booty and Red Kite on route as well as an unidentified Pipit.

Whilst a bit unsure of the private sign I took the risk and headed to the lighthouse. A Blue Rock Thrush flew across the road and posed some distance away - I took a poor record shot. At the end two Shags were basking in the sun and two Kentish Plovers pottered about the small inland lagoon. I scanned for some gulls but only saw Yellow Legged. A gull drifted by and I followed with my binos. No Yellow bill - AUDOINS - it flew past at no more than 5 metres wow. Peewit was right they are pretty. I was suprised by the difficulty in picking up the bill at first glance and made a mental note to check all gulls more carefully.

Happy, went back for the rest of the crowd and a trip to the beach. We went to Es Grau. The first bird that flew past was another Audoins Gull. Too easy! One landed not far off and I waded out to get some better pictures. Another overhead.

One thing I did notice was one harrassing a fisherman on the dock with a couple of Yellow Legs. This i was led to believe is not something they do! We peddled past on a pedalo and again got very close views. On the way back from the beach an Egyptian Vulture drifted by a farmhouse just at the entrance to the property and Stonechat rested across the road.

A Red legged Partridge ran up the track in front of the car. A Peregrine flew over the farmhouse as some Kestrels played in the distance. A Hoopoe announced his presence in the garden. What a day.

That night a Scops Owl came to visit. I did catch a glimpse but as always with this bird you hear it more than you see it!

The following day was much of the same pattern. A trip to the beach, a trip out to Favoritx.

Setting off for the airport and again at the end of the track two birds were perched on a dry stone wall. Thekla Larks. Please review the pictures because the bird books are a bit unclear on 'balearic' birds. The bill isn't massively stocky and the crest isn't fanned - however, I was under the impression that Crested didn't exist on the island! Help. In my defence the birds weren't sandy coloured and did have some nice streaks on the breast. My views were cut short by a bus honking because I had stopped on the road.

And that was the hols - gone. A good array of birds and I definately envious of anyone with more time to enjoy the island. I would certainly like to concentrate of some of the warblers - obvioulsy now the target Audoins has been ticked off!!!!

Hi rosbifs

Fabulous report :t:

Sorry to hear about the misfortune losing your original script of your report. I make a point in typing long reports up in Word first so I can save and spell check the information as it takes time to get the information just right. Better safe than sorry

I am so pleased that you found the species that you where wishing for on your wish list. As for the Audouins Gull that is a great find for you. They are easy to photograph and not too bothered about you pointing a camera lens at them.

We saw a Thekla Lark and they are abundant at this time of the year. Sadly this one flew off before I managed to get a picture. The plume was very noticable. I am sure that Thekla is the Lark you saw because they are so abundant on the island.

I have still to do my report and I have a detailed diary of events to work off now, plus the pictures. I will be moving house tomorrow but luckily have some extra time in my old house and will try to use the time to do the Menorcan report.

You have seen all the birds I have seen so we have the same records of events and I am pleased to be of help to you and yours.

So when I have my report done we can compare notes further. :t:

Regards
Kathy

Nice report rosbifs, it's making me eager to be off to the island for our holiday at the end of the month. I'll agree with Kathy that you've Thelks lark in your photos.
I too was a bit put off by the private sign at Cap Favaritx, unlike you I didn't drive up to the lighthouse but walked leaving the car by the gate. Did find a number of Thekla larks in that area though, along with hoopoe, raven, pallid swift and swallows.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back