• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mull 2010 (1 Viewer)

seggs

Alrite!
Well it was back to the Magic Isle last Saturday for another brilliant week.
Early start again at 4am.,arrived in Oban in just over 5 hours.
Straight out of the car and in search of Black Guillemot in the harbour here, a pair showed nicely from the car park.
After a very noisy ferry crossing due to it being full of kids we set off down to one or two of our usual haunts, first off to see if the White tails had nested in the same spot as the last few years. Which they had, a adult present at the nest….nice start!
Then whilst passing around Loch Beg i spotted a dog Otter sitting on a rock having a meal, pity he was a bit far away for photos.
And latter after dropping our gear off at the caravan we went off to Fidden, Jan had,nt got the words out of her mouth“you don,t expect to see hares on our first visit do you?” When one ran across the road in front of us!
We seen 4 all around the same area….best count we,ve had here!

Brilliant first few hours on the Isle. Also Whinchats,Stonechats and countless Wheatears and Common sands to name a few.

Attachments

• tn_B.G.2.jpg
    tn_B.G.2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 94
  • tn_bg 4.jpg
    tn_bg 4.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 93
  • tn_otter.jpg
    tn_otter.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 106
  • tn_mountain hare.2.jpg
    tn_mountain hare.2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 92
  • tn_mountain hare.3.jpg
    tn_mountain hare.3.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
SUNDAY

Lovely first thing this morning, male Cuckoo heard and seen on the dog walk duty.
We went on a 6 mile round walk from the caravan just outside the village of Bunessan down to Uisken and around to Ardalanish bay, this bay is in our eyes the best we have seen on the isle, lovely sandy beach and best part of the time hardly anyone on it, we spent a good deal of time down here on this visit as it was safe to exercise the dog here…no cattle or sheep on here.
A long the road to here,- Stonechats,Whinchats, Ravens, Buzzards, Whitethroats,Willow warbs, 1 Gropper, Chaffs and Goldfinch, Rock doves,Hoodies,Lapwings med pips, skylarks, Cuckoos,Linnets to name a few.

Ardalanish bay- 5 Whimbrel, 6 Curlews, Oystercatchers 20+, Ringed plover 30+, Dunlin 15, 1 C. Sand, C.Terns and Artic terns along with Gannets and a few G.N.Divers, Common Auks, Shags and Cormorants off the shore,also a single Brent goose.

Ride to Kintra latter produced a male Merlin near here.

A long to Fidden and 6 Blackwit in the area, 5 Whimbrels over, 8 Golden plover and more Ravens.

And another couple of goodies from the caravan later- male Hen Harrier being mobbed from gulls at a distance and a Woodcock flew around at dusk.

Attachments

• tn_whimbrel ard..jpg
    tn_whimbrel ard..jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 96
  • tn_Blackwits fidden.jpg
    tn_Blackwits fidden.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 98
  • tn_Sedge in gorse.jpg
    tn_Sedge in gorse.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 97
  • tn_siskin.jpg
    tn_siskin.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 139
  • tn_siskin2.jpg
    tn_siskin2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 99
MONDAY

Nice sunny day
Made our way up Loch Scridian viewing various points- C.terns,Shags,Kittiwakes and our first Red breasted Mergansers of this trip. The Great Northern divers were giving me the run around photo wise!
We had a quick look at a Adder site we know –none showing but seen and heard our first Garden Warbler, another first for our Mull list.
A high pitched call alerted me to Goldcrests further down the road near Pennyghael.
No luck with Otter at the head of Loch Beg but seen another Garden Warbler at Dererach, a long to the White tailed watch site and a bird on the nest feeding.
Headed towards Gribun and our first Golden eagles showed near Gribun 2 immature birds they soared and give us good views for a couple of minutes before heading off out of sight over the mountain.
2 Twites showed near the watch point for Eorsa on Loch na keal., and a Otter seen near here also before we headed for another White tailed nest site. Again a adult present near this nest also.
No luck this year seeing Goldies at a site we knew from last year.
Latter we headed for the camp site at the head of Loch na keal after about a hour a White tailed flew in from the north giving us nice views as it was mobbed by a Buzzard.
Another pair of Buzzards were spotted near their nest doing a food pass just outside of Bunessan, first time Jan has seen any BOP do this so it was a bit special to her.
Last visit of the day was back down to Ardalanish bay to give the dog some exercise, this produced our first Red throated divers 2 in s/p.
Not the best day for photo,s.

Attachments

• tn_wt and buzz.jpg
    tn_wt and buzz.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 142
  • tn_max in flight.jpg
    tn_max in flight.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 105
  • tn_Wheatear 4.jpg
    tn_Wheatear 4.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 133
TUESDAY

Early ferry to Iona, I would recommend anyone to do this before the buses etc. arrive.
Headed for the Fire station first and had no luck here listening for rasping combs, so headed a little south from here to another hotspot we know. Could hear a bird calling from here before we got there.
He was very close to the road in the narrow strip of Irises, I spotted him scurrying amongst them before he came out into the open and run across the road up the bank and into someone garden . Well happy with this sight we ventured around the island listening to more birds calling before returning to try and see our first bird again.
Even better view this time! He came out into the open and tried to hide behind a bunch of Daffodils…..not very well!. Before legging it back into better cover.
A bit latter seen the bird going thro-a wire fence closely followed by a second bird….a mate!
Iona also produced our first L.Redpoll .

We travelled to Grasspoint latter this day and seen 4 White tails all in the sky together 2 to the north and 2 to the south.
On the way back we passed thro- Glen More and I spotted a raptor drop down and land, scope out and onto the bird, Golden Eagle. The bird was ripping something to bits and feeding.
Fantastic end to another great day!

Attachments

• tn_r d.jpg
    tn_r d.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 76
  • tn_corncrake 2.jpg
    tn_corncrake 2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 107
  • tn_corncrake 3.jpg
    tn_corncrake 3.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 133
  • tn_sedgie iona.jpg
    tn_sedgie iona.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Nice reports so far, very enjoyable read. Good memories as took girlfriend and Mum there this time last yr.. although you've seen far more stuff than I did! Including the sun, by the looks of it...

Some nice pictures, Steve; especially the Corncrake.
Nice to meet up with you a few times:t:.
I really enjoyed my week, it was great to see the Corncrakes, eagles etc, but I was also impressed at the amount of Cuckoo`s and Wood Warblers about, birds that are really struggling back in Durham.
Here are a couple of pics from my stay including a nosy Mink.

Attachments

• mull 10 070.jpg
    mull 10 070.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 106
  • mull 10 155.jpg
    mull 10 155.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 119
  • mull 10 021.jpg
    mull 10 021.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 123
  • mull 10 106.jpg
    mull 10 106.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 116
  • mull 10 118.jpg
    mull 10 118.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 115
Hi Steve,
Lovely report and pictures and many, many thanks for the heads up for the red throated divers. Had an amazing week with both weather and wildlife seen and to think that we were heading down to look for hen harrier and by absolute chance we bumped into you and 5 minutes later i had a lifer with the red throated divers in summer plumage. That just put the icing on the cake/week.

I hope you don't mind me putting a link to my pictures from the week on your thread... http://www.rick-thornton-photography.com/gallery/3091265

Just to reming you as well that the guy doing the boat trips to loch na keal was http://www.mullcharters.com/
Well worth a trip with this guy if you want close views of white tailed eagles.

Thanks again Steve, i owe you one for certain.
Regards
Rick

WEDNESDAY

Bad weather most of the day some clear conditions at times.

Back along Loch Scridain ,viewed the Mussel beds area first and a single Brent goose here(maybe the same one seen earlier in the week?), Great northerns and Mergansers along the loch and Common sands every 300 yards a long the shore…or so it seemed.
At Loch Beg we had our closest encounter with a Great northern , the bird was,nt bothered in the least about me sitting on a rock by the shores edge, normally they swim further out. Sure it was one of Ian F,s pets from Hartlepool….pity about the light.
Another 2 birds were in the same area one still in w/p.
A male Hen Harrier flew across the loch whilst we sat heading towards Aird of Kinloch.
Ardalanish bay latter- another 2 Red throated this time one of them in w/p. 15 Manx Shearwaters our only ones of this visit, best count of Dunlin we had on Mull- 120+.
And another pair of Twite near the farm here.

Attachments

• tn_g.n.diver s.p.jpg
    tn_g.n.diver s.p.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 97
  • tn_gn diver.jpg
    tn_gn diver.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 84
  • tn_twite 5.jpg
    tn_twite 5.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 84
  • tn_dunlin.jpg
    tn_dunlin.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 81
  • tn_imm.rt diver.jpg
    tn_imm.rt diver.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 99
THURSDAY

Dull misty start but clear and warm latter.
Loch Scridain produced the usual divers, auks etc.
Dog otter showed briefly at the hot spot at Loch Beg
Male Hen Harrier flew around the same area as last visit before heading off towards Pennyghael at about the same time of day.
Did the 6 miler from the caravan down to the bays in the afternoon, all the usual warblers, 3 Cuckoos, 2 families of Stonechats and largest number of Rock doves we have seen -28 birds in one flock.
Ardalanish bay – 9 Red throated divers, 5 together in one group, a pair and 2 singles. All in s/p. except one. 3 Great northerns and Dunlin numbers down 60+.

Attachments

• tn_juv. stonechat.jpg
    tn_juv. stonechat.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 79
  • tn_hoodies.jpg
    tn_hoodies.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 87
  • tn_rock doves.jpg
    tn_rock doves.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 89
I'm enjoying this thread, Steve. Reminds me of my trip to Mull two years ago. Love those Great Northern Divers...........just gorgeous!

FRIDAY
Same weather as yesterday.
Fidden first on our last full day- 1 Mountain hare showed well, 1 Blackwit, 2 Whimbrel and a pair of Twite by the road.

Pair of Black throated divers at a undisclosed site….

Scridain- usual birds, no luck at the Loch Beg Otter spot but something disturbed the Eiders on the far shoreline ….it took me 20 seconds or so before I spotted the culprit. A imm. White tail…flew along the edge of the Loch being mobbed by Gulls, Oystercatchers and nearly every bird in the area!, the bird gradually gained height and began soring over the post office in Pennyghael before drifting off to the east..

Final visit to Ardalanish bay of this trip- another first for my Mull list- 16 Sanderling here with 18 Dunlin only 3 Red throated here on this visit but 3 Whimbrel surprised us when they came into view from the rough grass.

We seen 2 Otters on Saturday on the way to the ferry , Loch Scidain and Loch Beg.

A Cracking holiday as always..too many happy moments to mention but these were the highlights.

The misses- Seen no Kestrels,Sparrowhawks,Long tailed tits, Owls, Sandwich terns and Skuas. But well happy with what we did see.

Attachments

• tn_twite 6.jpg
    tn_twite 6.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 81
  • tn_red deer.2.jpg
    tn_red deer.2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 81
  • tn_sanderling.jpg
    tn_sanderling.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 89
  • tn_wt.jpg
    tn_wt.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 104
  • tn_whimbrel friday.jpg
    tn_whimbrel friday.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I'm off to Mull towards the end of June and this has just made me wish I was going sooner. Having never been before, I'm soooooooo, looking forward to the trip I've started to feel like a kid in a free sweet shop :D

Hi Seggs. Think we passed each other - I was with Bryan on the Sunday up at Fidden. Saw you a few times around after that, but was leading a group in the Landy.

Great shots.
Hi Marcus where you the only lad out with Bryan this day?? who missed out on the mountain hares? Hope you managed to see the hares latter on in the week.

Hi Steve,
Lovely report and pictures and many, many thanks for the heads up for the red throated divers. Had an amazing week with both weather and wildlife seen and to think that we were heading down to look for hen harrier and by absolute chance we bumped into you and 5 minutes later i had a lifer with the red throated divers in summer plumage. That just put the icing on the cake/week.

I hope you don't mind me putting a link to my pictures from the week on your thread... http://www.rick-thornton-photography.com/gallery/3091265

Just to reming you as well that the guy doing the boat trips to loch na keal was http://www.mullcharters.com/
Well worth a trip with this guy if you want close views of white tailed eagles.

Thanks again Steve, i owe you one for certain.
Regards
Rick
Nice one Rick some great photos on your site! don,t mind at all pleased to see other peoples shots..will be looking into that boat trip for next year.:t:..also nice to meet you.:t:

Some nice pictures, Steve; especially the Corncrake.
Nice to meet up with you a few times:t:.
I really enjoyed my week, it was great to see the Corncrakes, eagles etc, but I was also impressed at the amount of Cuckoo`s and Wood Warblers about, birds that are really struggling back in Durham.
Here are a couple of pics from my stay including a nosy Mink.
Great to see you again Derek:t:aye we heard Cuckoo everywhere we went, never ventured into suitable habitat for Wood warbler...looks like i will have to next year.

Did you keep a list of birds seen, Steve?
I managed 93 species during the week, I noticed you had at least 8 others (Blackwits, Brent Goose etc) that I didnt see, thats over 100 species seen on Mull/ Iona, not bad, and thats not including all the other fantastic wildlife.
PS plus neither of us had any owls.

Did you keep a list of birds seen, Steve?
I managed 93 species during the week, I noticed you had at least 8 others (Blackwits, Brent Goose etc) that I didnt see, thats over 100 species seen on Mull/ Iona, not bad, and thats not including all the other fantastic wildlife.
PS plus neither of us had any owls.
Aye our lass kept count with the printable list of birds from the Mull birds site, we managed 98...(need to check this after your comment of 8 or so more) A lot better than the last 2 years visits when 82 was the highest count.
We even ventured up the top half of the Isle the last two years in search of Dabchick! with other birds in mind also..but not this year, we just enjoyed what was on show around the Ross area mainly.
Its a incredable fact that our best count of Canada geese on the Isle was this year with a group of 5 on a field near Ardalanish bay which landed and soon took off again, 2 birds were here a couple of days earlier and a single on Loch na keal before this.
Our last countable bird was a drake Goldeneye seen flying north from the ferry!..odd i thought but maybe not.;).
I was informed that not many Shorties were on the Isle this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back