• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lanzarote Trip Report 3rd - 15th May 2010 (1 Viewer)

schiffornis

AWBirder
Just finished writing my Lanzarote Trip Report from 2 weeks holiday with some birding.

Highlights included: Bulwer's Petrel, Macronesian Shearwater, Squacco and Purple Heron, Greater Flamingo, Black Kite, Barbary Falcon, Barbary Partridge, Houbara Bustard, Collared Pratincole, Semi-palmated Sandpiper, Baird's Sandpiper, Red-rumped Swallow, Iberian Yellow Wagtail, Blackbird, African Blue Tit and Canary plus lots of endemic sub-species etc... full details of sites visited, bird list and some rubbish photos now on my blog

Cheers Andy

Excellent info..........i am going for a fortnights family holiday (subject to ash cloud) on 10th june.

Surprised how easily bustards and coursers were at El Rubicon. Very encouraging!

Also surprised you did not find them close to where you were, on the outskirts of playa blanca, by the cement factory. Did you look around there?

Excellent info..........i am going for a fortnights family holiday (subject to ash cloud) on 10th june.

Surprised how easily bustards and coursers were at El Rubicon. Very encouraging!

Also surprised you did not find them close to where you were, on the outskirts of playa blanca, by the cement factory. Did you look around there?

Hi Wolfbirder, not sure if I was lucky with how easily I connected with the Bustards, on speaking to several people on my return it seems as though they can be tricky at certain times of the year. I had them fairly close to the outskirts of Playa Blanca just north of Jardin de Yaiza on an area on my map called Monturrios Pardos, also had them a bit further north at El Cortijo de la Mareta.

Would really recommend the area Hoyo Azul/Caleta Negra for sea-watching - i think the wind seems to blow the birds closer here, excellent stuff!

Hope this helps, and you get them (and flights in and out again!!)

Cheers, Andy

Hi Wolfbirder, not sure if I was lucky with how easily I connected with the Bustards, on speaking to several people on my return it seems as though they can be tricky at certain times of the year. I had them fairly close to the outskirts of Playa Blanca just north of Jardin de Yaiza on an area on my map called Monturrios Pardos, also had them a bit further north at El Cortijo de la Mareta.

Would really recommend the area Hoyo Azul/Caleta Negra for sea-watching - i think the wind seems to blow the birds closer here, excellent stuff!

Hope this helps, and you get them (and flights in and out again!!)

Cheers, Andy

Andy

made note of your info, many thanks mate

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back