• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chile November/ December 2009 Part 3 (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Back in the mountains again I went to national park Nahuelbuta.
There is a very wet forest with many artic beech.
Very nice is the Auracaria forest.

I saw abou 30 Slender billed Parakeet, over 100 Thorn tailed Rayadito, 1 Custnut Huet Huet, 2 Fire Eyed Diucon, 3 Common Sierra Finch, 12 Treerunner ( 5 on one Tree ), Dusky Tapaculo, Patagonian Sierra Finch, 1 Californian Quail and 5 Eleania.

On the highway to Temuco I saw e.g. Southern Lapwings, 1 Chilean Hawk and over 20 Yellow Billed Ibis.

In Temuco I made a walk in the river area.
Thera was 8 Yellow billed Ibis, 1 Great Egret, 1 Fire eyed Diucon, 2 Tufted Tit Tyrant, 2 Austral Trush, 6 Yellow winged Blackbird, 10 Long tailed Meadowlark and over 30 Black chinned Siskin.

Than followed the landscape highlights, at first Conguillo national park.
From north I hear only 4x4 cars allowed for entry.
From south normal cars can drive in, eventhough the way is quite rough.
I camped in front of the lake in opposite of the high snow capped peaks.
Very nice scenery with fog in the bottom of the peaks in the morning.

I saw Chilean Swallow, Austral Trush, Chimango Caracara ( very near at the camping place ), Thorn taild Rayadito, Southern Wren, Patagonian Tyrant, 0,1 Magellan Woodpecker, 5 Chilean Flicker, different groups of Austral Parakeet, Eleania, 6 Flying Steamer Duck, 2 Kelp Gull, White winged Coot, 1,1 Ashy Goose, 1,1 Yellow billed Pintail, 2 Black Vulture, 1 Condor, 5 Southern House Wren, 4 Patagonian Sierra Finch, 3 Rufous banded Miner, 6 Fire eyed Diucon, 2 Black faced Ibis, 4 Spectecled Duck, 2 Chilean Wigeon, 1 Magellanic Tapaculo, 1 Correndera Pitpit and 1,1 Austral Negrito.

On the way to the border to Argentina I saw over 30 Black faced Ibis, 10 Black Vulture, different Chimango Caracara, some Southern Lapwings and 4 Ashy Goose.

Attachments

• Bild 3-1.jpg
    Bild 3-1.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 271
  • Bild 3-2.jpg
    Bild 3-2.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Bild 3-3.jpg
    Bild 3-3.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 295
  • Bild 3-4.jpg
    Bild 3-4.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 280
  • Bild 3-5.jpg
    Bild 3-5.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
more pictures

Attachments

• Bild 3-6.jpg
    Bild 3-6.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Bild 3-7.jpg
    Bild 3-7.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Bild 3-8.jpg
    Bild 3-8.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Bild 3-9.jpg
    Bild 3-9.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Bild 3-10.jpg
    Bild 3-10.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 282
again more pictures

Attachments

• Bild 3-11.jpg
    Bild 3-11.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 284
  • Bild 3-12.jpg
    Bild 3-12.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 264
  • Bild 3-13.jpg
    Bild 3-13.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Bild 3-14.jpg
    Bild 3-14.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 261
  • Bild 3-15.jpg
    Bild 3-15.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
4 picture group

Attachments

• Bild 3-16.jpg
    Bild 3-16.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Bild 3-17.jpg
    Bild 3-17.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 182
  • Bild 3-18.jpg
    Bild 3-18.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Bild 3-19 Conguilla.jpg
    Bild 3-19 Conguilla.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Bild 3-20 Conguilla.jpg
    Bild 3-20 Conguilla.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 285
fifth group of pictures

Hopefully not to much pictuers ?

Attachments

• Bild 3-21 Conguilla.jpg
    Bild 3-21 Conguilla.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Bild 3-22 Conguilla.jpg
    Bild 3-22 Conguilla.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Bild 3-23 Conguilla.jpg
    Bild 3-23 Conguilla.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Bild 3-24 Conguilla.jpg
    Bild 3-24 Conguilla.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Bild 3-25 Conguilla.jpg
    Bild 3-25 Conguilla.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 76
Never too many pictures! - its great to get an impression of the range of habitats birds and other wildlife in Chile - thanks!

Cheers
Mike

Hello Mike,

thank You.

Some more picture ( landscape ) and a decorated christmas tree.

Best regards
Dieter

Attachments

• Vulkan 2.jpg
    Vulkan 2.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 185
  • Vulkan.jpg
    Vulkan.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 184
  • Palme.jpg
    Palme.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 184
  • Weinachtsbaum.jpg
    Weinachtsbaum.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Weinachtsbaum 2.jpg
    Weinachtsbaum 2.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 87
Hey Dieter,
Looks like you had a great trip through Chile and a good list of sightings. Conguillio N.P. is definitely my favorite place you visited in the lake district. Just to clarify a couple of the species, by Common sierra-finch did you mean a Mourning sierra-finch or maybe Common diuca-finch? and by Yellow-billed Ibis did you mean Black-faced Ibis?
Grats on the Spectacled Ducks. I don't seen them every year up there. and nice pics of the Magellanic Woodpecker and Austral Parakeet.
cheers and happy birding

Hello Erik,

I think You are right it is Black - faced Ibis.
Conguillo Np is great.
But the greatest was the combination of wet area of Chile and cross over to Argentina. This landscape is just the opposite.
It is very dry, but in the high mountains over the border, I was supprised. Very dry landscape, very few plant, but Araucaria grown there.

I had 2 other big suprise.
Tarantula near west of Santiago in the mountain area.
I saw them near La Parva in about 3.000 m altitude !

Next suprise was the extrem dry landscape around Santiago with few natural plants, but very nice area of Reserve Rio Clarillo with almost 6 feet tall flowering orchids.

Finally the very helpful people of Chile are very good.
So many helpful people I met nowhere before, even I visited about 60 countries before.

Best regards
Dieter

Hi Dieter,
In Chile we are lucky to be one of only 5 places in the world to have mediterranean habitat like what surrounds Santiago and the central zone. Unfortunately the development in the area is taking a toll on the area. Not much has been done in terms of conservation, but some small new acquisitions have sprung up in then last few years. So I'm glad about that.
That tarantula is a great find at that altitude. I need to bird more through the central andes. Great birds there.

It great to here that you thought that of the people in Chile. We try to be as warm as possible to foreigners. I hope you had an enjoyable trip through Chile

Cheers

Nice set of images! Chile is high up on my list of places to go.

On my list high up is Costa Rica.

But for Chile I would not rush trough the whole country.
It is quite big and has a lot of hightlights.
Not only the bird life, there is also very nice landscape with many mountains over 6.500 m.

On my list high up is Costa Rica.

But for Chile I would not rush trough the whole country.
It is quite big and has a lot of hightlights.
Not only the bird life, there is also very nice landscape with many mountains over 6.500 m.

Yes, birding in Costa Rica is pretty exciting. As for Chile, yes, because of that scenery, its one of the few places in the world where I would be just as happy to go trekking. Fortunately, it looks like one could combine both trekking and birding.

Trekking is really nice.
Not far from Santiago You can drive until 2.700 m with the car.
You have the choice rather dry landscape, wet and extrem wet landscape and extrem dry high desert.

From Santiago You have the choice where to go.
If You plan not to go to far to the south e.g. Lake area near Temuco, you can escape to north, when a bad weather period come.
Alternative is Argentina, it is very dry to but in spring quit windy.

I think Chile is a country which You can visit 5 or more time and it will be all times intersting.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back