• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chile November/ December 2009 Part 2 (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Next place was Penuelas near Valparaiso.
If You come from Valparaiso direction on the main highway with car the entry is a tricky to find, because the entry is on the other side. You have to pass the entry area, go down from highway an come back in direction top Valparaiso.
I saw Great Grebe, White backed Stilt , Black Vulture, Turkey Vulture, Cinerous Harrier, Chilean Hawk, Yellow billed Pintail, Chileon Wigeon, Black headed Duck, Correndera Pitpit, Long tailed Meadowlark, Mourning Sierra Finch, Grey hooded Finch, Common Diuca Finch and Black chinned Siskin.

Next place was a small fine reserve El Tabo near San Antonio.
I saw Black nacked Swan, Snowy Egret about 20, White winged Coot, Red Shoveler, Yellow Pintail, Chilean Swallow, Wren like Rushbird, White tufted Grebe, Yellow winged Blackbird, Long tailed Meadowlark, Many Colored Rush Tyrant and White Crested Eleania.

In a surburbia of San Antonia I stayed in an small accomodation in the town.
It seems difficult to find normal level accomodation for medium price level.
In the harbour area I saw Elegant Tern, more than 100 Peruvian Pelicans, about 20 Peruvian Booby, Brown hooded Gull, Kelp Gull, Chilean Swallow, Neotropic Cormorant and 5 Sealions ( on the fish market ).

After the coast a trip to the mountains into Lircay national park.
Even the park is not to far from Santiago ( about 250 km, near Talca ) the snow area was about 2000 m in this time.
Much lower than in the mountain area in the east of Santiago. There it was about 3000 m.
This really nice national park contains wet forest with different Nothofagus trees.
In the camping area ( very convienient ) grow quite hughe trees of Nothofagus dombeyi.

Following I saw there:
One small scorpian wen I cleaned my tent.
Birds are Southern House Wren, Black fronted Tyrant, Thorn tailed Rayadito ( different time seen and often easy to hear ), Austral Parakeet ( in the morning ), 3 Treerunner, Magellan Woodpecker ( not shy easy to take picture an movie ), Chilean Flicker, Firey Eyed Diucon ( common ), Patagonian Sierra Finch ( common ), Chilean Swallow ( common ), some Austral trush, Black chested Buzzard Eagle, Black chinned Siskin and many White crested Eleania.

Back to the coast I stayed in a small fine accomodation near the beach in Puenco, which is close to Conception.
In the beach area I found 16 Nigh Herons, 2 American Oystercatcher, different Kelp Gulls, some Brown hooded Gulls, different Peruvian Pelicans, Neotropic Cormorant, Southern Lapwing and Whimbrel.

In the Santuary near San Antonia ( was not to easy to find ) I saw Peruvian Booby, Whimbrel, Snowy Egret, Speckled Teal, Red Shoveler, Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs, Kelp Gull, Black Vulture, White winged Coot, South American Tern, Greenback Firecrown, Spectacled Tyrant, Southern Wren, Austral Trush, Chilean Swallow and on the ocean ( in rock area in the institut area ) 5 Red legged Cormorant.

Attachments

• Bild 2-2.jpg
    Bild 2-2.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Bild 2-4 La Campana.jpg
    Bild 2-4 La Campana.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Bild 2-5 La Campana.jpg
    Bild 2-5 La Campana.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Bild 2-6 La Campana.jpg
    Bild 2-6 La Campana.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 78
  • Bild 2-7 La Campana.jpg
    Bild 2-7 La Campana.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 188
more pictures

Attachments

• Bild 2-8.jpg
    Bild 2-8.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Bild 2-9.jpg
    Bild 2-9.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 270
  • Bild 2-10.jpg
    Bild 2-10.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 254
  • Bild 2-11.jpg
    Bild 2-11.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Bild 2-12.jpg
    Bild 2-12.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 279
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back