• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southeast Brazil, December ’09-January ’10 (1 Viewer)

Xenospiza

Distracted
I spent the big freeze in the UK in the hotter, but equally treacherous climes of the Brazilian summer.

Locations visited were:

SÃO PAULO STATE
Ubatuba - Intervales - Campos do Jordão
SANTA CATARINA STATE
Volta Velha
RIO DE JANEIRO STATE
Sumidouro Road and environs - Praia Seca - Três Picos SP - Pico da Caledônia - Itatiaia (incl Agulhas Negras Road, which is in Minas Gerais)
ESPIRITO SANTO STATE
Caetes - Linhares - Santa Teresa

Quite a few of these places are not covered well at all in independent reports. You can't expect BirdQuest to give its secrets away, so I'll try and do that for them.

Although the trip was independently organised, quite a few guides were used. In some locations, this is quite a necessity to find all those staked-out rarities. This part of Brazil is easy to travel in if you’re willing to piece it all together. And you can even drink the tap water!

I’ve given a total of the costs in the report: these can easily be lowered by avoiding some expensive, but not essential, places to stay.
Staying at Linhares (the best place for mammals) is the only way to get those necessary early starts! Of all locations, I liked Intervales most, but Itatiaia had many birds too – we just had seen most of them already!

The attached report should appear on http://www.birdtours.co.uk in a few weeks, where it will of course be much easier to find back.

Attachments

• Report SE Brazil dec09-jan10(1).pdf
    718.1 KB · Views: 339
Looks like you did well. I shall have to have a more detailed look later but you saw plenty that I haven't caught up with. Shame you didn't get to Regua, although it maybe wouldn't have added a huge number of species.

Looks like you did well. I shall have to have a more detailed look later but you saw plenty that I haven't caught up with. Shame you didn't get to Regua, although it maybe wouldn't have added a huge number of species.
It really didn't fit into the schedule anymore I guess (although we could have spent a day less at Itatiaia). Birds like Giant Snipe, Brazilian Laniisoma and Eastern Striped-Manakin definitely are an incentive to visit!

Yes, I will have to come back to Intervales one day to see the areas we could not visit – there is still plenty for me to see on a "Southern Brazil specialties" trip. Maybe in a few years...

The report is now also on travellingbirder.com

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back