• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Spain weekend - El Paneron (Belchite), Los Monegros, Pyrenees 26-28/3-10 (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Northern Spain weekend- El Planeron (Belchite), Los Monegros, Pyrenees 26-28/3/10

Yet another cheap, pre-planned weekend away trying to cram in plenty of birding. I chose late March to try to maximise chances of seeing 'vocal' Dupont's Lark & Black Woodpecker, and also hoping to chance upon Little Bustard, Citril Finch & 'late' Snow Finch, and Alpine Chough - 6 targets ! I also hoped to enjoy more views of Wallcreeper & Lammergeier on my travels, but these were not priority as I had crippling views of both, on my November visit last year to the region.

I hope this report, and the specific detail within, helps future visitors !

Such plans can be affected by weather profoundly on the Steppes and in the Pyrenees, but thankfully although windy one day, there was no fresh snowfall in the Pyrenees, so unlike my November trip last year I was not forced to turn back half way to Jaca and endure a terrifying road journey on slippery roads!

So you still really need luck on your side and you may need to adjust your daily plans. But I can safely say "there was not a single drop of rain on the plains in Spain!"

Oh, there are no photos in this report !

LOGISTICS

Total cost was about £380. £30 petrol to and from Stansted, £16 Long stay airport parking booked on line, £90 Ryan Air flights to Zaragoza, £70 two nights B & B at the 'wonderful' Boletas Bird-watching centre, £53 car hire booked via "Travelsupermarket.com" through Argos Car Hire (via Alamo), and about £120 on petrol and snacks from garages. I was provided with an excellent Citreon C2, although I just could not fathom out the fuel gauge on the display, so I never knew how much fuel I had left ! I just had to keep topping up!

Prior to departure I had checked many bird reports to obtain crucial specific detail, and also many thanks to Andy Howes of Boletas who I rang for a very useful chat!

26th MARCH 2010

After a noisy full flight packed with Spanish school children, upon arrival at Zaragoza I eventually located my car hire desk, the problem with small companies is that they often do not have their own desk at small airports, and having booked through Argos Car Hire (via Alamo as agent), I eventually noticed a tiny Alamo sign in the "National" car hire booth, and after that it was smooth sailing.

I left the airport in my car at about 1.30pm and was on site at Belchite (El Planeron) by 3pm. For clarity, during this report I shall refer to the two access tracks marked by "El Planeron" signs as "Quinto access track" (being the one you come to first from Quinto) and "Belchite access track" (being the entrance you come to first from Belchite/Codo). They are only a mile apart approximately, and further towards Quinto there is an additional, large pull-over which gives good, commanding views over the entire reserve, with the lines of spectacular, plateau-topped hills acting as a backdrop. The "Quinto access track" is thought to be better for Dupont's Larks in general.

When you read reports you must make note which direction the reportee has come from, otherwise you can misinterpret which is referred to as the '1st access track' & you can easily then take the less profitable track at any given time. Furthermore, I had read that the two tracks onto the huge reserve were only signposted with a small 'naturale reserve' sign (or something similar), but this was not the case, two "El Planeron" signs at each of the two access points from the main Belchite-Quinto road were very clear. 'Unfortunately', I took the "Belchite access track", and drove over a mile and eventually I came to two small tracks to the right within half a mile of each other, both clearly marked with a signpost with a Dupont's Lark painted on. It has been recommended that you park at both and listen, and check out the area between them. I had plenty of Larks (not as many as expected though), but no sound or sign of any Dupont's Larks, and they can be seen with luck, at this time of year at any time, not just dawn. Thekla, Crested, Calandra, Lesser Short-Toed Larks, Hoopoe, Black Redstarts, Corn Buntings, Magpies and Crows, Linnets, Red-Legged Partridge, & 2 Marsh Harriers were seen, and a fine 'Jack' Merlin perched up just long enough for me to enjoy brief scope views from the car. Indeed, nearly all my birding at this and my next site was done from the car. You do not really need to get out. With Dupont's, I am told it may actually reduce your chances if you do get out and break cover.

I drove on to Quinto and 45 minutes later joined the Candasnos - Ontinena road for more Steppe species. By the small 12km marker I took the track to the right just after a zig zag bend. Quickly the track goes right up onto the slightly raised plateau used as a feeding site for Sandgrouse in winter, or left for half a mile until it goes between two old ruins. Birding all the way on the left track, I had excellent views from the car of many Larks, with Calandra's showing superbly, and flight views of 2 Stone Curlews. Around 20 Pin-Tailed Sandgrouse, and 4 Black-Bellied Sandgrouse were seen, but they were not as easy as in November where they showed on the plateau itself. On these tracks you have be to careful with your car if the tracks are wet & 'sludgy', or if rocks or bramble scratch the car underbody if it has a low projectory, but this is common sense, and these tracks are usually driveable with care. Little Bustards can apparently be seen just past the two stone ruins but not today!

You generally see birds whilst driving en route to locations, and today these included White Storks, Cattle Egret, Black & Red Kites, & a few Kestrels.

Onto Boletas for the night. After an early departure from home to Stansted, my bed was a welcome place to be, even if I struggle to sleep away from my own bed!

27th March 2010

Asleep at 9am the previous night, I woke up at 2a.m. !!! I don't know why. But as I did, I decided to retrace my steps of yesterday, and I set off at 4a.m. after my own breakfast in my room (I always take my own stuff, and Esther at Boletas had got my a carton Long- Life milk for my cereal). I was again on site at Belchite (El Planeron) along "Belchite access track" as dawn unfolded at 6.30a.m. However it was quite breezy. I reached the same area again and spent two hours listening for possible Dupont's Larks at and between, & also after the two small signposts with pictures of "Dupont's Larks on. The same Larks were seen as yesterday, as well as a Southern Grey Shrike, but not my target bird! The second miner track by the Dupont's signpost is driveable down to a small hide at it's end after a few hundred yards, and this general area and scrub provides a bit of cover for small passerines. A male Redstart, Western Bonelli's Warbler, Sardinian Warbler, Meadow Pipit, a few Black Redstarts were seen. But still no Dupont's ! I had some compensation in finding a fine male Spectacled Warbler in a roadside bush. By 9a.m.and the day warming up, I was feeling a little despondant, so I headed back along the main "Belchite access track" in the direction of the entrance. But I decided I would turn left along the 'first' of the two tracks marked with a painted Dupont's Lark, this track is about half a mile long and joins to the "Quinto access track". Indeed, "Belchite access track" and "Quinto access track" must run fairly parallel to each other, so this miner track taken (the first one with a Dupont's lark sign) links the two like the middle bit of an "H" (hope that makes sense). Anyway half way along this 'adjoining' track I pulled over as at last I heard a singing Dupont's Lark to my left- at 9.30a.m!! It was singing every minute or even more frequently, continuously. It was hard to gauge how far away it was (they can be a little further away than you think). By reversing and going forward I was able to work out roughly where it was, and eventually I located this large Lark perched next to a bit of scrub about 60 metres away, and although it moved in and out of view I was able to scope it from my car and enjoyed pretty good views four times. Elation! Then, a 'huge' Golden Eagle also offered great views as it hunted against the wind low over the terrain, about 300 metres away. It even perched briefly. I tore my self away, & a short distance on I reached the T-junction to the "Quinto access track". Instead of turning right along it towards the entrance, I took a left turn a hundred metres and then turned right where a small signpost had a 'Little Bustard' painting on (or I think it was!). This driveable track only goes on for about 500 metres, and I enjoyed a great close view of my first 'well-seen' Lesser Short-Toed Lark here, and just as I turned round at the end of this track, another Dupont's Lark burst into song and landed 30 metres away. It ran towards me for several seconds, still singing and offering great views, before disappearing into the scrub. This was getting easy though! I rejoined "Quinto access track", and this time headed back along it towards the entrance point on the main Codo-Quinto road. But barely had I drove a few hundred metres than a 3rd Dupont's Lark burst into song whilst in flight immediately to the right of the track. It landed out of view though.

Different reports suggest that both main tracks can be profitable, but currently I would definitely suggest accessing "Quinto access track" and also then take the miner tracks either side if you are unsuccessful. Either way, drive slowly around until you hear them calling.

And this was all between 9.30a.m. and 10a.m, though after March are they still as vocal? I doubt it.

Hope that all makes sense, it would be easy to highlight in a diagram.

With success in Target One having been achieved, I then revisited the 'Steppes' between Candasnos and Ontinena. En route I had several Black Kites & a 'possible' juvenile Bonelli's Eagle (based on underwing pattern), but you cannot stop on these fast roads. First however, I did a quick drive around Candasnos Lagoon that I noticed glimmering in the sun to my right, as I approached the aforementioned small town. By doubling back along an obvious dirt track, I reached and circumnavigated the lagoon, picking up several Black-Necked Grebes, many Red-Crested Pochards amongst the Shovelers, Mallards and Coots, as well as a Grey Heron and a flock of Tree Sparrows. But the water levels currently seemed to high for any waders that I have seen previously reported here. This lagoon is not that hard to find to be honest.

After this pleasing detour, I was back on the Steppes at Ontinena but again I could not find any Little Bustards, though again I enjoyed excellent views of Calandra's and a single Short-Toed Lark. Spotless Starlings were present in a large flock. Hearing and seeing the Larks are two different things altogether (except in flight) though seeing Calandra's was easy here. 2 Stone Curlews were seen too. I then drove through the unremarkeable village of Ontinena itself, & briefly checked out the area at Ontinena Bridge, adding Cetti's Warbler, Blackcap, Chiffchaff & Greenfinch. White Storks nested nearby.

As it was early afternoon, I headed back towards Huesca and 'Boletas' at Loporzano, to explore the Sierra de Guara range. I first drove to Vadiello Dam. But it was extremely windy, and I did not expect to see Wallcreeper and I was right. A single adult Lammergeier and 2 Egyptian Vultures were amongst the Griffon's overhead, as well as a few Crag Martins. I then drove to nearby Embalse de Calcon which is actually signposted 'Embalse de Guara'. Beneath the small dam here I had previously enjoyed crippling views of Wallcreeper, and as they generally do not depart for the higher Pyrenees until April I had lingering hopes that my November bird may still be here. No joy! But I had a stunning Firecrest with almost lemon shoulders beneath the dam, as well as Chough, Red Kites, Buzzard, 2 Lesser Kestrels, Raven, & a Western Bonelli's Warbler nearby. Castle Monteragon accessed easily via Quicena village, was devoid of birds in the strong winds. I had hoped for Black Wheatear and Rock Sparrow here, but neither are 'lifers'. At Loporzano I had my embarrassing moment of the trip. I thought I remembered the access track by the radar station that led up to the Cemetary, but it turned out I drove up to a private house. I soon realised it was a dead-end as I turned into the owners courtyard, and as he came out of his house looking none too impressed, I tried to reverse. I had not realised that his angry wife was co-incidentally driving up behind me, but a short, sharp honk of her horn made me realise my situation. I explained embarrasingly that I was looking for the cemetary and he was fine, but you could see the look on their faces and I drove humbly away! Excrutiating moment! Anyway, I did get up to the cemetary but there was no hoped-for Orphean Warbler in the wind in the nearby bushes (but they have been seen in March in previous years). I went back to Boletas, it was only 6.30pm, but having been up since 2a.m. I was exhausted. And I needed to rest, for my final day tomorrow, up in the mountains!

28th March 2010

I awoke at 6am to the sound of Spotless Starlings in the garden making all sorts of strange sounds, but I lost an hour as the clocks moved forward, so a 7.30a.m. departure felt like 6.30a.m. I aimed for a day in the Spanish Pyrenees, hoping to take in lower areas near Jaca as well as the higher ski slopes by the French border. I was unsure which order to do this in, it was a Sunday so I expected that the Monastery de San Juan de La Pena may get very busy. Infact, I was wrong, and via the excellent N330 I arrived at Jaca in no time, where you need to follow signs for Plampona & then The Monastery is signposted once in Jaca. In wintry weather the steep access road may be hard or impossible to use, though today was beautiful t-shirt weather. The access road takes you past the old monastery that is carved into the hillside, then steeply up to the new monastery, which is the one you want. You suddenly emerge from the winding, hair pin bends through wooded hillside, & immediately a red & white gate is on your immediate right, beyond is a road that leads uphill to one recommended viewpoint. But driving on past this, you immediately come onto an open plateau with a large green on the right, and the large new monastery on the left. It is not complicated. Just drive on a short distance between the monastery and the green, and zig-zag round to the 'only' signposted car park. This car park is in effect a straight drive around 400 metres long, surrounded by trees. This immediate area can be excellent, and Black Woodpecker are present in the woods all around (more later).

It is often recommended that you get your self to a viewpoint and scan over the tree-tops. There are three potential such viewpoints. To expand, after parking in the car park (where I had Great Spotted Woodpecker, Bullfinch, Song Thrush, Chaffinches, Great Tits) walk back to the large green, you can then see a mound up to your left that I have already mentioned & is accessed via the road beyond the red and white gate as also previously highlighted. I did not go there. Instead, Andy Howes (Boletas) and others have suggested you head the other way. So from the car park entrance, and facing the green to the left and monastery to the right, go to the right of the monastery, slightly uphill. You can see two tracks, one mud one wide enough for official forestry 4 x 4's that leads to a radar station, and the path you need skirts behind the wall of the monastery which is signposted. Once on it, follow it to the right, and after a walk of five minutes you reach the viewpoint via a straight slightly inclined path. It is only 5-10 minutes from the car. Do not think the viewpoint is what gets you good birds, it is the woods inbetween. I was so pumped with adrenalin, hoping to see the Black Woodpeckers that I could clearly hear, that I forgot to check passerines for possible Citril Finch. At the viewpoint I scanned the area far below & towards the snow-capped Pyrenees, and from there I also walked to the right, up along the edge of the mountainside for a further five minutes to the radar station. Views from here are also recommended in reports, but I thought the view over the canopy was restricted, so I moved back down after ten minutes to my original viewpoint, as it had dawned on me that the Black Woodpeckers were calling within the woods, not from the viewpoints looking out towards the Pyrenees.

At the end of the day, follow your instinct, do not rely on what I say - I am no expert. Different strategies may be better at different times of the day and year, and according to the weather. However, with some persistence, I managed to quietly get close enough to one of the 3-4 'calling' and 'drumming' birds within the woods without utilising a viewpoint because they were so vocal. An adult male alighted on a treetop, where I enjoyed scope views down to 100 metres for about 30 seconds before it few off. I was dead chuffed for I felt it could potentially be a very frustrating experience. But the weather was perfect (sunny and still), and the time of year was bang-on too (vocal).

I decided to move on by 11am, and I headed back to Jaca and on northwards up to the ski resorts, again via the excellent N330. By 12.30pm, I was at a very popular Candanchu. The snow was still present down to the ski bases, but the warm weather meant the south facing mountainsides were patchy and snow was melting rapidly. I scanned any bare patches for possible Snow Finches, but I felt it was too late by a week or two because it is said they fly up to higher mountaintops as soon as the snow starts to melt. I did try! However, I enjoyed crippling views of some of upto 200 Alpine Choughs around the resort. These are certainly not shy birds, and they strike me as being a concoction of Blackbird for colouration and a pigeon for profile & stance. With their weak trilling calls, they are totally different to Red-Billed Choughs.

I moved onto nearby Astun, and on approach I took the higher approach road, that takes you to the rear of the hotels. Again, this resort was very busy with skiers and their cars. A few Alpine Choughs were here too, and what I thought was a flock of several Goldfinches flying past at distance (do they occur at this elevation?). The wing pattern was what clinched i/d for me. Nothing like Snow Finches! Even more strangely, a Lesser Kestrel flew over. But it was t-shirt weather!

I gave up on Snow Finch (or Alpine Accentor for that matter), and headed back towards Jaca via Canfranc, where I briefly checked the river for Dipper (but no luck). I decided to head back for a few hours relaxed birding at Monastery de San Juan de La Pena. I thought traffic might be bad as it was a lovely Sunday afternoon, but it was not bad at all. I again parked in the only car park just past the upper, new monastery, and again walked to the right of the monastery building, again taking the path up through the woods towards the viewpoint. I spent two hours ambling around, but Black Woodpeckers were virtually silent at this time of day. I then checked out the woods beyond the red and white gates you see to your right just 'before' the monastery. Over two hours I picked up some good birds in this part of the woods - Crested Tit, Firecrest, Blue Tit, Black Redstart, Nuthatches, Blackcaps, Great Spotted Woodpecker, and pleasingly Iberian Green Woodpecker. At this specific point I was trying to locate another 'calling' Black Woodpecker in this section of the woods, and as I got within 30 metres I became aware that it was competing with a higher pitched call of Green Woodpecker. I only briefly saw the Green Woodpecker fly across the treetops, but I could not even raise my binoculars, to check for detail. But there was no doubting it was a Green Woodpecker. I presume all Green Woodpeckers here are 'Iberian' sub-species.

I then moved back across the green, to the woods around the car park. At the end of the car park (furtherest point from the monastery), I again became aware of 'calling' and very heavy persistent drumming. And eventually I located an adult female Black Woodpecker busy drilling out its nest hole (I presume it has nearly finished as it was leaning way inside at times). I enjoyed excellent, prolonged scope views down to about 50 metres, although it was slightly on the blind side of the trunk. Once it is complete, you would not see it from the car park, and you cannot walk in to get closer views due to very dense undergrowth (if anyone is going next few weeks, email me for further specific detail, as long as I can verify who you are of course).

It was time to drag my self away! Allow yourself a good few hours here, either morning or late afternoon/early evening preferably.

Last port of call was Riglos. En route I managed to stop to scope 2 Egyptian Vultures, 2 Short-Toed Eagles, and more Griffon Vultures, and both Red & Black Kites. I also saw what I thought might be a Wild Cat sat in a field, miles from any sign of farms or houses. Riglos was not that good! It was full of rock climbers with big egos and loud fireworks! Perhaps you cannot blame them after conquering these sheer rockfaces. I walked up to the patch of land behind the chapel, but Rock Doves were mere specs so I gave up quickly on Wallcreepers! I did pick out a male Blue Rock Thrush. Tired eyes and a cricked neck did not help! It was still worth seeing the magnificent rock foundation in its own right.

Driving back from Huesca to Zaragoza produced a pair of juvenile Great Spotted Cuckoo's, male Montagu's Harrier, and then a falcon-like Monk Parakeet flying over the dual-carriageway in Zaragoza itself.

So, the 10.30pm flight back to Stansted, and then two hours of hell between landing and getting to my car in Long-stay, resulted in me reaching home at 4am!

I had seen 3 out of my 6 targets. Disappointed still not to have seen Little Bustard, but a return to Castro Verde will be required maybe next year! Snow Finch sounds evocative, but I was not too disappointed. Alpine Chough was pleasing, and Dupont's Lark and Black Woodpecker are real toughies ! So I was more than happy.

THE END

A total of 83 species, sorry not in any particular order.................

BIRDLIST

Dupont's Lark ( x 3)
Black Woodpecker (x 2)
Alpine Chough ( x 220)
Iberian Green Woodpecker ( x 1)
Great Spotted Cuckoo ( x 2)
Golden Eagle ( x 1)
Short-Toed Eagle ( x 2)
Lammergeier ( x 1)
Egyptian Vulture ( x 6)
Griffon Vulture ( x 300)
Red Kite ( x 20)
Black Kite ( x 20)
Common Buzzard ( x 3)
Marsh Harrier ( x 40)
Montagu's Harrier ( x 1)
Merlin ( x 1)
Lesser Kestrel ( x 3)
Kestrel ( x 5)
Pin-Tailed Sandgrouse ( x 20)
Black-Bellied Sandgrouse ( x 4 )
Hoopoe ( x 2)
Southern Grey Shrike ( x 1)
Grey Heron ( x 1)
Shoveler ( x 100)
Coot ( x 200)
Mallard ( x 30)
Black-Necked Grebe ( x 7)
Red-Crested Pochard ( 50)
Black-Headed Gull ( x 10)
Crag Martin ( x 20)
House Martin ( x 10)
Swallow ( x 50)
Calandra Lark ( x 50)
Short-Toed Lark ( x 1)
Lesser Short-Toed Lark ( x 200)
Thekla Lark ( x 20)
Crested Lark ( x 300)
Spotless Starling ( x 500)
House Sparrow ( x 2000)
Tree Sparrow ( x 30)
Corn Bunting ( x 50)
Chaffinch ( x 100)
Greenfinch ( x 1)
Bullfinch ( x 2)
Goldfinch ( x 20)
Linnet ( x 200)
Serin ( x 1)
Siskin ( x 2)
Blackcap ( x 3)
Chiffchaff ( x 1)
Cetti's Warbler ( x 1)
Western Bonelli's Warbler ( x 3)
Sardinian Warbler ( x 1)
Spectacled Warbler ( x 1)
Firecrest ( x 2)
Meadow Pipit ( x 1)
White Wagtail ( x 2)
Crested Tit ( x 1)
Coal Tit ( x 10)
Blue Tit ( x 1)
Great Tit ( x 15)
Black Redstart ( x 30)
Redstart ( x 1)
Robin ( x 5)
Blackbird ( x 4)
Song Thrush ( x 1)
Blue Rock Thrush ( x 1)
Great Spotted Woodpecker ( x 3)
Nuthatch ( x 5)
Red-Billed Chough ( x 50)
Wood Pigeon ( x 50)
Collared Dove ( x 50)
Rock Dove ( x 100)
Raven ( x 10)
Carrion Crow ( x 100)
Jackdaw ( x 1)
Jay ( x 2)
Magpie ( x 70)
Stone Curlew ( x 2)
Red-Legged Partridge ( x 4)
White Stork ( x 30)
Cattle Egret ( x 1)
Monk Parakeet ( x 1)

Last edited:
Great report Wolfbirder, I certainly admire your tenacity, pays off though doesn't it.

I had several Dupont's in the same area as you a couple of years ago - junction of Quinto track with track to Belchite one - and although this was early May they were still singing and displaying, also same at La Lomanza and Sepulveda. I think it's a myth they only sing at dawn and dusk, at all three places they were singing from about 09.30 to midday at least, in fact I slept in the car at Planeron for a dawn start but they didn't start singing until after 9am.

If you try for Snow Finch again early in the year give El Portalet a go, take the track behind the shops opposite to the main car park, walk for about 1/2 mile and check out the scree slope facing you, if there is still plenty of snow on the tops they can sometimes be found here.

regards

John

Great report Wolfbirder, I certainly admire your tenacity, pays off though doesn't it.

I had several Dupont's in the same area as you a couple of years ago - junction of Quinto track with track to Belchite one - and although this was early May they were still singing and displaying, also same at La Lomanza and Sepulveda. I think it's a myth they only sing at dawn and dusk, at all three places they were singing from about 09.30 to midday at least, in fact I slept in the car at Planeron for a dawn start but they didn't start singing until after 9am.

If you try for Snow Finch again early in the year give El Portalet a go, take the track behind the shops opposite to the main car park, walk for about 1/2 mile and check out the scree slope facing you, if there is still plenty of snow on the tops they can sometimes be found here.

regards

John

Hi John

Thanks for your kind words. I agree with what you say about the Dupont's Larks - they were easy once I realised I was not on the best track, but I guess this will falsely raise hopes for future visitors.

El Portalet was recommended, and after Astun I even thought about driving round, but i was pretty exhausted by then and presumed it might just be the same. Not too bothered to be honest.

I always feel envious about the success of some fellow birders, but i have my limitations and still get great enjoyment finding my own birds.

No doubt my failures will start to nag and plans for a return will be considered, but driving on fresh snow last november scared me ****less !!

I don't think there's any 'failures' in birding Wolfbirder more a case of whether your luck is in or not, we all miss some things and get something unexpected in return for our efforts.

Citril Finch of course you can get during the summer months at Gabardito, Snow Finch in the Picos de Europa at Fuente De and Little Bustard in Extramadura all fairly easily, (and a load of other good birds in between), there's a nice round trip for you - tempted!! :-O

regards

John

I don't think there's any 'failures' in birding Wolfbirder more a case of whether your luck is in or not, we all miss some things and get something unexpected in return for our efforts.

Citril Finch of course you can get during the summer months at Gabardito, Snow Finch in the Picos de Europa at Fuente De and Little Bustard in Extramadura all fairly easily, (and a load of other good birds in between), there's a nice round trip for you - tempted!! :-O

regards

John

Yes mate, no doubt I will be back, but I have had my mini-break birding for this year (or so the wife thinks ;)!!)

Good trip then and sounds like a good time of the year!

In France SnowFinch in the mountain restaurant car park on Monday, Wallcreeper on the church and the first Egyptians of the year yesterday. However, on the downside still no White Backed Wood and the Middle Spots seem to have dissappeared....

Congratulations

Hi Wolfbirder. Glad you had a successful trip in the end, for the most part anyway.

I think Little Bustard can often be difficult on this kind of trip without a lot of luck as much time is spent moving about in the car when, on foot, they can be heard 'fart-raspberrying' and subsequently picked out at this time of year.

All the best

Good trip then and sounds like a good time of the year!

In France SnowFinch in the mountain restaurant car park on Monday, Wallcreeper on the church and the first Egyptians of the year yesterday. However, on the downside still no White Backed Wood and the Middle Spots seem to have dissappeared....

Whereabouts Rosbifs? El Portalet? I really wondered about going round but i thought it may just be the same as Astun/Candanchu/Somport. I nearly decided to go as you I think advised. :-CSods law!

Hi Wolfbirder. Glad you had a successful trip in the end, for the most part anyway.

I think Little Bustard can often be difficult on this kind of trip without a lot of luck as much time is spent moving about in the car when, on foot, they can be heard 'fart-raspberrying' and subsequently picked out at this time of year.

All the best

Hi Steve

I did get out of my car at Ontinena by the two stone ruins. But you are right i should have got out on foot a bit more. Are LB's at Belchite?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back