• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve trip Nov 7-23rd 2009 (1 Viewer)

john-henry

Algarve, Portugal, 7th – 23rd November 2009. J H Johns. Part 1

I’m not sure that too many people are interested in Western European trip reports anymore, they seem to have been overtaken by more faraway places but I’ll stick this one on here anyway, might interest a few that want a cheapish winter break with plenty of birds.

This trip turned out to be the best so far, weather was great, plenty of sunshine and apart from one small shower, dry!! I managed 143 species without trying to rattle up a great list and photographed about 80 of these. Total mileage for trip about 1200km.

Accommodation – Booked via TravelRepublic.co.uk
Still very cheap during the winter months especially as the price is per room not per person.
One bedroom SC apartment at Bayside Apartments, Salgados, £85.20 for 6 nights.
SC Studio at Pedras D’el Rei, near Tavira, £77.78 for 4 nights.
SC Studio at Oasis Village, Vilamoura, £82.18 for 6 nights.
All were kept clean and tidy, soap, towels etc were provided. The bonus of being able to cook your own meals suited me well. I’d recommend any of these for birders who want to spend most of their time in the field and then not have to find somewhere to eat in the evening.

Car hire – booked with holidayautos.co.uk
4-door Ford Fiesta £173.72 for 16 days. (Petrol expensive at 1.34 euros/litre).

7th Nov… Up at 04.30 for 07.30 flight from Newquay to Bristol Airport then 16.55 flight to Faro Airport arriving there at 19.00, 25 minutes early. Today was the only downside of the trip, it meant a 9 hour wait between flights, boring as hell!!
Picked up the hire car from Auto Jardim at Faro Airport and set off for my first 6 nights accommodation at Bayside Apartments, Salgados a few kilometers west of Albufeira.

8th Nov…Up about 07.45, already daylight. After a breakfast of sausage rolls left over from yesterday and several cups of tea got my gear together and left for Pera Marsh.
A stop at the golf course at the end of the road got the day of to a good start with 2 Caspian Terns, Yellow-legged, Lesser black-backed and Black-headed Gulls. Squacco Heron, Little Egret, Coot and Moorhen, Common Sandpiper, Little Grebe, Shoveler, Mallard, Crested Lark, White Wagtails, Meadow Pipits, Robin, Jay, Collared Doves, Blackbird, House Sparrows, Chiffchaffs, Hoopoe and Kestrel,
Arriving at Pera Marsh (Lagoa de Salgados) and finding it was completely drained was a bit of a downer, it was the lowest I’ve seen it, just a small area of water on the golf course side, the rest was barren!! However, as always, there were a few birds to be seen although distant.
Big surprise was a Sacred Ibis wandering around, someone must be one short on their collection!!
Spending a few hours here though revealed 10 Spoonbills, c.70 Grey Herons, sev. White Storks, Cormorants, a handful of waders including Sanderling, Ringed Plover, Redshank and Lapwing. Passerines included the first Bluethroat of the trip, sev. Fan-tailed and Sardinian Warblers, Chiffchaffs (but not in the usual numbers seen), Serin, Corn Bunting, Reed Bunting, Crested Lark, Skylarks, Stonechat, Crag Martins and a few Barn Swallows, Southern Grey Shrike, Marsh Harrier and a Siberian Hare racing across the dry marsh.
The usual lake to the Salgados side of the marsh was a fraction of its normal size but still held at least 80 Little Grebes, one Black-necked Grebe, 6 Black-winged Stilts and a few Moorhen.
So, even with the absence of many of the birds usually seen a few hours can be enjoyable and rewarding, 30+ species in one small area.
By now it was mid-afternoon and a trip to the local supermarket was called for, food and drink was needed for the next few days.
Last stop of the day was a return to the golf course seeing a few Cattle Egrets, Spoonbill, a juv. Purple Gallinule, Kingfisher, Snipe, Waxbills etc. and another Hare by the target range.
Not a bad first day at all, worth a fry-up tonight and a few glasses of the rather good Portuguese red wine.

Attachments

• crested-lark-5055.jpg
    crested-lark-5055.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 133
  • fan-tailed-warbler-4575.jpg
    fan-tailed-warbler-4575.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 128
  • caspian-tern-6780.jpg
    caspian-tern-6780.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 116
  • squacco-heron-5542.jpg
    squacco-heron-5542.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 127
  • sardinian-warbler-5554.jpg
    sardinian-warbler-5554.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 118
Algarve, Portugal, 7th – 23rd November 2009. J H Johns. Part 2.

9th Nov…Up at 07.40, left at 08.30 for Quinta da Rocha. Weather sunny, warm but windy,
A group of Azure-winged Magpies moving through the hedges and coming down onto the track was worth stopping for especially as it led to a close Southern Grey Shrike perching up nicely for a photo.
Arriving in the car park 60 Flamingos and several Grey Herons were on the flash lagoon, which today was too full of water to hold small waders. The usual passerines were present but not showing too well due to the strong wind, a bit of patience though produced Sardinian and Fan-tailed Warblers, Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs, Waxbills, Spanish Sparrows, Serins, Goldfinch, Linnet, Greenfinch, Crested Lark and Skylarks, etc. while inland a large flock (c.200) of White Storks circled.
The usual circular walk along the seaward bank, up to the saltpans and back to the car park was fairly quiet due to the tide being in but as it dropped waders started appearing, Dunlin, Sanderling, Ringed and Grey Plovers, Turnstone, Redshank and Greenshank, Whimbrel, Black-winged Stilts and Oystercatchers. Sandwich Terns and Caspian Tern, Water Rails calling, another Southern Grey Shrike, 3 Bluethroats, Water Pipit, Kingfisher, Kestrel were all seen plus a few Mediterranean Gulls with the usual 3 gull spp.
Later in the afternoon a scan for Stone Curlew proved fruitless but a field being ploughed attracted scores of Cattle Egrets including one almost brown in colour, so much so I thought it was a Squacco Heron at first sight, a good number of gulls were following the plough of course. Numerous White Wagtails picked through earth ploughed earlier in the day while 4 Little Owls called to each other. A Black Redstart bounced around the ruined building and the Azure-winged Magpies returned to inspect the track – probably for road-kill insects etc.
On the drive back towards Alvor the bird of the day presented itself, Black-shouldered Kite, hunting the area to the left of the road just before the turn-off for Faro. Amazingly this was followed by two more as I was going round the roundabout that leads up to the A22, of course I went round this twice for another look because I couldn’t stop anywhere. What a great finish to an already great day!

10th Nov…Up at 06.40, only a light breeze today with temperatures in the 70’s. I left for Cabo de Sao Vicente but it looked a bit cloudy in that direction so turned off for Quinta da Rocha again, this turned out a good decision for today, and tomorrow.
A Black-shouldered Kite was one of the first birds seen, luckily it landed on a nearby tree, so I drove a bit closer and managed 3 quick shots before it moved further away, they really are wary birds.
Back to the car park, more passerines visible today, mainly as yesterday with the addition of Hoopoe and Reed Bunting. Loads of Waxbill activity, one even carrying nest material while others were feeding fledged young, no wonder they’re spreading so fast!
Only one juv Flamingo on the lagoon today plus 2 Avocets and a Black-tailed Godwit. I did the circular walk in reverse today to catch the waders roosting in the saltpans, only problem was they weren’t there!! Most of yesterday’s birds were seen plus 2 Golden Plover, a Grey Plover mainly in summer plumage looked brilliant with the sun on it, 2 Caspian Terns etc. 4 Bluethroat today, one sitting up nicely for a photograph as a bonus. About 20 Griffon Vultures passing over heading west was unexpected
On to Abicada from here, plenty of White Storks and Spoonbills present but I didn’t stay long due to a couple of seedy characters in the adjacent building, when I saw one putting make-up on the other’s face I thought it time to go.
Pera Marsh for the rest of the afternoon seemed a good bet, it didn’t disappoint either, 2 Marsh Harriers quartered the marsh, a Black-shouldered Kite came over from Quinta de Saudade area and headed across the golf course and a ringtail Hen Harrier hunted the Carlos track area. Someone I met earlier told me a White-headed Duck was present at the small pool tucked away at the top end of the marsh but it wasn’t showing amongst the Teal, Mallard, Pochard, Shoveler and Little Grebes present, however I put up 2 Green Sandpipers, 4 Jack Snipe (my first in Portugal) and several Common Snipe getting there.

Attachments

• southern-grey-shrike-4967a.jpg
    southern-grey-shrike-4967a.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 114
  • spanish-sparrow-5565a.jpg
    spanish-sparrow-5565a.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 117
  • black-winged-stilt-5064.jpg
    black-winged-stilt-5064.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 118
  • B-S-Kite-4988.jpg
    B-S-Kite-4988.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 133
  • white-stork-4814.jpg
    white-stork-4814.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 94
Don't worry about what you perceive to be a lack of interest in Western European trip reports; keep them coming! I'm looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip. Nine hours in Bristol Airport sound harsh! True enough, I've never been there, but I've had some long waits in Liverpool Airport.

Allen

I am still interested in any European reports, especially Portugal.
I have been visiting the Algarve in February for eight years now,but have yet to see a Black Kite,lucky you!
Sounds like you had an excellent trip and I am looking forward to the next instalment.

Good start to the Trip John, Never got round to Quinta Da Rocha must fit it in Next year.
The Lake at Quinto Do Lago took a lot of my Time. A good collection of Photo's to start the Holiday. Keep the reports coming!

Good start to the Trip John, Never got round to Quinta Da Rocha must fit it in Next year.
The Lake at Quinto Do Lago took a lot of my Time. A good collection of Photo's to start the Holiday. Keep the reports coming!

Jim,
I think it takes a few trips to get to know the more productive places along the Algarve, good excuse for another winter break next year :-O

Algarve, Portugal, 7th – 23rd November 2009. J H Johns. Part 3

11th Nov…Up at 05.40, quick breakfast and on the road for Cabo de Sao Vicente before 07.00, getting there about 08.00. The first couple of hours were spent covering the area for Alpine Accentor but with no luck, a few Black Redstarts, Thekla Larks, 2 Blue Rock Thrushes, Sardinian and Fan-tailed Warblers, Kestrel and several Buzzards were seen while a few finches, including Siskin passed overhead. Gannets fished offshore.
About 10.00 I started noticing an increase in Buzzard numbers, 8 in the air together. While watching them a Booted Eagle joined them and a Peregrine shot through the group, great I thought, scanning around I counted 20 Buzzards scattered over the area, next several Booted Eagles appeared along the coast, this was getting good, another scan showed a large kettle of vultures in the distance. Then it clicked, raptor migration, yes, one of the things I’ve most wanted to see here but always thought I was too late in November.
Over the next 1½hours Booted Eagles, Short-toed Eagles, Egyptian Vultures and Buzzards seemed to be everywhere and coming from all directions, some singly, some in small groups, one group of 8 Short-toed Eagles really had me drooling, some were just coasting, some passing overhead seaward then returning a few minutes later, others heading inland, I didn’t know where to look first, it was an absolutely fantastic experience, one that will always stay in my memory..
On the comical side of it I suppose, I was stood in the middle of nowhere with a camera on a tripod, swinging it left then right, even going round in circles at times, anyone looking and not realising what was happening must have thought I’d been out in the sun too long!!
Things quieted down a bit after 11.30 with more birds moving inland, when I calmed down a bit I too headed inland along the Vale de Santo track to see if any were hanging around, from here I could see several Short-toed Eagles to the east so moved over to the ‘Trig Point’ track, but not before seeing 30+ Red-billed Chough feeding in the fields, Thekla, Crested and Skylarks, Jackdaws, Spotless Starlings and Hen Harrier.
Parking near the start of the pines several Short-toed Eagles were hunting the area, one group of 3 being seen on and off throughout the afternoon, one passing directly overhead, absolute magic. The occasional Booted Eagle also put in an appearance while several tired Buzzards rested on the ground or low bushes. The Griffon Vultures hadn’t really seemed to move anywhere but as the afternoon passed they gradually worked their way inland – presumably to try again another day.
Other birds in the area include Crag Martins, Swallows, 2 Ravens, Cattle Egret, Thekla Lark and one Black Stork flying inland.
What a day, I’ll certainly celebrate with a few glasses tonight.

12th Nov…Up early again at 06.40. A quick stop at the golf course ditch found 2 Squacco Herons there before the golfers appeared. Onward for a couple of hours at Quinta da Rocha to try for some pics of Sardinian Warbler and Spanish Sparrow, no problem and left again an hour later for Foia but not before adding Green Sandpiper to the list for here.
Today I was trying for some photos of Dartford Warbler and Rock Bunting but failed miserably, absolutely nothing. Saw plenty of Dartford and 3 Rock Buntings but none out in the open or within range.
However it was a beautiful day and a very scenic area. A Woodlark was singing as if it was spring, the usual warblers and finches, lots of Stonechats, Wren, a late Wheatear, 1 swallow, 30-40 Crag Martins and 8 Griffon Vultures made it worth the trip. A Crested Tit was calling on the way down to Monchique.
Last quick stop of the day at Pera Marsh gave Marsh Harrier, 6 Spoonbills, Caspian Tern, a few more waders than last time – 10 Black-winged Stilts, Dunlin, Ringed Plover, Sanderling, Green Sandpiper, Lapwing and 20 Golden Plover.

Attachments

• booted-eagle-5220.jpg
    booted-eagle-5220.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 115
  • short-toed-eagle-5316.jpg
    short-toed-eagle-5316.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 123
  • egyptian-vulture-5348.jpg
    egyptian-vulture-5348.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 139
  • buzzard-5275.jpg
    buzzard-5275.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 120
  • thekla-lark-5182.jpg
    thekla-lark-5182.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 125
Algarve, Portugal, 7th – 23rd November 2009. J H Johns. Part 4

13th Nov…Checked out of Bayside Apartments at 08.00 and headed for Quinta do Lago, partly because I had all my belongings in the boot of the car and the car park here has a security guard watching the cars.
Tried the right hand track first, all the usual warblers, finches, gulls seen plus Waxbills, Azure-winged Magpies, Kingfisher, 3 Bluethroats, Black Redstart, White Storks, Grey Heron, Spoonbill, both Egrets, Cormorants, pale ph Booted Eagle, Shelduck, 11 species of wader including, Curlew, Whimbrel, Bar-tailed and Black-tailed Godwits.
The small pools at the rear of the lake here, usually good for a few waders etc were bone dry.
Returning to the car park for a bite to eat I then set off on the left hand track. A new hide has been erected overlooking the large tidal pool where the track splits for Ludo and the golf course lake (Lagoa de Sao Lorenco), another top class wooden structure.
The golf course lake and surroundings is (in my opinion) one of the best spots on the Algarve for seeing birds at close range and usually has a very good variety including some of the less common species not seen elsewhere, notably on this trip Little Bittern, Glossy Ibis and Red-crested Pochard plus Purple Gallinule, Coot, Moorhen, Mallard, Teal, Shoveler, Gadwall, Pochard, Wigeon, Tufted Duck, Little Grebe, Little Egret, Waxbill, 4 usual warblers plus Cetti’s, Azure-winged Magpies, Serin, Bluethroat, Water Pipit, Kingfisher, Caspian and Sandwich Tern, 4 usual gull spp. Etc.
The afternoon spent here, taking a few photos and meeting a few other birders, knowing my gear was safe in the car, passed too quickly and it was time to head for Piedras D’el Rei, near Tavira where I’d booked a studio for the next 4 nights.

14th Nov…Had not stayed here before but chose it for easier coverage of the eastern side of the Algarve e.g. Faro to Castro Marim on the Spanish border, it worked out very well, 20mins or so to the border, Tavira a few minutes away, Faro 15mins or so, it certainly cut down on the driving.
The SC studio itself and complex were a bit more up-market than Salgados, very smart, good furnishings etc and a few decent birds in the grounds, the balcony also overlooked the Rio Formosa estuary.
2 Hoopoes feeding on the lawn along with several Waxbills, Black Redstart, Spotless Starlings, Serin, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Sardinian Warbler, Collared Dove, Robin, Blackbird, Great Tit, Cattle Egret, were all seen while having breakfast on the balcony.
A Bluethroat was calling from the saltmarsh opposite so I thought I’d better make a move and take a look at the estuary. Many of the usual waders were present as were Little Egrets, Spoonbills etc 10 Flamingos flew east towards Tavira as did 100+ Mediterranean Gulls in various sized groups.
Tavira saltpans along the 4 Aguas Road was the main interest today
Plenty of birds around, the tide and saltpan levels were good. 14 species of wader including Little Stint, Kentish Plover, Little Ringed Plover, Black-winged Stilt and Avocet. About 60 Audouin’s Gulls rested on the banks of the saltpans with the usual 4 gull spp. and a few Sandwich Terns.
Spoonbills, both egrets, Flamingos were noted as was a Marsh Harrier further into the pans.
My favourite spot for Bluethroat in Tavira turned up trumps with 3 present including a magnificent male that sat up for a few pics. Black-billed Magpie (not at all common along the Algarve), the usual warblers plus Cetti’s and a 1st yr. Great Black-backed Gull (not common here either) were also seen.
After some shopping in Tavira and a trip to the excellent supermarket there I headed back to Piedras feeling well pleased but a bit knackered, I think the pace of the ‘holiday’ was catching up with me.
A Little Owl was calling in the grounds at dusk.

15th Nov… Up at 06.45, 5 Black-billed Magpies from balcony plus groups of Cormorants totalling about 300 birds flying east, presumably from a roost in Tavira. Also the Med gulls going west again.
Left about 08.00 for Castro Marim. 1 Pied Wagtail with White Wagtails, on road up to the N125.
Visited the Reserve Centre side first, almost the first bird I saw was Dartford warbler and I managed a few pics of it, all the chasing around at Foia for nothing and one pops up when you least expect it – how many times has this happened to all of us! The 4 usual warblers, Cetti’s, 3 Bluethroat, Corn and Reed Buntings, Stonechat, Crested Lark, about 30 Azure-winged Magpie, Caspian Tern, usual 4 gull spp. White Storks, Spoonbill, both egrets, Grey Heron, Marsh Harrier, Kestrel, Buzzard, 2 p.ph Booted Eagles, waders included 6 Spotted Redshank, Little Stints and Black-winged Stilts.
Next was the lower reserve track, opposite the roundabout outside Castro Marim, 2 Stone Curlews were the star birds, showing well but distant in the field with a ruined barn in it. Quite a few waders in the pools, 6 Little Stint, 8 Curlew Sandpiper, Kentish Plovers etc. Water pipit, the usual warblers plus Dartford Warblers – I even managed to photograph one of these too.
Around to the salt works side next, Bluethroat, Southern Grey Shrike, lots more small waders than the other areas, gulls, Flamingos, Spoonbills etc. Only problem was being a Sunday the gates were shut and a load of boulders plugged the gap to the side of the gates so I decided to come back tomorrow.
On the way back to Tavira a Black-shouldered Kite was hovering just off the A22 near the R.de Amarlgem sign

Attachments

• waxbill-5639.jpg
    waxbill-5639.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 114
  • glossy-ibis-5759.jpg
    glossy-ibis-5759.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 102
  • hoopoe-6172.jpg
    hoopoe-6172.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 106
  • avocet-5973.jpg
    avocet-5973.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 100
  • bluethroat-6026a.jpg
    bluethroat-6026a.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 132
Very good John..... (he says - not at all jealous whilst girding loins for next fall of snow here in 'sunny' Surrey!!)

Always nice to hear news of the Algarve and interested to hear how you get on at the eastern side, which is more my stomping ground...

As a matter of interest, where is your favoured spot for Bluethroats nr Tavira? ....not that I'm ever there in the Winter to see them! Great pic at any rate....

Interested too in your choice of accommodation nr Tavira - the place that I stay is very good, but prices are now pretty steep...

As a matter of interest, do you happen to know whether the Bald Ibises have now gone from Salgados, and if so, where they may have re-located?

All the best... Ray

Hi Ray,
Favourite Bluethroat spot is along the ToMe Mariscos track, about 100yds from the entrance. You should be OK for them in your October trips.

No show of the Bald Ibis this year, I'm not sure but I think I read they're wintering somewhere in Spain.

Check out Piedras D'el Rei with Travel Republic Ray, I thought the place I stayed was great value for money.

Cheers for now

John

Hi Ray,
Favourite Bluethroat spot is along the ToMe Mariscos track, about 100yds from the entrance. You should be OK for them in your October trips.

No show of the Bald Ibis this year, I'm not sure but I think I read they're wintering somewhere in Spain.

Check out Piedras D'el Rei with Travel Republic Ray, I thought the place I stayed was great value for money.

Cheers for now

John

Hi John,

I recall reading that they came from the Spanish reintroduction program, so maybe they've reverted.....

We had a terrible experience a few years back with the weather in Portugal at end of Oct and we tend to head for warmer places in the half-term week these days. I tend to go to Tavira in June, and this year early Sep..... was hoping for early Bluethroats but didn't see any.

Look forward to reading the rest of the report.

All the best... Ray

Algarve, Portugal, 7th – 23rd November 2009. J H Johns. Part 5

16th Nov…Up at 06.45 again. Spent all day at the salt works side of Castro Marim. Bit overcast in the morning, (had to put a jumper on for the first time), then sunny spells for rest of day.
Loads of birds throughout the saltpans, many of them out of reach of bins, a telescope is needed if birding but not necessary if you’re here for photography. I met a couple of birders from Tavira, as usual we didn’t exchange names but I’d like to thank them for pointing me in the direction of some Slender-billed Gulls, which showed well and gave me a few photos.
Waders were well represented with 19 species seen, Ruff, Dunlin, Little Stint, Sanderling, Turnstone, Curlew Sandpiper, Common and Green Sandpipers, Ringed, Kentish, Grey and Golden Plovers, Redshank, Spotted Redshank, Greenshank, Black-tailed Godwit, Black-winged Stilt, 100+ Avocet and Snipe, 20+ Spoonbill, 60+ Flamingo, White Stork, both egrets, Grey Heron, numerous Cormorants, 3 Marsh Harrier (1male), Buzzard, Bluethroats, Corn Buntings, Crested Larks, Water Pipits, usual warblers etc, White Wagtails, Southern Grey Shrike, 10 Little Terns – which now seem to winter here. All in all an excellent area, well worth a visit to get a lot of species in one go.
Back at Piedras D’el Rei 3 Caspian Terns flew over heading east.

17th Nov… Checked out of Piedras D’el Rei at 08.30 and headed for Tavira saltpans for a last look around. Still good numbers of birds, 20 Spoonbills, 30+ Flamingos, 70+ Audouin’s Gulls, plus usual gulls, waders and passerines.
Heading west from Tavira I stopped off at Pinheiro for a look around, loads of small waders in the old saltpans, 15+ Kentish Plover, Knot, Curlew Sandpiper, Little Stint plus the more common ones. Several Bluethroats again (seems a particularly good year for recording these), usual warblers, Serin, Southern Grey Shrike, Waxbills, Spoonbills, egrets etc.
From here west to Vilamoura and the Oasis Village, for my last 6 nights accommodation. After booking in had a quick look at Falesia Lake just a few minutes drive away. Waxbills, usual 4 warblers + Cetti’s, Penduline Tits calling, 3 Marsh Harriers, 2 Caspian Terns fishing.
Back on the balcony at Oasis Village 5 Night Herons flew over at dusk heading towards the marshes.

18th Nov… Up at 06.30 but didn’t leave until 09.00, trying for a few shots of Azure-winged Magpie.10+ Song Thrushes roosting, Crag Martins, Black Redstart, Crested Lark, Sardinian Warbler, Blackcaps, Chiffchaff and Cattle Egrets overhead started the day off.
Down to Falesia Lake to look for Penduline Tit, 4 were seen together almost immediately, lovely birds, others were calling from different parts of the reedbed. Good numbers of Cetti’s and Sardinian Warblers with a few Fan-tailed were seen, Waxbills bombing around all over the place.
On to Quarteria from here, to the lake at Forte Novo. No lake, only a channel of water trickling through the middle of dry earth, presumably due to the lack of rain for the past few months. All I could see was a Black-necked Grebe and a White Stork so drove round to the far side of the lake to the reedbeds and pines. Short-toed Treecreeper was my reward plus Kingfisher, loads of Azure-winged Magpies, Jay, usual warblers, Hoopoe, 2 Spoonbills, Black-tailed Godwit and Water Rail.
This seemed a good time to go back to Vilamoura, stock up on food and drink and stick it in the fridge. The last couple of hours of daylight were then spent at Falesia Lake, which turned out very well with 3 Marsh Harriers, ♂ and imm. Hen Harriers, 2 Kestrels and a Black-shouldered Kite plus yesterday’s birds in the reedbeds. A good end to the day.

Attachments

• dartford-warbler-6103.jpg
    dartford-warbler-6103.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 117
  • slender-billed-gull-6379.jpg
    slender-billed-gull-6379.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 114
  • purple-gallinule-7065.jpg
    purple-gallinule-7065.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 120
  • azure-wg-magpie-7104.jpg
    azure-wg-magpie-7104.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 108
  • marsh-harrier-5605.jpg
    marsh-harrier-5605.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 109
Algarve, Portugal, 7th – 23rd November 2009. J H Johns. Part 6

19th Nov…Up at 06.20, left at 08.00 for Falesia Lake, Penduline Tits were showing very well as were a couple of Black-faced Weavers, a Redwing was new for the trip, Great Tits, Water Rails etc.
On to Quinta do Lago, my favourite spot, where I met Jim Woods and his wife, lovely couple, very natural and friendly, good company to be with.
Glossy Ibis still here and remained until at least 22nd Nov. ♂Little Bittern, several Black-faced Weavers, Waxbills, usual 4 warblers, Cetti’s Warbler, Water Pipit, Grey Wagtail, ♀ Bluethroat, Snipe, usual duck spp. 6 Purple Gallinules, Kingfisher, Serins singing, Azure-winged Magpies etc. etc.
Spent the last couple of hours here waiting for the Little Bittern to re-appear, it didn’t, but chatting and swapping information with Jamie who, like me, comes every November, made a very pleasant afternoon, a really nice chap, friendly and very good company.
Back at Oasis Village a couple of Siskins passed overhead.

20th Nov…Up at 06.20 to be at Quinta do Lago lake by 08.00, hopefully for some pics of the male Little Bittern, it kept me waiting an hour or so but then sat up on top the reeds enjoying the sunshine, at least 2 males and a female showed well on and off for the rest of the day, great stuff. The Squacco Heron showed briefly then flew off towards the old saltpans, 1 female Red-crested Pochard seemed to be the only one around this year.
A walk up to Ludo saltpans was rewarding with a dk.ph. Booted Eagle, Marsh Harrier, 2 Buzzards, Kestrel, 70+ White Storks, 2 Spoonbill, Common and Green Sandpipers, Hoopoe and Song Thrush, the usual warblers plus a pair of Cetti’s singing and displaying.
Back at the lake c.50 Azure-winged Magpies were grouping to go to roost.

21st Nov… Up at 07.00 left at 08.30 for Falesia Lake, managed a few shots of Azure-winged Magpie and White Wagtail on the way. Penduline Tits and usual birds still here, Little Bittern calling from reedbed, Caspian Tern fishing plus usual birds seen. Counted 110 Azure-winged Magpies flying towards Vilamoura.
Jamie had told me of a Ferruginous Duck and a Purple Heron being at the Parque Ambiental Reserve so headed over there to try my luck, got the Ferruginous but not the heron. 36 species were seen include House Martin (first for the trip), Purple Gallinules, ♂ Hen Harrier, 3 Marsh Harriers and Little Bittern.
Back to Oasis for food and drink, from the balcony I could see Hoopoe and ♂Black Redstart on the lawn and a Short-toed Treecreeper on the trees so rushed down and got a couple of shots of it.
About 15.30 went down to the B S Kite area, 3 Kestrels, 2 imm. Marsh Harriers, ringtail Hen Harrier, lots of passerines coming in to roost here – Azure-winged Magpies, Corn Buntings, Linnets, House Sparrows, Meadow Pipits, White Wagtails, obviously a good attraction for hungry raptors.
Across to Falesia lake just before dusk, 2 Little Bitterns calling, 3 more Marsh Harriers and Spotless Starlings coming in to roost.

22 Nov…Up at 07.00 left at 08.00 for Falesia Lake. Usual birds seen plus Buzzard and Great Crested Grebe.
On to Quinta do Lago for my last day of birding and I wanted some photos of Whimbrel and Kentish Plover, these were taken fairly easy along the estuary path.
Several Little Bitterns ♂ and ♀ showed well through the day, Glossy Ibis was still here, 30+ Med Gulls (mainly adult), Water Pipit, 2 Bluethroats, ♀ Red-crested Pochard, p.ph. Booted Eagle, Swallow, plus usual duck, warblers, etc. and a pair of Little Grebes nest building.
That’s it, another enjoyable Algarve trip over, good weather, plenty of birds, meet a few friendly people, quiet roads (at this time of year) all the ingredients for a good holiday, I’ll be back for more next year that’s for sure.
Anyone wanting more information etc just get in touch.

23rd Nov…Up at 06.15 to finish packing. Several Night Herons seen leaving the marshes from the balcony.

Attachments

• little-bittern-7009a.jpg
    little-bittern-7009a.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 110
  • kentish-plover-7247.jpg
    kentish-plover-7247.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 104
  • blk-headed-weaver-6866.jpg
    blk-headed-weaver-6866.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 116
  • penduline-tit-6831.jpg
    penduline-tit-6831.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 113
  • cetti's-warbler-6837.jpg
    cetti's-warbler-6837.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 109
Hi John,
a very enjoyable reading as always, you did exceptionally well with 80 species photographed.
I've visited just a couple of places there (Quinta do Lago and Quinta da Rocha), I should absolutely go back to see all the others!
It seems that some typical summer species are wintering there, is Little Bittern is a regular presence in November?

cheers, Stefano

Hi Stefano,

Yes Little Bitterns regularly winter in the central Algarve, between Faro and Salgados (Pera Marsh) in suitable reedbeds, as do Squacco Herons, numbers probably vary from year to year depending on autumn weather but Quinta do Lago seems the most reliable place to see them. I think you do have to put the time in to get them though and it helps if you know their call.

I find November to be a great month to visit the Algarve, never been disappointed with the weather and number and variety of birds, highly recommend a trip if you can make it.

Best wishes

John

Hi John,
a very enjoyable reading as always, you did exceptionally well with 80 species photographed.
I've visited just a couple of places there (Quinta do Lago and Quinta da Rocha), I should absolutely go back to see all the others!
It seems that some typical summer species are wintering there, is Little Bittern is a regular presence in November?

cheers, Stefano

Another good trip report John, and a nice trip list too. I fancy a spring trip and this may be just the place. The accommodation prices are great, especially for budget conscious birders, lots of us about these days.

Twite.

Hello Twite my friend,

Remember migration starts earlier than ours and many of the wintering birds will be moving away, they don't have a great migration in the Algarve in spring either but quite a few desirable birds will be arriving.

have a look at this website, it will give you a better picture of what to expect.

http://algarvebirdman.com/default.asp?o=12897

All the best

John

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back