• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anas sp. Portugal, Quinta do Lago 10th October (1 Viewer)

mäkpe

I was watching Purple Swamphens, ducks etc. in Quinta do Lago, when I noticed weird female duck amongst them. I think it must be some kind of hybrid, any ideas?

More pics of the mystery duck in my blog.

Attachments

• Anas3.jpg
    Anas3.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 206
I reckon it's a blue-winged teal, yellow legs, quite long bill, a pale loral spot is visible in some of the photos - plus it's with shovelers - BW teal often latch onto shoveler groups.

Actually, this is a female Cinnamon Teal (like this one).
Female Blue-winged has stronger face markings, including a dark eyestripe and obvious white eye-crescents, and has a less powerful, all-dark bill.
The long, Pintail-like rear end of this bird is also quite typical of Cinnamon.
Probably an escape, but you never know. There are lots of records on the east coast of North America.

Looking at the blog-pics it's obvious it's not a clear pintail.

It's not that uncommon that blue-winged teal and showler mate so this might be how a female of that pair could look like (??), but i can't see any showler bill on this one so it's nothing i would bet money on.

Hybrids are often subjects to never-ending debates so i'll throw in the towel here ;-)

didn't even think about Cinnamon teal - yes, I agree with Smiths - the face pattern isn't bold enough for a BW, and is lacking the white 'eyelids'. Also the pinky patches on the sides of the bill are better fro cinnamon, as is the generally rusty colour of the bird.

I'm not convinced about the Cinnamon ID. I think the bill is too short and I'm worried about the pale spots on the bill. I didn't find any pics of Cinnamons with similar bill coloration.

There's another shot which shows the bill coloration better.

Attachments

• Anas2.jpg
    Anas2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 95
Especially immature Cinnamon Teals (and other immature dabbling ducks) may show some dark spotting on a paler backbround on the bill, but I can't find pictures of Cinnamon Teals with such strong orange patches on the bill. Here's one with weak yellowish patches:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chickadeetrails/3477425151/sizes/l/
The picture of a juvenile Cinnamon Teal in Sibley's guide does show rather broadly orange sides to the bill, but it is of course only a painting.

I believe that the colouration of the median and lesser upperwing coverts doesn't fit Cinnamon Teal. At least even juvenile female Blue-winged Teals (and of course also other age classes) have bluish median and lesser coverts, like this one:
http://www2.ups.edu/biology/museum/BWTEwing21772.jpg
As Cinnamon Teal is generally so similar to Blue-winged Teal, I believe that also even juvenile Cinnamon Teals should show bluish median and lesser coverts. The median and lesser coverts on the subject bird seems to have greyish centres with sharply defined pale edges:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4V_nbY82R1k/SthMWFMcxYI/AAAAAAAACFg/YOgQV0y2WEs/s1600-h/Anas3.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back