• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Squirrels finally meet their match (1 Viewer)

AnnieW

Well over the last few months I've tried various things to discourage the squirrels from raiding the feeders .... but nature has finally provided its own deterrant, in the shape of 3 crows that have teken up home at the bottom of the garden. They have been patrolling regularly for the last couple of days ... and the squirrels are looking rather nervous.

Any time the squirrels go near the feeders, the crows swoop down ... they don't get close to catching them, although they have had them cornered a few times !! I've attached a couple of shots below.

Only problem now is - the crows have taken to knocking one of the nut feeders off its hanger to spill the contents on the ground and if anything, they are even greedier than the squirrels .... see 3rd picture - how many nuts can you fit in one beak ??

Annie

Attachments

• Attack.jpg
    Attack.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 228
  • Cornered.jpg
    Cornered.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 223
  • How many nuts.jpg
    How many nuts.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 231
AnnieW said:
Only problem now is - the crows have taken to knocking one of the nut feeders off its hanger to spill the contents on the ground and if anything, they are even greedier than the squirrels .... see 3rd picture - how many nuts can you fit in one beak ??

Annie
Out of the frying pan into the fryer - LOL

Facinating series of pics.

Terry

Hi AnnieW

Do you think you could teach me to train a few of the hundreds of residents from the local Rookery situated about 50yds from my house (and regularly fly over) to patrol the open nest box I have put up that the Grey Squirrel has since shown an interest in?

edrick owl said:
Hi AnnieW

Do you think you could teach me to train a few of the hundreds of residents from the local Rookery situated about 50yds from my house (and regularly fly over) to patrol the open nest box I have put up that the Grey Squirrel has since shown an interest in?
Edrick - I'd be delighted to point them in your direction. I must point out, however, that their consultancy fees are not small - 1/2 lb of peanuts per bird per day ;) ;)

Hi, I am a new bird and squirrel feeding fan. The funny thing is the blackbirds eat the corn cobs put out for the squirrels and the spuirrels eat the seeds from the birdfeeders....any suggestions... or should I just set back and enjoy? Barneslonke

Hi Barneslonke, and welcome to the forum. I think lonoke is in Arkansas - had to do a spot of research on that one, hope I'm correct. I've managed to keep squirrels off most of my feeders - as far as I can see they'll eat anything I put on the ground for the birds.

Squirrels, birds and the BTO's 2004 research report.

Well over the last few months I've tried various things to discourage the squirrels from raiding the feeders .... but nature has finally provided its own deterrant, in the shape of 3 crows that have teken up home at the bottom of the garden.
Annie

Nice photo's Annie.
I wonder if the BTO sent them round to "Sort out your problem!!!

Extract from BTO report on Grey Squirrels and birds. Dated 2004.

"In spring, there are estimated to be 2.5 million Grey Squirrels in Britain, a number which grows as youngsters are produced during the course of the year and declines with winter mortality.
The highest reported level of predation was in a particular year in a Nottinghamshire wood, when Grey Squirrels were responsible for 27% of nest failures in nesting boxes. When Grey Squirrels were controlled on one Norfolk farm, the predation rate of open nests fell from 85% to between 5 and 10%. The arrival of Grey Squirrels in Durham coincided with the decline in abundance of open-nesting species (e.g. thrushes and finches)."

So which is best "the frying pan" or the "fire"

Regards

Malky @ Westhill

AnnieW

Could I pay them in kind - sort of by monotoring and recording their rookery, and by doing what I can to maintain and protect it where and when possible?

You scratch my back and I'll caw yours?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back