• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

the 8x42 (1 Viewer)

Getting back to the off-topic sub-topic:
So if I give you a "blind" test of Vortex Pentax and Meopta top of the line, Frank, can you tell them apart?
I'm not Frank, but in spite of what I consider fairly similar performance overall, I could differentiate between the Razor, Meostar, and DCF SP in a matter of seconds. Not in use necessarily, but by doing or improvising a star test(and as long as I didn't get cheese in my eye). The Meostar has a field flattener, and the SP uses aspherical lens elements, while the Razor has neither. They look very different when defocusing off-axis on a pinpoint light source.
Could only tell because I've had a couple of Razors, and use SPs and a Meostar daily. Outside of that, I'd probably be lost, since that's about the extent of the brands and models I'm familiar with.

Getting back to the off-topic sub-topic:

I'm not Frank, but in spite of what I consider fairly similar performance overall, I could differentiate between the Razor, Meostar, and DCF SP in a matter of seconds. Not in use necessarily, but by doing or improvising a star test(and as long as I didn't get cheese in my eye). The Meostar has a field flattener, and the SP uses aspherical lens elements, while the Razor has neither. They look very different when defocusing off-axis on a pinpoint light source.

Assigning a value to these differences is where things get sticky, even without the cheese.
One person may think fall-off of the image at the edges is very important and therefore dub those that have more of this somehow inferior. Some would prioritize CA, others eye relief and so on.

BTW, chilling the binos in the fridge before pointing them at the stars will raise the viscosity of the cheese and may help keep it out of your eyes.:eek!:

OK, guys, we will do the cheese test in winter, outdoors, to cut down on the sticky factor.

No, not a professional football fan, only college.

Assigning a value to these differences is where things get sticky, even without the cheese.
One person may think fall-off of the image at the edges is very important and therefore dub those that have more of this somehow inferior. Some would prioritize CA, others eye relief and so on.
Right. I wouldn't presume to tell someone else which features would be better for them. I honestly don't have a preference based on any of those things, with AFOV, vivid representation of colors/contrast, and brightness topping my list of desired qualities.
On topic, a good 8x42 should offer better potential light transmission and resolution than the shorter focal length 4mm exit pupil bins that I use, and with a 7.5* or greater FOV, a large and immersive AFOV. I would guess everything else would pretty much depend on the coatings...

edit: see me trying to talk myself into a 8x42? :D

Yeah, I'm trying to talk myself into a 7x50 for low light use, too.
So far I've managed to avoid redundancy and keep everything fairly practical from a usage and financial standpoint, but this want business is starting to get out of hand. I order one, and want something else(additional, not in place of) before it even gets here. FrankD is the devil...and my hero!
Seems I do find myself using a binocular almost constantly, though, so it's a lot of fun.

So if I give you a "blind" test of Vortex Pentax and Meopta top of the line, Frank, can you tell them apart?

Yes, the same here as Owen. Each has a different design and different specs. It probably wouldn't be that hard to tell them apart actually.

FrankD is the devil...and my hero!
Seems I do find myself using a binocular almost constantly, though, so it's a lot of fun.

Be that as it may...either way...;)...I am going to have to make a big decision and soon. I have too many high end binos and too big of a Visa bill. My selection is going to be cut down significantly. :(

Now, if nobody here has let on yet, there is going to be a "mystery" 8x42 bin coming in the mail tomorrow. It is supposedly from a new sport optics company and its specs are impressive.

Specifications:
Power: 8X
Objective Lens Diameter: 42mm
Type of Prism: BAK4 Roof
Prism Coating: Silver and phase coated
Body Construction: Magnesium Alloy
Objective Glass: Extra Low Dispersion (ED)
Focus System: Internal center focusing
Exit Pupil Diameter: 5.2mm
Eye Relief: 17.2mm
Field of View: 7.5° - 393 ft. @ 1000 yds.
Minimum Focusing Distance: 6.56’/2M
Waterproof: 1.5m for 3 minutes
Weatherproof: Nitrogen filled fog proof
Weight: 27.48 oz.

The bin leaning against the leather case is the bin in question.

Attachments

• binos_08.jpg
    binos_08.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Frank, once again, how do you sell stuff you do not keep around? I did a trade with that SW rifle scope outfit last pair I got. eBay I put on hold, I hate Pay Pal.

Owen,

It also looks like a Bushnell Infinity Elite too, but it's neither that or a Hawke. Frank and I both have one to review on the way to us. I'm sure we will each post more later. Should have them tomorrow. There is only so many binocular housings out there, so don't read too much into outward appearance.

The guesses at the other forum are also all way the heck off the mark too.

Last edited:
eBay I put on hold, I hate Pay Pal.

Many times Ebay...and yes through Paypal as well though I have to agree about Paypal. By the time Ebay takes their fees and Paypal takes their fees you are lucky to break even. Did you happen to get that email yesterday where Ebay is no longer going to allow you to accept cashiers checks or money orders as methods of payment?...or that you will not be able to charge shipping?

Not a happy camper. I might try to sell everything before September 12th as that is the supposed start-up date for the changes.

Short of Ebay I usually ask a few regulars here or over on 24hourcampfire. Sometimes folks are interested. It just depends on what you have to sell and how much. Short of that I have some birding friends here locally that are big into optics.

Sorry I cannot help more.

I was already blocked off of eBay a month ago without PayPal. I will send you PM on the SW outfit, you may want to know prices.

Kristoffer,

The whole idea of a "blind optics test" (I think there may be an oxymoron hiding somewhere in there) is probably a good one. Especially if we could keep Tero and his cheese spread under control. Blind by cheese spread is probably not what we seek.

It seems (to me anyway) a lot of the praise and the "wows!" we read from people are in large part written in order to convince themselves their buyers' remorse is unfounded and that they really didn't pay too much for their high money glass.

I think there are a lot of lesser priced binoculars that would fare way better than people might think if the identity and price of the range of binoculars was hidden from the viewer and the testing was done simply to answer a series of questions related just to optical quality. One of the binoculars that would compete with the big boys quite well is the Viper. The optics of that binocular are good enough to satisfy the binocular needs of even serious birders. A lot of people really do enjoy viewing through what they percieve as their "best". Some also really can justify their need for top dollar stuff. So, far be it from me to criticize their purchase. People tend to go overboard in analysis with the goal of finding fault far too easily.

Human nature is what it is, and bigger, or more advanced, or more whatever is seen as desirable. While I am not foolish enough to say a Viper can hang at the same level in serious optics testing as the premium brands, I am saying that you simply do not need to spend that kind of money for a good binocular. Using the money you save toward a good trip where you can use the binocular in new scenery is in my opinion a better coice.

I have a Viper and like it a lot. I would not mind a Razor, but I had money for the Viper, but not the Razor when I needed to buy. The big practical differences I see is that the Razor has a noticeably larger FOV. There is also the obvious difference in the designs that will effect personal ergonomics choice. The Viper is actually a little brighter than the Razor. Put one of each on Jupiter and its moons and the Razor is the resolution winner. But in terrestrial viewing, the Viper has never left me wishing for more optical quality.

Razor is too big and also too expensive for me. But perhaps someone appreciates its benefits :)

I am extremely pleased with my vipers. Bright, sharp image and i really like the ER on them. Also nice size for 8x42s.

Now, if nobody here has let on yet, there is going to be a "mystery" 8x42 bin coming in the mail tomorrow. It is supposedly from a new sport optics company and its specs are impressive.

Specifications:
Power: 8X
Objective Lens Diameter: 42mm
Type of Prism: BAK4 Roof
Prism Coating: Silver and phase coated
Body Construction: Magnesium Alloy
Objective Glass: Extra Low Dispersion (ED)
Focus System: Internal center focusing
Exit Pupil Diameter: 5.2mm
Eye Relief: 17.2mm
Field of View: 7.5° - 393 ft. @ 1000 yds.
Minimum Focusing Distance: 6.56’/2M
Waterproof: 1.5m for 3 minutes
Weatherproof: Nitrogen filled fog proof
Weight: 27.48 oz.

This is not related to this on another site is it?

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...bb/showflat/Number/2385838/page/1#Post2385838

He says it came from Doug (from CameraLandNY, I presume) who has removed the badges/labels and it is an open frame just like in FrankD's picture.

The mystery deepens!

Kevin

That is indeed the link. Interesting site. Worth a visit if for nothing else than education. There is lots of knowledge there, but some flame throwing can go on. None on the mystery site, so its safe.

Did yours show up today Steve? Mine didn't surprisingly. I am going to have to check with Doug to see when I can expect them.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back