• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The dangers of poweradiction (1 Viewer)

Fernando np

Last year I bought a TeleVue Radian 5mm eyepiece wich might get 100.4X in my Diascope 85. Lately I've carried only that eyepiece for some days, in part to improve skill in aiming. What's no trivial thing with such shallow DOF in the featureless stepping landscape. Other matter is looking for waders in the shore when you follow the water border. At the beggining, my patience was tested in the ploughed fields with the mimetic larks. Well, the level of detail improves more than the theorical rate 100 over 60, being this the upper limit from the Vario Zoom. After twenty years with spotting scopes I've found myself "wasting" the time counting the primary and secondary feathers in theklas and Dupon't lark among others. Today I went out with both eyepieces. In first time I had a look at a well known clift. When the wind stoped the eyelids of an eagle owl appeared crazy crisp at 100x. The atmosphere was unusual free of dust cause the springs storms. At the end of the day I turn the Dyascope towards a Great Bustard. Unluckily it's mirage time in the plains when the dark cropped fields begin to give heat to the skies. At such power the brigness is OK until goes abruptly down. Dissapointed for not getting more information than with my 8.5X42EL, I changed to the 20-60X. Across more than a half a kilometer of mirage it was obvious than the day was over . So I change to the other side of the valley, over the mirage. The 60X was useful for some minutes. Then the maximum detail was about 40. Then at 25X... But it has been enough time to appreciated how confortable the zoom is even at the cost of less detail. What FOV and DOF! Only then light turn on in my mind. I had punished my eyes the previous days more than I might. My sight was as tired than I've had to tell me than it's time to have a rest. So, the TV will come back to the shade of the draw for some time. But not tomorrow, there's a colony of white storks over pines and last year was difficult to determine a readable ring with the zoom.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back