• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EOS 1Ds image quality (1 Viewer)

nigelblake

don't re member
Further to the review I have added to the reviews section here are two images, the first is the full frame and the second is a 1-1 crop of that frame showing just the Barn Owls face, I have had to compress them considerably to make them a workable size to show on here.

Canon EOS1Ds + 100-400mm IS lens and Canon EX550 flash

1/200th at f11 with auto flash

in camera sharpening was restricted to fine pattern and standard

Attachments

• barnowl.jpg
    barnowl.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 297
  • barnowlcloseup.jpg
    barnowlcloseup.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 325
Superb detail still has been kept on the Owl's face Nigel even after the big blow up involved to achieve this photo.Excellent.

Geoff Brown said:
Superb detail still has been kept on the Owl's face Nigel even after the big blow up involved to achieve this photo.Excellent.

This image has not been blown up at all, it has not had any post process sharpening either, it is a 1to1 crop of the first image straight from camera, accept for the compression otherwise it would have been 1.84 Mb the full image shot as a large fine jpeg is 5.91 Mb from camera.

Hi Nigel. Are you having any problems keeping the sensor clean? I've managed to accumulate about a ton of crap on the CMOS which I'm struggling to clean off. I recently used specially produced (manufactured in lab conditions using a laminar airflow unit) cleaning pads & highly purified methanol with rather poor success. I have now tracked down a product from the States that may be the answer. It is the width of the sensor & is designed to hold a mounting Pecpad. It is reusable & only the Pecpads are discarded. Again refined methanol is used with it. I have yet to try it but will post my results if you're interested.
Cheers,
Steve

I do have some sensor dust problems, but I use a mini vacuum cleaner that I got from the camera department stores at Pinewood studios, and cans of Kenair, these need the utmost caution to avoid getting the liquid gas on the sensor, but so far I have not had any real problems. I am in the habit of cleaning the sensor after each outing.

Nigel

Nigel,
Now you know how little I have grasped about digital photo work. Still it is a treat to see the efforts of someone who knows what they are doing. Hopefully when this present gloomy overcast weather lifts in Eastern England I can get my 10D out and start trying to emulate your skills on the local reserve. Thanks for advice re keeping sensor clean but up to now I don't think I have any problems regarding this, but I will give camera body a blow out more fequently as a precaution. :bounce:

Last edited:
Hi Nigel, the kit that your using isn’t’ no shoot and go, so what we are seeing is your skill
Thank you for sharing your time and talent.
Regards Glyn

Hi Nigel,

I that a particularly highly powered flash? Your photos are superb and very bright for what looks like a night shot. How do you get the focusing so accurate when its difficult to see?

Aaah!!

Cheers for that Nigel. My brother has one of these lamps. I may be able to give it a go. My cp4500 doesn't use a focus assist lamp and so focussing in the dark is nigh on impossible.

Regards,

Dave

Nigel,

Do you diffuse the light? I am just imagining, that given the situation, that could over power the subject (photography lighting wise). If you do, what do you use to diffuse that? Or do you find for the distance from which you take the shots the natural surroundings are sufficient to diffuse it? Mind you of course, then there is shooting with full moons, no moons, etc. Some "enlightenment" would be appreciated.

I do not use any diffusion on the flash, it measures its own output via the camera during exposure and is therefore extremely accurate. The lamp is focusable and is left defocused, this means it can be slowly(ish) panned across the bird allowing the birds iris' to close, this saves the bird from any ill effects from the flash, and also stops 'red-eye' from affecting the picture.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back