• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Neutral balance with Swaro65HD&701 RC2 (1 Viewer)

jiminlondon99

Fed up with the problem of having to continually lock the fluid head when using the scope and or camera I decided to modify the head. I have wasted so much time and lost photo opportunities aligning and locking the scope on target I was determined to improve things! Having looked at the design I was pleasantly surprised that it only took about 40 minutes to complete, including taking the poor quality (camera shake) pictures. Other users may find the change helpful as it allows the built in spring to balance the scope and 30x eyepiece without any additional friction, so one finally gets the full benefit of the fluid head. Used with the TLS and an SLR a small amount of additional friction adjustment is needed, but the combination can still be moved far easier than the original set up where the high friction setting prevented easy and accurate movement.

1. Remove the sliding head plate Allen screw and small guide plate.
2. Refit guide plate for sawing guide slot and tape sides of the bracket to prevent damage in the vice then hacksaw guideline into the two stop plates.
3. The detachable (Silver) guide will then fall away and you can then file off the forward section of the integral slide stop. That’s basically it, clean off all the swarf and reassemble the head.
4. Reduce the size of the sliding plate locking bracket to allow the head to be locked in the new full forward position & you have equilibrium!

I have another plan to modify the tripod quick release plate to see if I can achieve the same degree of "perfect harmony and balance with the camera"?

Jim

Attachments

• 701RC2 mod 001.jpg
    701RC2 mod 001.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 328
  • 701RC2 mod 002.jpg
    701RC2 mod 002.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 292
  • 701RC2 mod  003.jpg
    701RC2 mod 003.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 299
  • 701RC2 mod  004.jpg
    701RC2 mod 004.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 311
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back