• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with ZEN ED2 20-60x82mm spotting scope (1 Viewer)

ZEN-RAY

Ever since the introduction of 20-60x82mm ZEN ED2 spotting scope, we have gradually built a large customer base on this model. We also received many inquiries whether and when we will release digiscoping kit for this model. The short answer is "Yes". The design is almost done. Now I come here to seek your help so we can help you better. My questions are: (1) what kind of digiscoping cameras do you use and (2)how would you couple the camera to the adapter. For the 2nd question, I am interested in whether you use

A) lens filter thread. If so, what's the diameter?
B) direct F-mount for Nikon or EF- mount for Canon
C) Just universal digiscoping mount so the lens is not attached to the spotting scope EP.

Thanks

Charles

Charles,

I am not the digiscoper that many folks here are but I do dabble in it from time to time. I use a basic point and shoot digital camera...nothing special...and utilize a universal digiscoping adapter.

Charles...I was able to fit my Canon A590IS to the ZEN ED Zoom Eyepiece ,via the 49mm thread under the eyecup assembly..I did construct a basic attachment to screw on the 52mm thread of the canon camera filter adapter,that doubles well as a digiscoping support...I think 52mm thread is pretty universal,plus if needed any step-down ring would do the trick for little $..the problem here could be the Eye relief matching different cameras...in this regard maybe a variable lenght could be useful..something simple like a tube sliding inside other tube with a thumb screw to hold the right position.
3/4 of an inch from the thread in the Zoom eliminates vignetting with the A590IS,but other cameras would need other distances.

Last edited:
Frank and Mayoayo, thanks a lot for sharing your experience. Yes 52mm filter thread is pretty much standard for kit lens that comes with the dLSR these days.

I don't have a Zen Ray ED2 spotter yet, but it is on my list. I would be pairing it with a Canon T3i. I would like to try a direct EF mount. My first experience with a direct mount was last weekend on a Zeiss 85mm spotter using an older 35mm fild SLR camera. Everything felt real solid, better than trhe universal mounts I'm familiar with. If the filter thread was the only one available I would use that too, on a kit sized lense or 50mm prime. I have a universal mount now for my P&S and it is too bulky to haul around (the box is almost as big as a big 80mm spotter). I would prefer a direct EF mount but I would also buy a filter thread mount if that was all that was available. I would also like to see an adjustable rail mount for the spotter, to balance it better with the heavier cameras. If you do make a limited run of the EF mounts, I would probably buy one.

I can't find a way to edit my previos post, but...

I would like to see an adapter similar to the Swarovski TLS 800 or the Zeiss 1000mm that would work with the Zen ED2 spotter, for less money than the Swaro or Zeiss. If you do make just one for a trial, I would like to buy it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back