• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bull. BOC 130(4) (1 Viewer)

GMK

Bull. BOC 130(4) should be mailed in c.2 weeks or less, so I am posting the contents (attached to this message). As usual, there is plenty to interest taxonomy and nomenclature "geeks".

Attachments

• boc_cover_outside_101117_corr.pdf
    169 KB · Views: 352
If you're interested in subscribing to the Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club, then please visit the BOC website for details on how to join and subscribe. Individual print issues of the Bulletin can also be purchased via the website.

Steve Dudley
BOC

Papuan Birder has just sent me a message about the Beehler article. Should be really interesting and finally publish some official results of the Foja expeditions, but I wonder if it would carry some descriptions of the newly found taxa.

Papuan Birder has just sent me a message about the Beehler article. Should be really interesting and finally publish some official results of the Foja expeditions, but I wonder if it would carry some descriptions of the newly found taxa.

Yes, the Beehler ms contains type descriptions for two new taxa.

Ah, is that what has been delaying the guide? Makes sense.

Do we know if the taxa in the BOC article are species or subspecies?

Beehler & Prawiradilaga 2010.

New taxa and new records of birds from the north coastal ranges of New Guinea. Bull BOC 130(4): 277-285.

• Mountain Mouse-warbler Crateroscelis robusta diamondi (Foja Mountains, Papua, Indonesia).

[Also suggests future consideration for elevation to species status of the 'buff-breasted group' (sanfordi, bastille), and possibly also the 'pale-washed group' (deficiens, peninsularis).]

• Goldenface Pachycare flavogriseum lecroyae (Bewani & Torricelli Mountains, PNG).
Richard

Bretagnolle & Shirihai 2010

A new taxon of Collared Petrel Pterodroma brevipes from the Banks Islands, Vanuatu. Bull BOC 130(4): 286-301.

• P b magnificens.
Richard

• Mountain Mouse-warbler Crateroscelis robusta diamondi (Foja Mountains, Papua, Indonesia).

[Also suggests future consideration for elevation to species status of the 'buff-breasted group' (sanfordi, bastille), and possibly also the 'pale-washed group' (deficiens, peninsularis).]
So in which group would diamondi fall? The pale-washed one?

Last edited:
No, in the white-throated group (robusta) along with pratti and the undescribed Kumawa Mountains form.

... and the birds seen around Tari seem to be robusta and not sanfordi (in case you wonder).
I did wonder! I heard them there... only saw it at Kumul Lodge (Enga). I know what you're thinking: get a subscription!

Magnificent Petrel

Bretagnolle & Shirihai 2010. A new taxon of Collared Petrel Pterodroma brevipes from the Banks Islands, Vanuatu. Bull BOC 130(4): 286-301.

• P b magnificens.
Also reported in BW:

• Shirihai & Bretagnolle 2011. A new gadfly from the southwest Pacific – the Magnificent Petrel. Birding World 24(1): 25.
Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back