• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange rail of Indonesia (1 Viewer)

PP Evrard

Hello,
I take this picture some weeks ago (the 21th august 2010) on the small island of Pantar, Lesser Sundas (near Alor, north of Timor, Indonesia).
I saw this Rail twice in the same place, leaving a grassy area close to the sea for food at the morning.
Buff-banded Rail (Gallinula philippensis) seems the only possible species but the legs are yellow, the beak is thick,short and also yellow. In addition, chesnut is not visible on the flight feathers; the facial pattern is almost nonexistent; the black bars are not very marked on the sides; the iris is white etc.
Finally, it's hard for me to admit that it can be the Buff-banded Rail but I really do not see how it could be another species.
Thank you in advance for any advice on this Rail.
Pierre-Paul Evrard

Attachments

• P1060514 c bis.jpg
    P1060514 c bis.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 210
Surely the massive bill and copious barring would be wrong for Red-backed James.

Pete

To be honest Pete, I've never had a good view of Red-backed as I've only been in contact with them twice in Indonesia. What strikes me is the pale underparts, particularly flanks and belly - also mantle isn't particularly well barred, hint of rufous on the nape and also wholly yellow bill...

James

To be honest Pete, I've never had a good view of Red-backed......
James

I think that in itself is good a clue to this one. Barred often expose themselves so to speak, whilst Red-backed tend to lurk in long grass and only show on the end of a size 10!

Cheers

Pete B :)

the barred buttonquail subspecies of the Greater Sundas is quite different in appearance to those of the Lesser Sundas, hence the pictures in the Borneo Sumatra Java guide looking totally unlike the one in your photo (also the drawings in that guide aren't always the best for ID...)

I think that in itself is good a clue to this one. Barred often expose themselves so to speak, whilst Red-backed tend to lurk in long grass and only show on the end of a size 10!

Cheers

Pete B :)

Interesting, cheers for that! Always something I'm well aware of being confined to Asia - not being so familiar with the species that are predominately extralimital.
On my last Lesser Sundas tour I managed 3 embarrassing ticks - all of which were not new for any one else, at least they were easy enough to id - imm Swamp Harrier, Grey Teal, and dare I say, Australian Pelican!! :eek!:

cheers,

James

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back