• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Mangrove Vireo? (1 Viewer)

By range and time of year, it is probably Mangrove Vireo but Im not 100% sure that it is not White-eyed Vireo because the yellow lores and coloration around the eyes looks more like White-eyed Vireo to me (orange-yellow as opposed to the paler lemon yellow show by Mangrove).

The pale eye also suggests White-eyed Vireo BUT Mangrove Vireos can rarely show a pale colored eye so this character alone is not diagnostic.

In all likelihood, its probably Mangrove Vireo but I wouldnt call it that for sure.

By range and time of year, it is probably Mangrove Vireo but Im not 100% sure that it is not White-eyed Vireo because the yellow lores and coloration around the eyes looks more like White-eyed Vireo to me (orange-yellow as opposed to the paler lemon yellow show by Mangrove).

The pale eye also suggests White-eyed Vireo BUT Mangrove Vireos can rarely show a pale colored eye so this character alone is not diagnostic.

In all likelihood, its probably Mangrove Vireo but I wouldnt call it that for sure.

It's not a White-eyed Vireo: they have wingbars and a shorter, straighter bill. Don't know anything about Mangrove Vireos, so I can't help there.

Best,
Jim

This looks like a worn individual to me, so it might have had wing bars a few month ago ;)

The single image of mangrove vireo in our gallery is a drab, greyish individual, so this could possibly have been a different extreme?

Niels

Mangrove Vireos also have wing bars and overall are fairly similar to White eyed Vireos. As Niels mentions, the wing bars on this individual arent visible because of heavy wear. Must be a Mangrove Vireo though with a lot of color on the face (maybe because its worn?). Mangrove Vireos on the Pacific slope are grayish while birds from the Yucatan are often more yellowish like this individual.

Mangrove Vireos also have wing bars and overall are fairly similar to White eyed Vireos. As Niels mentions, the wing bars on this individual arent visible because of heavy wear. Must be a Mangrove Vireo though with a lot of color on the face (maybe because its worn?). Mangrove Vireos on the Pacific slope are grayish while birds from the Yucatan are often more yellowish like this individual.

Thanks then I think than it is a mangrove Vireo,because I took the picture
near a road along a mangrove in lowland.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back