• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carpet Beetle sp? Cyprus (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Cyprus today.

Anthrenus verbasci is a species I see in the UK, is this the same species?

Attachments

• 1714891675953.jpg
    1714891675953.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 9
With the caveat that I know little about coleoptera I'm sure its an Anthrenus species but I think you will need to get a more detailed image of the antennae to work out which one.
The antenna of verbasci has 11 segments with a club of 3 segments (image attached) while other species have differing numbers of segments and structure e.g. fuscus (which I found on the same flower head as verbasci) has only 5 segments with one as an extremely long club (image also attached) . I found it very difficult to get a good photograph of such small details.
That said the patterning looks like the verbasci I have seen but hopefully there is a beetle expert here.

I found the following list of Cyprus species - I don't know how accurate it is and I've only seen images of flavipes and verbasci

Anthrenus delicatus
Anthrenus festivus
Anthrenus flavipes
Anthrenus molitor
Anthrenus munroi
Anthrenus museorum
Anthrenus sordidulus
Anthrenus verbasci

Attachments

• Anthrenus verbasci.jpg
    Anthrenus verbasci.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Anthrenus fuscus.jpg
    Anthrenus fuscus.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 2
It doesn't not look like verbasci, and in my experience verbasci tends to be relatively distinct. I think it's in its own subgenus? Anyway, these can all be ruled out by me except sordidulus which I'm unfamiliar with. A. molitor I don't know but it is apparently a uniform plain species.

A. flavipes is the most similar one globally. But the white scale arrangement doesn't seem to fit well, so verbasci looks nominally likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back