• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The OG Leather Wrapped Bausch & Lomb Elite (1 Viewer)

greekgeek

United States
I wanted to share a few pictures of my 8x42 B&L Elite. I picked it up recently and I have to say, I truly enjoy the views it provides and the look of it. The proportions seem spot on.

I feel very immersed in the image when looking through this pair. I am now always reaching for it over other (limited...) options. It provides great clarity with high resolution for even the finest of details. I am blown away by how it can maintain a very sharp focus in one plane, while at the same time keeping an only slightly less precise focus over a significantly large depth of field.

It's like everything is in focus, all at once, (of course it's not really true, but immersive) with only tiny twists of the focus knob to get to an incredible detailed view of a given plane.

The center holds the best view and towards the edges there is quite a drop off but you have to go looking for it. The clear central real estate is large enough to satisfy, not sure on percentage maybe 75-80.

Compared to a modern Nikon Monarch M5 8x42 there is a hint of a 3-D feel to the image these provide, but not so much as some porros like the old Legacy 7x35 wide angles.

The M5 has a narrower field of view but it is brighter, higher contrast, the colors warmer and appear higher chroma. Great views but where it falls apart compared to this 36 years old B&L Elite is on the feeling of immersion (shallower depth of field) and the sharpness of resolving to see the finest of details.

This last part surprised me, because I assumed the phase coated M5s would have a higher resolution image. They do not, and so I am left wondering what this B&L's are missing due to their lack of phase coating. Maybe it's the color or contrast that benefits? Because the detailed resolution is so remarkable, I am looking forward to see something much better. I have a Conquest HD on order and am looking for a Monarch HG. Should be a fun comparison.

Anyhow just wanted to share this one and also say thanks to those who have posted here on the forum about the old B&L Elites. It helped me to learn something about them and helped prompt me to secure this pair.

1000019738.jpg1000020010.jpg1000019752.jpg1000020011.jpg1000019744.jpg1000019755.jpg

For those interested in more information on and images of the Bausch & Lomb Elites
(and the Browning 7x35 - a rebadged B&L 7x35), see: Early Elite's

John
I am somewhat skeptical of the Browning being merely a rebadge, I suspect there could be more to it. I compared a Browning 7x35 side by side to my 8x42 and the Browning had exactly none of the optical attributes I described above. The lenses had a different coating (single?) and the internals (blacking/baffles) were completely different.

The carcass on the other hand down to the diopter was a dead ringer so, they likely did emerge from the same factory. The Browning I had also struck me as something of an earlier version based on both the coatings and the design of the paperwork that came with it. Different generations and maybe a later Browning matched the Elites? (B&L a Browning rebadge? Hmmm....)

Adding to my uncertainty here is the fact that the Brownings were dropped and either damaged from the drop or subsequent repair. But at a minimum the optical coatings were very different.

Last edited:
Here are some comparative pictures for reference. Unfortunately, the B&L Elite looks were only skin deep for this particular Browning. Perhaps others out in the world are a closer match.

1000019739.jpgPXL_20240422_193541007.jpg1000019741.jpg
1000019754.jpg1000020189.jpg
1000019743.jpg
1000019768.jpg1000019771.jpg
1000019767.jpg1000019773.jpg

Attachments

• 1000019768.jpg
    1000019768.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 2
Here is the original case, strap, and rainguard. The case is a single zippered bag constructed of foam padded leather. The leather is very nice and supple, but the foam has more or less disintegrated over the years.1000020786.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back