• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuegian Snipe: Chile, March 2025 (1 Viewer)

Mike Hunter

A few of us are trying to get together to see Fuegian Snipe ahead of the Atlantic Odyssey in 2025 (AO starts 23 March so this would be in the week before).

Following discussions with the boat operator, we have the following:
  • Charter tour 4 days / 3 nights
  • Date: March 2025
  • Maximum 10 passengers
  • Rate: USD 20.800
  • The rate includes: Terrestrial transport, navigation, camp on Carlos III island, food, guide, bed-linen, towels.
They also recommend including contingency (a day or two either side) to allow for any adverse weather.

Isla Carlos III is SW of Punta Arenas and is arguably the most accessible island where it's possible to see the still largely mythical Fuegian Snipe

If anyone is interested, or wants more details, do please get in touch.

Best regards

Mike Hunter
UK-based birder

Last edited:
This is probably the bird I most want to see in the world, I'd love to join you but I'll be working - if circumstances change I'll be in touch for sure!

Yeah it's a bit of an eye watering price. I had previously inquired and they (Whalesound folks) offered to have me join a standard trip of theirs (at about 500USD/day) but I passed. I've also tried to be in touch with a couple of the people individually involved but they've been seemingly quite uninterested in sharing any information / thoughts or even chatting. As a result I just kind of punted and figured I would wait until another site was found or explore and find one on my own - there are hikeable / backpacker reachable areas for the intrepid where the bird should be findable. There is actually another site that appears to perhaps be reliable near Caleta Yungay called Parque La Tapera. Logistics for getting there are more complex but not impossible.

Yeah it's a bit of an eye watering price. I had previously inquired and they (Whalesound folks) offered to have me join a standard trip of theirs (at about 500USD/day) but I passed. I've also tried to be in touch with a couple of the people individually involved but they've been seemingly quite uninterested in sharing any information / thoughts or even chatting. As a result I just kind of punted and figured I would wait until another site was found or explore and find one on my own - there are hikeable / backpacker reachable areas for the intrepid where the bird should be findable. There is actually another site that appears to perhaps be reliable near Caleta Yungay called Parque La Tapera. Logistics for getting there are more complex but not impossible.
Hi Josh

Thanks. We looked at this area, and Isla Hornis for that matter. Isla Hornis is arguably the best site as it has a boardwalk for easy access, but you need to secure permissions well in advance, and it's weather dependent. Parque La Tapera seemed risky as some have only heard birds there, and as you say logistics are more complex. At least on Isla Carlos III you can walk around at least a bit and hope to find own, and logistics are straightforward. Do you know how you can get to Parque La Tapera and I'll look at this further?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

I was on Carlos 3 in late November 2023 with four Chilean bird photographers. The trip was led and organised by Sebastian Saiter. Each of the five clients had to pay 1.500 UDS (for five days). Not cheap but well worth! The trip could only take place because we were accompanied by five glaciologists, with whom we shared the transportation costs. However, the camp on Carlos is fantastic (not only the snipe but also beer and/or wine is included in the price;-), the crew is nice and relaxed, and the setting is simply spectacular - highly recommended! Sebastian knows Fuegian Snipe and its habits well.

If you wish to see the monster snipe in display flight you perhaps should have a thermal imaging camera (they fly around only when it is almost dark, according to Sebastian). We have neither seen nor heard a bird near the camp during a couple of dusk/dawn sessions (may be a bit late in season?). It needs some luck to find a snipe in daylight, of course. After only a few hours of thorough searching I flushed a bird that was just two to three metres away, resting under a tiny bush (a flat and wet terrain near a small lake; see e-Bird). Later we all watched the super model for some two hours (at least ten million photos have been taken…). A great experience and one of my best wader observations ever!

In my opinion Carlos 3 is “easily” accessible, less weather-dependent and probably even “cheaper” than the other few known places. A group of keen birders would most probably find a big guy in daylight on Carlos, I’m sure.

Don’t forget to bring rubber boots and gloves…

Good luck - Tom

Hi Mike,

I was on Carlos 3 in late November 2023 with four Chilean bird photographers. The trip was led and organised by Sebastian Saiter. Each of the five clients had to pay 1.500 UDS (for five days). Not cheap but well worth! The trip could only take place because we were accompanied by five glaciologists, with whom we shared the transportation costs. However, the camp on Carlos is fantastic (not only the snipe but also beer and/or wine is included in the price;-), the crew is nice and relaxed, and the setting is simply spectacular - highly recommended! Sebastian knows Fuegian Snipe and its habits well.

If you wish to see the monster snipe in display flight you perhaps should have a thermal imaging camera (they fly around only when it is almost dark, according to Sebastian). We have neither seen nor heard a bird near the camp during a couple of dusk/dawn sessions (may be a bit late in season?). It needs some luck to find a snipe in daylight, of course. After only a few hours of thorough searching I flushed a bird that was just two to three metres away, resting under a tiny bush (a flat and wet terrain near a small lake; see e-Bird). Later we all watched the super model for some two hours (at least ten million photos have been taken…). A great experience and one of my best wader observations ever!

In my opinion Carlos 3 is “easily” accessible, less weather-dependent and probably even “cheaper” than the other few known places. A group of keen birders would most probably find a big guy in daylight on Carlos, I’m sure.

Don’t forget to bring rubber boots and gloves…

Good luck - Tom
Thanks Tom

Incredibly helpful - such a great account of your trip. Your words may well inspire a few to join!

Coincidentally I was going to contact Albatross Birding and seek their views and I'll accelerate that approach!

Thanks again

Mike

Thanks. We looked at this area, and Isla Hornis for that matter. Isla Hornis is arguably the best site as it has a boardwalk for easy access, but you need to secure permissions well in advance, and it's weather dependent. Parque La Tapera seemed risky as some have only heard birds there, and as you say logistics are more complex. At least on Isla Carlos III you can walk around at least a bit and hope to find own, and logistics are straightforward. Do you know how you can get to Parque La Tapera and I'll look at this further?

I assume you’re talking about Cabo de Hornos / Isla Hornos? I only know one person who’s been, but could be that others have gone more recently. Being so far south on the edge of the Drake Passage, seas will be a lot worse and yeah landing much more weather dependent.

For La Tapera, you more or less are going to have to fly and I think the only commercially operated flight would be to Balmaceda (could have changed or for a group a charter could be an option). Then you need transport to Caleta Yungay, then boat transport which presumably the folks from La Tapera would provide.

I assume you’re talking about Cabo de Hornos / Isla Hornos? I only know one person who’s been, but could be that others have gone more recently. Being so far south on the edge of the Drake Passage, seas will be a lot worse and yeah landing much more weather dependent.

For La Tapera, you more or less are going to have to fly and I think the only commercially operated flight would be to Balmaceda (could have changed or for a group a charter could be an option). Then you need transport to Caleta Yungay, then boat transport which presumably the folks from La Tapera would provide.
Thanks Josh - Sounds as complicated as I thought it was. Logistically Carlos III is easily the easiest, but also the most expensive. Some birds just don't come cheap.

Thanks again

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back