• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zurich in February (Switzerland) (1 Viewer)

dvc214

Bald Human
I'm going to Zuirch in February in a business trip, and if I get the time I'd like to go out with my bins. Does anyone have any advice on where to go and what to see?

Hi dvc214

Depends on how much time you have. Some birds can be seen in Zürich itself, most notably at the lake. Best part is if you walk from the Bellevue-bridge (the first bridge after the lake) up the lakeshore (Zürichhorn). You can see several ducks including Red-crested Pochards and sometimes Red-necked Grebe or even a Red-throated Diver. Check the big gulls for Pontic Gulls among the common Yellow-legged Gulls.
If you have more time, you could try the Klingnauer Stausee, east of Zürich. You can reach this place by train (over Baden to Döttingen) or by car. You will find all ducks, including Pintails and Shovelers. At the lower end of the artifical lake there are some very nice patches of riverine forest, holding a good woodpecker variety, including Grey-headed, Green, Greater Spotted, Middle Spotted and Lesser Spotted. Check the Birding Location Directory for more info. You will need at least half a day to cover the area.
In the forests around Zürich Black Woodpeckers are quite common. You could try the Uetliberg for that or any other of the forests around the town.

To check if there is something rare during your visit go to chclub300. Last year there was a Ring-necked Duck, just in Zürich at the lake.

Good luck
André

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back