• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen 7x36ed2 -vs- Vortex Viper 6x32 (1 Viewer)

drukja

Hello:
My first post here and I would like to thank everyone for the amazing amount of excellent information that you have all contributed. I have spent many enjoyable hours reading the comments, reviews, opinions, etc (mostly about binoculars)... and have enjoyed the (over my head) technical reports, 'seat of the pants' impressions and the great sense of humor and friendly atmosphere here on this site.
My uses for bins:
I do a bit of birding, lots of mountain hiking, occasional hunting, and general interest observation.
I like lighter weight and lower power bins: 20oz and
below, 6 to 7 power.
At the moment I have a 1972 vintage pair of Pentax 8x30 that still have quite a nice clear view... and a pair of 7x20 Travelites that I really like... except not waterproof and have gotten foggy in the past. I tried the Raptor 6.5x32 and was not comfortable with the view. Rather tunnel like and although brighter than my Pentax, not any sharper image.
I have convinced myself that I need a fine new set of bins and narrowed it down to either the Vortex Viper 6x32 or the Zen 7x36. I have read reports on both of these but would love to hear a few direct comparisons. A friend has the Zens and they are excellent. For me a bit larger and a little heavier than I want to haul around all day,, and I notice the hazy veil a little... nothing that would keep me from buying them if no one can convince me that the Vipers (which I have not seen) would be substantially lighter and equal or better optically ,, etc than the Zens.
Anyway, any opinions on the two?
I was also wondering if there is any word that Zen may fix the veiling issue in future 7x36 production.
Thanks and sorry for the long winded post.

There may well be nobody who has made the comparison. I have looked at the 8x32 Viper, have a 10x42 Viper, and have owned 8x42 Vipers. The x42 Vipers are not as good as the x43 ZEN. But the 8x32 Viper seemed better than the 8x42 Viper, so it's a guess which might be better.

I have the 6x32 Viper on my list of stuff I'd like to try, but it will be some time before I arrange to do it. Too much other stuff in the works right now.

I do sort of wish the little Viper was 7x. I have come to prefer that magnification, because the 7x image does appear to be enough bigger than the 6x to see a difference. The 7x36 ZEN is going to become my first choice as a go to binocular, and I have just about all fo the 6-7x smaller binoculars, save the 6x Viper, 6x Katmai, and 6x Ranger.

Last edited:
Sorry as I cannot help you either. The 6x32 Viper is one of the ones that slipped under my radar. Lots of new models on the market within the last year and it is difficult to get all of them to review.

I would not mind doing a comparison of them though.

An also (perhaps more) interesting question is how Vortex Viper 6x32 performs compared to Leupold 6x32 Katmai. I have not seen any comparison.

Regards, Patric

An also (perhaps more) interesting question is how Vortex Viper 6x32 performs compared to Leupold 6x32 Katmai. I have not seen any comparison.

Regards, Patric

I had a 6x32. I believe it was a Platinum Eagle Ranger and I decided that it was too little magnification. I think 7X is about as low as I want to go. I believe the Viper 6x32 would be superior to the Katmai 6x32 because I had a Katmai and I thought it had seriously poor contrast. About like a Nikon Monarch. The Zen Ed 7x 36 would have the advantage of the ED lenses and no CA. Big advantage in my opinion. The Vortex are very nice binoculars though because Eagle Optics has put together a very nice package with the case, lens covers and strap. I personally just wouldn't buy a 6X.

Dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back