• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 6x15 Teletur and AFSA opera glass. (2 Viewers)

Binastro

It was asked on the thread Zeiss 6x30 IF whether a small 3x prismatic binocular was better than a 3x opera glass.

I don't have a small 3x prismatic binocular, although I do have 3.5x, 4x, 4.4x and 5x larger modern prismatic binoculars.
These larger binoculars are too large to consider here.

The 6x15 Teletur has a field of about 8 degrees.

The well-made French AFSA 2.2x-3x26 opera glass is about the same size as the Teletur but lighter.
The AFSA is made of aluminium or a similar alloy. I think the Teletur is brass.

The AFSA focuses, which is why the magnification for me varies from 2.2x to 3x.
Because the opera glass is so short the focus range is large compared to the rest length of the opera glass.

There is no dioptre correction, but I unscrewed one front tube and wrapped a long rubber band around the open joint.
When unscrewing the front tube collimation may be lost as the tube wiggles, but the tight rubber band restores alignment.
This gave me my dioptre correction.

There is no hinge, just a fixed curved bridge.

The field of the AFSA is about 8 degrees and if glasses are worn only about 5 degrees.

This is the problem with Galilean optics. Tiny fields.

But the image is bright.

I suppose the transmission of the Teletur when new was about 60%, the AFSA 80%.
Both may be 1920s, although I am not sure.

In poor light the AFSA has a much brighter image than the Teletur.

But a 3x15 small prismatic would have a 5mm exit pupil and should be quite bright.
The field might be 15 degrees.

There is an interesting problem with the AFSA.
Because the magnification changes a lot as the separation of objective and eyepiece changes, providing a 1 dioptre correction changes the view by apparently a 2 dioptre correction.
This makes it difficult for the brain to make a good image without strain.

So, a 3x prismatic probably has advantages over a similar size opera glass, at greater complexity and cost.

A modern 2.5x or 3x coated opera glass with about 90% transmission can be very useful for its intended purpose.
Opera or theatre.

Regards,
B.

I just recently bought this -- a "Helios" 6x18 reverse porro. My first thought when looking through it was "WOW!". I didn't expect much but they are super sharp and the FoV is about as large as in my 11.5°, 6x25 "miniature bino" and comparable to the Kowa 6.5x32 but with a much better edge correction. Only downside -- no coatings as far as I can tell so rather low brightness but in the day, these are amazing. I managed to drop them however, shortly after I got them. I was able to fix it, luckily. The construction on the inside is rather sophisticated and seems more robust than porros from later periods.
img3lef9u.jpg

img2rdc6w.jpg

img1kxee9.jpg

So I am definitely on the lookout for more like this one. Super small reverse porros. They are not expensive. This one definitely should have come with strap attachments. Clumsy me wouldn't have dropped it.

The 6x18 Helios is a super find and unknown to me.

Helios was the brand in the U.K. by T.O.E.
Technical and Optical Equipment.
They imported Soviet binoculars, scopes and cameras like the Lubitel etc.
My Lubitel was cheap and looked it. It leaked light and T.O.E. fixed it.
But the medium format photos were good once fixed.
These cameras were used for meteor photos by others.

Anyway, Helios is marked on the boxes for the 12x45 Komz etc., although I don't think the binocular is so marked. I'll look.

The 6x18 you have may not be Soviet.
I wonder which firm made it.

Regards,
B.

There is no sign of Helios on the 12x45 Komz binocular.
Although the blue boxes are marked Helios.

Helios lenses were first used on the Soviet Start camera in 1958.

I had one of these cameras.

The Helios 85mm f/1.5 lens was also interesting.

These lenses were based on earlier Zeiss lenses.

I think the Helios logo on the 6x18 looks like the Soviet logo, but some Helios optics were not Soviet.

Nowadays, Helios binoculars are sold by Optical Vision Ltd. in the U.K.
They import and sell the optics through dealers.

B.

It is unclear to me, too as the "Weitwinkel" is written in German. I have no idea how many companies used the name "Helios" for binoculars. But mine bears no markings of the origin, no "Made in Germany" or any other trademark. It has some pincushion distortion so my guess is that it was made (shortly?) after WWII. There are similar looking binos on German ebay but those also miss any "Made in ..."-markings.
I found two other listings for old "Helios" optics. One was an antique Galilean binocular and there are rifle scopes with the name "Helios" but I am not sure whether that is a model name or a brand name. Those are older than the modern brand "Helios", and I have no idea if there is any relation to the Russian brand.
Here is a pic I took (of the first snow this year) -- I think you can see how little field curvature they have -- much less than for example the Kowa BDII 6.5x32.
img0crfdk.jpg

I recall finding the Helios logo at an early date, but I can't remember who first used the 3 element design.

Weitwinkel is found on many binoculars, which may not be made in Germany.

The image looks very good.

A very nice binocular.

Regards,
B.

So being uncoated, when would this have been made, 1950s? Fascinating and very cute. This must have a significantly wider field than the 6x Nikon Mikron, for example. I do wonder why such models aren't still available. Many people don't need 8-10x for general use.

My guess would be 50's as well. I have only one other uncoated bino which is an old Hensoldt 6x24. The Hensoldt also has no pincushion distortion so I think it might be pre WWII. But I'm not sure at which point in time pincushion distortion was universally implemented. So the Hensoldt might also be from the 50's.

In the 1950's coatings were already applied. The binocular could be made before 1940.
Gijs van Ginkel
Cool, thanks for the info :). I was not sure because of the pincushion distortion which I thought became more prevalent later. But you know much more about binoculars than I do. I should probably do some comparison to my Hensoldt "Großfeld". There is another one like the 6x18 from "Rodenstock" on German ebay. I'm severely tempted to get that one, too.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back