• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Woodpecker, Nottingham Road area (1 Viewer)

Mountain Hare

This was the 100th bird that I saw on my trip in October. Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to get the photo of the parent passing the caterpillar to this youngster. I was thinking it's a Bearded Woodpecker, but I'm not sure.

Attachments

• Woodpecker youngster.jpg
    Woodpecker youngster.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 56
I think that's actually some kind of cuckoo (note e.g. the bill shape. Diederik Cuckoo Chrysococcyx caprius seems like the best match), but you'd probably get a better answer in the ID section of the forum.

Last edited:
Oh thank you, you're probably right about a type of cuckoo. I'd not even considered it might not be a woodpecker. I also hadn't realised there was a ID section! Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back