• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpeckers in Northern Switzerland (1 Viewer)

nowhereblue

Hi there

My girlfriend and I have been trying to find woodpeckers in and around Zurich (Middle Spotted, Black and Grey Headed) but not had much luck. We've tried the woods around Horgen, Richterswil and Oetliberg (though we didn't yet try Hoenggerberg).

I posted before about Black Woodpeckers and got some good responses (thanks again Andre!) but we thought we might try a bit further afield as we noted that NiderHolz is meant to be good for all 3 species of woodpecker. Does anyone have any experience of seeing these birds in Niderholz or any other locations that are good for all 3 woodpeckers?

Many thanks!

Michael

Hi there

My girlfriend and I have been trying to find woodpeckers in and around Zurich (Middle Spotted, Black and Grey Headed) but not had much luck. We've tried the woods around Horgen, Richterswil and Oetliberg (though we didn't yet try Hoenggerberg).

I posted before about Black Woodpeckers and got some good responses (thanks again Andre!) but we thought we might try a bit further afield as we noted that NiderHolz is meant to be good for all 3 species of woodpecker. Does anyone have any experience of seeing these birds in Niderholz or any other locations that are good for all 3 woodpeckers?

Many thanks!

Michael

Hi Michael

The Niderholz is an excellent woodpecker spot. I live in central Switzerland near Lucerne and so have only been there twice. I am sure someone who lives locally could give you better advice.

Anyhow in March last year we saw 3 Middle-spotted, 2 Black and 1 Great-spotted there plus many more drumming and calling birds. Also had a very brief flight view of probable Lesser-spotted.

This March saw 3 Middle-spotted and 6 Great-spotted and again calling and drumming birds everywhere we walked.

Grey-headed eluded me but are apparently present. I probably need to be more clued up on calls.

The area is accessible by public transport under www.sbb.ch but we drove there. We didn't follow any particular route detailed online or in Where to watch birds in Switzerland. There is a parking spot a little south of Ellikon am Rhein before you reach the River Thur. It's not more than 500m from Ellikon from memory. From there it's just a case of walking into the forest. It's a popular walking, cycling, horse-riding and jogging area so an early morning visit would probably be best although I was there around mid morning on Sundays on both visits and the birds didn't seem particularly bothered. It's a huge forest.

May might be a little late in the year because the leaves are on the trees but you should see something and in any case it's a nice spot for a walk.

Best of luck,
Tom.

OK, it's not Northern Switzerland, but had great views of a Black Woodpecker in Les Marécottes last week. It was amazingly confiding, slowly moving up a tree no more than 5m away having clearly seen me as soon as it landed. Was also surprised how big they are!

Lots of marsh tit in the meadows too, and several black redstart in the village.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back