• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winter East Anglia 'Big Bird Day' (1 Viewer)

T0ny

Okillre Member
I was invited to go on a 'Big Bird Day' by the organiser of the Norfolk & Suffolk Birding website. All the other participants live south of Great Yarmouth - I don't. I was picked up by a baffled birder who had been told that Paston was a suburb of Norwich (it isn't). We met the others in Lowestoft some thirty minutes late, blaming the swing-bridge for the delay. From then on, birding was non-stop, with a brief break for chips in the car (not a word to Bessie).
I ache - but what a great day I've had. Started off listening to Tawny Owl in pitch darkness, ended watching Cranes in low evening sunlight.

Species List :

Red-throated Diver
Little Grebe
Great Crested Grebe
Cormorant
Shag
Pinkfooted Goose
Shelduck
Wigeon
Teal
Pintail
Shoveler
Pochard
Tufted Duck
Red-breasted Merganser
Marsh Harrier
Hen Harrier
Sparrowhawk
Kestrel
Crane
Avocet
Golden Plover
Lapwing
Knot
Snipe
Black-tailed Godwit
Bar-tailed Godwit
Redshank
Spotted Redshank
Common Sandpiper
Turnstone
Mediterranean Gull
Little Gull
Common Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Herring Gull
Black-headed Gull
Little Auk
Stock Dove
Kingfisher
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Rock Pipit
Coal Tit
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Linnet
Bullfinch

We covered several sites in Norfolk & Suffolk, including Lake Lothing, Breydon Water and Broadland.

Tony

PS I just spell-checked this, and it suggested replacing 'Yarmouth' with 'Vermouth'. What a damned good idea !
B :) ;)

Last edited:
All of the other three, of course, Steve.

Tony

(Or should that be 'Each of the other three' ?
Anyway, everyone else.

Last edited:
I can add Ad Winter Yellow legged Gull to the list.
Also Merlin but there are birds we cannot count as we all did not see or hear it at the same time.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back