• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why spend more? $350 Orion 8x42 roof Savannah (1 Viewer)

Rich N

A couple of years ago I bought an Orion Savanna 8x42 roof prism binocular. It cost about $350 USD. The image quality isn't hugely different from my Leica 8x42BN or new Zeiss 10x42 FL. Yes, I can see a difference, but not so much that I would really miss a significant amount of detail on a bird. I could take them on a briding field hike and enjoy the view.

The Leica 8x42BN and Zeiss 10x42 FL give more of a feeling of looking out a large window. The image is brighter and certainly the Zeiss 10x42 FL has better resolution and contrast but the extra magnification makes the comparison a little more difficult. However, the image in the Savannah isn't bad. I don't think you would miss identify a bird using the Savannah that you would have gotten using the Leica BN.

The apparent field of view is smaller in the less expensive Savannah compared to my Leica but it isn't as bad as looking down a long narrow pipe either.

I guess the Savannah is much like some of the other "store brand" medium priced roofs.

I wouldn't be surprised if my Leica BN would take more of a beating and keep working than the Savannah. OTOH, I'm pretty careful with all my binoculars.

There is more CA with the Savannah but still not so bad that I hate to look through it. It really does make me think I'm a little nuts for buying the high end binoculars. :bounce:

Rich

Last edited:
Lower Cost Binos

Rich N said:
A couple of years ago I bought an Orion Savanna 8x42 roof prism binocular. It cost about $350 USD. The image quality isn't hugely different from my Leica 8x42BN or new Zeiss 10x42 FL. Yes, I can see a difference, but not so much that I would really miss a significant amount of detail on a bird. I could take them on a briding field hike and enjoy the view.

The Leica 8x42BN and Zeiss 10x42 FL give more of a feeling of looking out a large window. The image is brighter and certainly the Zeiss 10x42 FL has better resolution and contrast but the extra magnification makes the comparison a little more difficult. However, the image in the Savannah isn't bad. I don't think you would miss identify a bird using the Savannah that you would have gotten using the Leica BN.

The apparent field of view is smaller in the less expensive Savannah compared to my Leica but it isn't as bad as looking down a long narrow pipe either.

I guess the Savannah is much like some of the other "store brand" medium priced roofs.

I wouldn't be surprised if my Leica BN would take more of a beating and keep working than the Savannah. OTOH, I'm pretty careful with all my binoculars.

There is more CA with the Savannah but still not so bad that I hate to look through it. It really does make me think I'm a little nuts for buying the high end binoculars. :bounce:

Rich

Hello Rich,
You are not nuts. Several years ago, before I got to indulging myself on the high end optics, I also purchased 8x42 Savanah's. Still have them and I agree with all your comments. If all my high end optics were to dissapear overnight and I was forced to use them, I would not suffer. My wife loves them and uses them whenever we travel.
Len

Len Glasser said:
Hello Rich,
You are not nuts. Several years ago, before I got to indulging myself on the high end optics, I also purchased 8x42 Savanah's. Still have them and I agree with all your comments. If all my high end optics were to dissapear overnight and I was forced to use them, I would not suffer. My wife loves them and uses them whenever we travel.
Len

Thanks, Len!

Rich

This evening I was comparing my Orion Savannah 8x42 and Leica 8x42BN, it was amazing how close they were in image quality.

I'm going to take my Savannah (phase coated) to the local Orion
store and and compare it to the new Orion Savannah II. The new Savannah IIs are also phase coated.

Rich

The Savannah roofs look alot like the Celestron Regal/Noble, Eagle Optics Rangers and Alpen Apex. They are all priced similarly, except the Nobles which run about $100 less, presumably because they aren't phase coated. I have been told by Celestron that the latest Noble 8x42s are PC.

There are reports about the 8x42 models of all of the above having close to top of the line bin sharpness.

Orion, however, appears to offer only a 2 year limited warranty. Alpen has a limited lifetime warranty. Eagle Optics and Celestron have lifetime no-fault warranties.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back