• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who knows the Figworts? (1 Viewer)

kolibri2

These are growing on the banks of the Rhine River in Düsseldorf, Germany. My wife has a programme on her mobile telephone for identifying wild plants: Flora incognita. Sometimes it takes a wrong turning but generally it can be useful, especially for a beginner. This programme stated that this plant is Schrophularia californica. I've had absolutely no experience with S. californica. Does anybody know the plant, please? Could this be this species? Thanks in advance for the help. The plant certainly has squared-off stems but I wouldn't say it is particularly winged, which would make me think of Water Figwort.

Attachments

• K800_4459 (2).JPG
    K800_4459 (2).JPG
    48 KB · Views: 11
  • K800_DI3A4437.JPG
    K800_DI3A4437.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 11
  • K800_DI3A4460.JPG
    K800_DI3A4460.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 11
  • K800_DI3A4472.JPG
    K800_DI3A4472.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 9
  • K800_DI3A4626.JPG
    K800_DI3A4626.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 9
  • K800_DI3A4627.JPG
    K800_DI3A4627.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 9
  • K800_DI3A4634.JPG
    K800_DI3A4634.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 8
  • K800_DI3A4639.JPG
    K800_DI3A4639.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 8
Looks ok for water figwort, including winged stems and leaflets at base of leaves. Doesn't look terribly like photos that I Google of that American thing (e.g. stems of that species look rounded). Flora Incognita is pretty good in my experience, so I don't know why it should give you an American thing in preference to one that's far more likely - unless you didn't give it the location. Obviously I can't guarantee that there is nothing else in your vicinity that would also look like water figwort. If you're into AI, the other one that's good is iNaturalist.

Looks ok for water figwort, including winged stems and leaflets at base of leaves. Doesn't look terribly like photos that I Google of that American thing (e.g. stems of that species look rounded). Flora Incognita is pretty good in my experience, so I don't know why it should give you an American thing in preference to one that's far more likely - unless you didn't give it the location. Obviously I can't guarantee that there is nothing else in your vicinity that would also look like water figwort. If you're into AI, the other one that's good is iNaturalist.
Many thanks Butty for your help. Most interesting for me is the fact that you are happy that this plant is winged enough for Water Figwort. With the leaflets at the base of the leaves, I was happy with this species with exception of the winged aspect. You know the family far better than I do and if you are content with this then so am I. It certainly was close to water. Great to have your help.

Scrophularia nodosa given the leaves. S. auriculata has a small pair of leaves like ears at the base of the main leaf and are not squared off like yours. Hope that helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back