• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Gyr in Durham (1 Viewer)

black kite 1964

Let us all hope that this bird is relocated over the next few days. It will bring much cheer and clear the bad memories of the last record which was supressed by members of the of the DBC committee. Fortunately times have changed under the new recorder - as shown by the rapid release of news with the eastern crowned warbler.

Happy days.o:D

There had been at least 2 more Gyr Falcons in Durham since the suppressed one.I can remember at the time there was real trouble over the suppression of the Gyr which was seen on the Durham moors.DBC members having rows with certain committee members and not speaking to them for months.

White Gyr

There had been at least 2 more Gyr Falcons in Durham since the suppressed one.I can remember at the time there was real trouble over the suppression of the Gyr which was seen on the Durham moors.DBC members having rows with certain committee members and not speaking to them for months.

I do not think any of these birds have been widely twitchable. Some durham birders includind a well known twitcher from Darlington have still not spoken to the inviduals concerned!!

Yes you are right the birds have'nt been widely twitchable.The last Gyr that was seen in Durham was 2006 which was a white morph bird that struck a house window in a rural part of Startforth,Barnard Castle on the 12th Jan.The bird was stunned and sat on the Patio for 30 mins before flying off.It was never seen again.

l

Yes you are right the birds have'nt been widely twitchable.The last Gyr that was seen in Durham was 2006 which was a white morph bird that struck a house window in a rural part of Startforth,Barnard Castle on the 12th Jan.The bird was stunned and sat on the Patio for 30 mins before flying off.It was never seen again.

Lets hope it sticks around. I understand its a bit snowy and cold in weardale!! Time to dust off the four wheel drive!!

The Falcon which was seen today the birder thought it was either a Gyr or Gyr hybrid.I have seen pics of Saker x Gyr and some of them look very like White morph Gyrs.We have certainly had the right weather for one to turn up.There is a female White morph in Wales at the moment.

A white Gyr was also reported at Newbiggin later the same afternoon. Given the state of the weather on Saturday, it seems unlikely that the two reports relate to the same bird, but it's possible it's already headed north.

Hope not, though!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back