• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-eyed River-Martin (3 Viewers)

nickupton

Whilst I cannot claim to have refound this mysterious species I do have information regarding an unconfirmed sighting in Cambodia which does at least have some credibility. My friend attempted to investigate this claim earlier this year and we intend to return next year. There is more information on my website http://www.thaibirding.com

Hi Nick

sounds exciting...

I was editor of OBC Bulletin when we published Joe's paper on the species. The March / April occurance is intriguing. I will be in touch tomorrow via PM about this possible sighting and the farmers account also...

cheers
Tim

PS that's a cracking website you have!!!

Last edited:
Exciting

Yes, it is exciting. I'm trying not to get too carried away though but do intend to check it out.

There is a lot more to come on the website, thanks.

Over the last few days I have had quite a number of people asking me for the exact location of the White-eyed River-Martin "sighting". Firstly, it is not my information to tell and secondly I don't know anyway. Doug is reluctant to say where it is and I think it is quite understandable why. This species hasn't been confirmed since 1978 and Doug has put in a lot of effort to investigate the sighting so quite understandably would like to be the first to confirm it if indeed that is what it is.

Hope that doesn't sound too miserable or selfish but I think most birders can understand keeping something of this magnitude to oneself for now.

Rediscovery would be great!

But described story is quite strange. Birdwatcher is told that "bird will show in just 40 minutes" and then forced to leave. Sounds suspiciously like pranks made for tourists by some unsculptuous people in Asia.

I would put it this way - like in every case when uncooperatve "human factor" is involved, it is better that other people, preferably knowing local language and moving independently, will revisit the mysterious farm and reedbed. And the story will be clear, and original person would have confirmation of his discovery.

I agree

I agree with the second part of your post, both Doug and I (together) will revisit the area independently with a Khmer speaking guide.

From what Doug has told me I really don't think that it is a prank to get tourists in, in fact it has been quite the opposite - getting in has been difficult. Being whisked away 40 mins before the bird was anticipated seemed to Doug like he was being prevented from observing the anticipated bird, whatever that may have been. There are certainly strange aspects to the story and that is one reason why we shouldn't get too excited about it, until it can be further investigated.

I too have been curious about this. I did a bit of a web and literature search but couldn't find anything more recent than what was previously discussed on this forum. From that, one could only assume that they haven't, in fact, been seen again. Very sad, such an interesting bird and story too.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back