• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-breasted Nuthatch from 2005 (1 Viewer)

What took you so long to post this beautiful image of this beautiful Nuthatch
It’s been a while I know. I posted it to show that you don’t need super duper cameras to take pretty good pictures. In those days the focussing didn’t have eye detection, there wasn’t any IS/VR/IBIS etc, ISO400 was about the maximum usable value. Still it’s possible without the new fangled gizmos. I do believe you still use an antique Nikon don’t you?🤣

Last edited:
Yeah, it’s a bit on the old side but I still love it. I bought it new about 8 years ago but it had come out before that.

Great pic Mike. Old gear works in the right hands.

11 Years ago i took this Heron with an old [ cough Pentax K200D ] and an astro telescope i adapted for a DSLR. No VC , No metering, No AF, and a Fixed aperture F7. You get no luxuries with telescopes as DSLR lenses

Heron Preen.jpg

Great pic Mike. Old gear works in the right hands.

11 Years ago i took this Heron with an old [ cough Pentax K200D ] and an astro telescope i adapted for a DSLR. No VC , No metering, No AF, and a Fixed aperture F7. You get no luxuries with telescopes as DSLR lenses
Yep, I know what you mean. When I look back at some old images on a much higher resolution monitor it’s never ceases to amaze me how well they look. I rarely went above ISO 400 but with todays noise reduction software it cleans them up like magic. 👍

I hear ya. If you have anymore old snaps, post them here dude.
As for software/editing, i cant remeber which prog. i was using back then, but these days it's Adobe CS6 Extended, and a great prog. for cleaning up old snaps.

Here's a juvenile Great Crested Grebe. This was the next model of Pentax to the above Heron K200, a K-7 and 300mm lens with 1.5TC. Same year though, 2011. I had the luxury this time - AF, Metering, Aperture choice. It was still old gear, but no astro telescope anymore 😁

The sun changed the green water ( the green was the result of over hanging trees ) to a rich gold. Hence the strange hue

Juv GCG 2b.jpg

I hear ya. If you have anymore old snaps, post them here dude.
As for software/editing, i cant remeber which prog. i was using back then, but these days it's Adobe CS6 Extended, and a great prog. for cleaning up old snaps.

Here's a juvenile Great Crested Grebe. This was the next model of Pentax to the above Heron K200, a K-7 and 300mm lens with 1.5TC. Same year though, 2011. I had the luxury this time - AF, Metering, Aperture choice. It was still old gear, but no astro telescope anymore 😁

The sun changed the green water ( the green was the result of over hanging trees ) to a rich gold. Hence the strange hue

View attachment 1467936
Very nice, the water is phenomenal. 👍👍👍

Me too. It was the birds in flight i found the hardest with manual focusing. It was good fun trying to make adapters of varying usefulness, but eventually i went the way of AF, metering, and variable aperture.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back