• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whinchats and Wood Warblers in the Lake District. (1 Viewer)

jonbud

United Kingdom
Hi all, I'll be visiting The Lakes a couple of times in May. Can anyone recommend any good sites for whinchat and wood warbler please? Thanks, Jon.

The best spot I have found for Wood Warbler is in the Borrowdale woods. Lodore, Ashness, Bowderstone. They are good for Flycatchers and Redstart as well.

Whilst not in the Lakes RSPB Gletsdale is a great site for Whinchat. They can be found on many of the less well trod uplands throughout the Lakes but there are no "goto" reliable sites I can think of in the Park itself.

The best spot I have found for Wood Warbler is in the Borrowdale woods. Lodore, Ashness, Bowderstone. They are good for Flycatchers and Redstart as well.

Whilst not in the Lakes RSPB Gletsdale is a great site for Whinchat. They can be found on many of the less well trod uplands throughout the Lakes but there are no "goto" reliable sites I can think of in the Park itself.
Thanks very much! I know Lodore and Borrowdale well, just never visited at the right time of year. I've also thought about heading to Geltsdale for the whinchats.

We have a couple of really good 'hotspots' for pied flycatcher and redstart here in Otley. Give me a shout if you're ever over this neck of the woods.

Jon.

Hi Jon, another area worthy of a look is along the footpath that runs along the north shore of Buttermere between the village and Gatesgarth, this area used to hold good numbers of Pied fly and Wood warbler with small numbers of Redstart too. I remember Red squirrel being regular in the grounds of Hassness House, but again this was a while ago, locals may be able to help with more recent gen.

Hi Jon, another area worthy of a look is along the footpath that runs along the north shore of Buttermere between the village and Gatesgarth, this area used to hold good numbers of Pied fly and Wood warbler with small numbers of Redstart too. I remember Red squirrel being regular in the grounds of Hassness House, but again this was a while ago, locals may be able to help with more recent gen.
Unfortunately 'used to' is all too relevant with Wood Warbler in The Lakes. It's getting to the stage where the locations should probably be kept relatively quiet to minimise disturbance to be honest.

Geltsdale is as suggested a good site for Whinchat.

Unfortunately 'used to' is all too relevant with Wood Warbler in The Lakes. It's getting to the stage where the locations should probably be kept relatively quiet to minimise disturbance to be honest.

Thanks Stephen, much appreciated. Is White Moss Common near Grasmere still a potential wood warbler site?

Sadly that is also the case here in the FoD, seem to get an initial pulse of birds at the end of April, but few of them seem to persist in holding a territory for longer than a few days before moving off.
The number of species where locations have to be kept quiet seems to increase each year, with further declines and over-zealous toggers (and birders) adding to the epidemic of off-lead dogs in suitable breeding habitat... but that's for another thread I guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back