• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which lanius ssp? (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

I have a doubt about a shrike's ID

bird seen mid-september at Yasmina Hotel (Erg Chebbi Sand dunes).
The rump shows extensive pure white; also could it be ssp. leucopygos or an aberrant elegans?

No picture of the white wing pattern; but it was extensive; covering primaries and (at least partially) secondaries.

bird is ringed and the hotel owner said it was by spanish ringers...

is leucopygos on the morrocan list?

I can also send original pictures via mp...
Xavier Vandevyvre

Attachments

• DSCF5902-001.JPG
    DSCF5902-001.JPG
    318 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF5903-001.JPG
    DSCF5903-001.JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF5904-001.JPG
    DSCF5904-001.JPG
    285.5 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF5905-001.JPG
    DSCF5905-001.JPG
    293.5 KB · Views: 62
I would have thought it would have been rung as a Desert-type elegans? Location would obviously point to that, variation in Desert types rather than a clinal difference? I am no expert and just split the birds into dark, coastal types and pale interior ones.....I have lots of photos of Maroc shrikes and a lot show variation in plumage tones and wing-flashes etc and obviously the lighting conditions exert an effect.

You could contact Euring. There are 2 contacts listed for Spain or 2 for Maroc @ Rabat and El Jadida. Presumably the ringers were using Euring bracelets? If so the info pertaining to what they rung it as would be there somewhere?

Laurie:t:

I don't have experience about leucopygos because I haven't seen one. But as Laurie said, if it was me I would count it as an elegans owing to its white plumage and also location.

leucopygos race is not on the Moroccan list nor on the Algerian and Tunisian lists.

The ringers at Merzouga are mainly from these organisation: Institut Català d’Ornitologia, Societat Ornitològica de Menorca, el Grup AU d’Ornitologia.
You can contact Gabriel Gargallo (email here) for information if you want. Please keep us informed if you found something interesting.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back