• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to see redpoll? (1 Viewer)

Now is just about the peak passage period of Redpoll on north Wirral.There were nearly 200 over this weekend. These are the average annual passage over Red Rocks by half months. Most birds fly highover or circle, but most days a few will drop into the Poplars at the north end of the marsh.

Its a similar pattern to Hilbre, but there are a fair few more birds on most days.

Attachments

• redpoill.jpg
    redpoill.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 72
Agree there. Definitley not 'nailed on' during abirdrace and I don't think last years tea mmanaged to find one.

No Redpoll yet. Have had several walks in Stanney and hope to get to Hoylake at the weekend.
Spent the morning at Moore looking at the LSW tree. Heard some quiet drumming coming from the tree/near by but no luck.
I'm going to start a, 'tried to get but failed', bird list.

No luck at Red Rocks this morning though we did not get there till after 8. The weather has changed and it was cool and windy.
We did meet Keith from this site however, which was great.
He pointed out Whitethroats, Blackcaps and several warblers within a few minutes of introduction.
He also told us about the Ring Ouzel which was at Leasowe yesterday along with umpteen Wheatears, Yellow Wags etc.
So we went for a look but they were not showing for us, or we are too useless to find them!!

Last edited:
I was there until about 8.30. There was very little overhead passage, though there was a Ring-necked Parakeet. Did you see any of the singing Grasshopper Warblers, several of them are really showy.

hi jeanie

if you know the redpolls call notes as they fly over you will never mistake them in flight
they do have a metallic kind of call note in fact all the common finches have their
own distinctive call notes and if they use them i can be confident enough to know
what they are you could say once heard never forgot.

Hi Jane and C.T.
We heard the Grasshopper in several places but only got a glimpse.
I have some bird calls on my mobile phone and we played it, Redpoll call, before we arrived but did not hear much from overflying birds.
I know that the passage will soon end. Do they do the return trip in the same place?
In other words are they back at Red rock in the Autumn?
Many thanks

you get them in autumn, but in much smaller numbers - see the graph above. I'm happy to point them out to you if there is another warm still morning before May

Went to IMF yesterday. Apparently they had Redpoll on the feeders a couple of weeks ago.
Apart for a pair of Garganey and some Spotted Redshank, what made the visit great was the bird sound.
Positively deafening along the board walk.

Hi Jeani
Just been reading your thread. I get Redpolls in the garden and since I put up a niger seed feeder have had large numbers on it. If you are able to put up a niger feeder you could get lucky as they do have a knack of finding them (although winter is generally better). Worth a try (ang Siskins and Goldfinches love niger too.)

You are so lucky to have them on your feeder.
I live on the outskirts of Chester and have quite a nice selection of birds on the feeders, which include niger.
We get Goldfinch and many of the common birds in the summer. In the past we had Siskin in the Winter but not for the last few years. The star of the last 2 winters were a pair of Reed Bunting.
Many thanks for your suggestions.

Many thanks for that information, Mark.
Have just returned from 4 nights in Scotland, 3 at Grantown-on-Spey where we saw Capercaillie, Ring Ouzel, Crested Tits, Ptarmigam and a Golden Eagle but no Redpoll.
Will try to get to Delamere on Thursday.
If not will go the following week.
Many thanks once again.

Have spent the morning at Delamere. We parked at the Whitefield's car park. Did not find any Redpoll though there were lots of small birds flying about very high up in the heavily foliaged trees. Had listened to our track of Redpoll flying but there was so much bird sound that we were more confused than ever, though we have finally learned Willow warbler.
We did see evidence of several predated birds and have been told that there is a Goshawk about.
That would be an exciting find!!
The visitors center no longer keeps a bird list since someone stole the book. They do not plan to replace it because,"People keep writing rubbish in it".
What a shame.

It has taken a year but we have finally seen Redpoll. Not in Cheshire but just over the border at Worlds End. A large mixed flock with Siskin, Goldfinch and a Cross bill in the small larch wood near the car parking area. Had wonderful views so well worth the wait.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back