• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is this mushroom?? (1 Viewer)

JDV

Was out taking pictures with my new camera last summer and found many of these very small (1") mushrooms. Just wondering if anyone can ID them. Thanx.

Attachments

• bf.jpg
    bf.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 207
JDV said:
Was out taking pictures with my new camera last summer and found many of these very small (1") mushrooms. Just wondering if anyone can ID them. Thanx.

The small size and widely spaced gills makes me think they are most probably in the Marasmius genus. Marasmius ramealis is not dis-similar but that's all I can say.

I notice that you are in America and your species are sometimes unknown to us!

Talking of mis-ids, in America it is not uncommon for Asian immigrants to mistake young Death Caps for Straw Mushrooms, which are widely eaten in Asian food, esp. Chinese. It's not hard to guess that Death Caps are not edible, and that a slow and painful death usually occurs within a week of ingestion.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back